Most memorable Manly game in your lifetime

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Frankly, after 50 years of watching, I can't remember a more electric, red-blooded game than the win against Melbourne in round 25. The atmosphere was amazing, and the match generated more debate than any game I can remember.

Normally I live in the past, but why test memories when this match had such much passion?

I am along the same lines as mark. Dad, my sister (the driver), My Brother and I on fathers day 2010 sat on the hill and watched I think Melbourne beat us in the 20's and 1st grade. I cant remember the score in either game but Im pretty sure we drank more then all melbourne fans together. Great afternoon as getting to Brookie is a priveldge.

Mark from Brisbane said:
Living in country NSW (as I did for most of my life) I didn't actually get to the the Sea Eagles play live until 1973. I had just turned 18 and my brother (who lives in Penrith still to this day) took me along to Penrith Park.

I forget the exact score (and who was playing) but it was huge 73-0 or something like that....I forget because I was 18 and could legally get a beer, and my big brother got me well and truly pissed so much of it was a blur....however I'll never forget the buzz about being there to see them for the first time.

And number 2.

My first visit to Brookvale Oval, 1982 or 1983 or 84 (can't remember exactly) but whatever year it was it was the largest crowd ever at Brookvale. The game was V Parramatta and back in the days of Sterlo / Kenny / Price / Fatty / Crusher...we actually lost the game BUT what a buzz it was for a boy from the bush to be standing on the hill for the very first time.

Sorry this will be different to many in terms of the "best comeback, "biggest score", "best atmosphere" but for me both games are very special......as was my first Grand Final in 1978.

Sadly I missed 72/73 (still at school and living 650 Kms form Sydney) but am very proud to say I have never missed a grand Final since then!!

The memory is a little hazy but Im thinking 70 -7 against the Chocolate Soldiers (Penrith) back when it was only 5 points for a converted try. It would be worth checking as I think it might have been our largest ever score.

bones said:
Manly 61 St George 0 from 1994 @ Brookie

Also the two years in a row (05 and 06) Vs Penrith at Brookie where Manly were behind by around 20 points in the second half and came back to win, on the back of BK, both times.

The thrashing of the Balmain Tigers in the top of the table clash at Brookie in 1987.

that 61 - 0 was awesome has any got it on dvd or video

Great idea for a thread by the way Ernie. It has been great to stroll down memory lane in the off season!

Haha!! Yeah you just reminded me. Awesome try!!!
castle eagle said:
MadMarcus said:
Daniel said:
Although it was Northern Eagles, the first Golden Point game stands out in my mind.

I was sitting near the fence with my Dad, and when it went to golden point, the whole crowd (all 5000 or so hahaha) all closed in on the fence and were standing in the walkways etc, the atmosphere was absolutely amazing.

As for games on TV that have stood out, it's so hard to name just one, and more recent ones take over.

I know you said aside from Grand Finals, but the 2008 Grand final was one of the best displays of football you will ever see, that game had just about everything a manly fan could want

If I recall correctly that golden point game was against Parra at Brookie. I thought we were back to being Manly by then but if the team was still called the Northern Eagles I'm pretty sure it was after the JV had died and the "Manly is Back" t-shirts had been circulated. I didn't watch any Northern Eagles matches until the JV had died but I was definitely at that first ever golden point game.

That would be up there with the memorable non-GF matches for me too. The other ones would be when Blocker Roach patted Eddie Ward on the head at Brookie, 61-0 against the Dragons (I remember going in thinking it would be a tight match!), Manly beating Melbourne 13-12 in 2007 off the back of an Orford field goal and the first post Super League match in 1998 between Manly and Brisbane when Harrigan sent Toovey and Hoppa off.
i remember on the monday after the game i tore the back page from the paper & mailed it to a mate who is a parra fanatic with nothing else in the envelope. i found out later that he went ballistic when he opened it:D

Napper said:
Smacking saints in the semi 38-0 i think at brookie was good in 08. I was on the hill with 5 saints supporters. Being from kogarah myself and yelling f**k off back to kogarah at the saints supporters leaving at the 70th minute was a pleasure.

that is the one for me, beaver playing his last game at brookie & scoring a try with a charge-down, not to mention the crawling along the ground after the ball to score.

Yeah the NRL are f***in idiots. What better way to promote the game of RL. For free. All over the world... unbelievable.

Earnie the Eagle said:
Can you remember something that was not in your lifetime? :D

On the topic – there are so many memories of wonderful Manly victories that it's almost impossible to choose one. Following the fortunes of the mighty Sea Eagles has been one constant in my life since childhood. In fact it has been in my life longer than practically anything else - longer than my kids, my job, my relationships, my home … no wonder we get emotional about our footy!

Oddly, one match that stands out is one I never saw. It was 1971, I was a kid with Saturday arvo sporting commitments, but Manly were playing the match of the day against the might of Souths, who back then really were a genuinely mighty side. But we had been building, and that year had brought in Mal Reilly to join the other superstar we had in Bobby Fulton.

This day I went to the lengths of asking my mum to tape record Frank Hyde's 2SM commentary so I could listen when I got home. When I got home and listened I wasn't disappointed, we scored a clear cut win. And Frank's call of our 2 superstars combining down the left for a couple of classic tries always sticks in my mind. Reilly had chipped and ran through and Bozo was beating players with a subtle swerve and speed. Frank was in awe of these guys, he said Reilly doesn't so much run, he lopes along like a gazelle.

Anyway I later saw a couple of highlights on the tv news, but never got to watch the whole match. Though we didn't go on to win our first premiership that year, everyone knew from then on it was just a matter of time.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Earnie the Eagle said:
Can you remember something that was not in your lifetime? :D

On the topic – there are so many memories of wonderful Manly victories that it's almost impossible to choose one. Following the fortunes of the mighty Sea Eagles has been one constant in my life since childhood. In fact it has been in my life longer than practically anything else - longer than my kids, my job, my relationships, my home … no wonder we get emotional about our footy!

Oddly, one match that stands out is one I never saw. It was 1971, I was a kid with Saturday arvo sporting commitments, but Manly were playing the match of the day against the might of Souths, who back then really were a genuinely mighty side. But we had been building, and that year had brought in Mal Reilly to join the other superstar we had in Bobby Fulton.

This day I went to the lengths of asking my mum to tape record Frank Hyde's 2SM commentary so I could listen when I got home. When I got home and listened I wasn't disappointed, we scored a clear cut win. And Frank's call of our 2 superstars combining down the left for a couple of classic tries always sticks in my mind. Reilly had chipped and ran through and Bozo was beating players with a subtle swerve and speed. Frank was in awe of these guys, he said Reilly doesn't so much run, he lopes along like a gazelle.

Anyway I later saw a couple of highlights on the tv news, but never got to watch the whole match. Though we didn't go on to win our first premiership that year, everyone knew from then on it was just a matter of time.

1976 grand final,i was 6 years off being born,i remember that game

Some of the most memorable games for me have already been chosen. Therefore I'll pick another. I can still remember Cliffy on a lazy Saturday in April 1991 (round 6) destroying the Premiers Canberra at Bruce Stadium. The score was 46 to 12. In typical Manly style, the first half was outstanding with the maestro doing what he did best; putting people through gaps that only he could see. He did everything right. The second half was controlled and we just never gave them a sniff. Remember watching it at home and fortunately I recorded it. It was a live Sat arvo game with Arthur Beetson and Warren Bowland commentating. I would watch that tape over and over and over. Gave me so much joy. This is outside the scope of the question but does anyone remember Toovey scoring a try in 1992 game against Penrith where he went from a scrum 60 metres beating 6-7 players. He then handed off to one of my all time favs Craig Hancock to score. Was at Brookie that day. Can still remember the roar for the little Warrior. I have that on tape too.

Mine were the Great Britian test at Brookie, and the 61-0 flogging of the Queens

Great thread.... Too many to have a number 1 favorite but lots of stand outs.

2008 V the Sharks at Shark Park.

Half way thru the season and a win for either team would mean top spot on the ladder. Ricky Stuart had been on the radio during the week building it up as a huge test of where the Sharks were at and confident they would win at home. From memory Manly scored 4 tries in the first half and went on to win easily. After that I was waiting to hear Stuart come on the radio to explain what happened.... he finally came on but didn't say a word about the game. I could just imagine how furious he was.... funny stuff.

2008 V the Eels at Parramatta stadium

Manly were 2-3 and another loss would mean 4 losses from 6 games to start the year. It was pouring with rain and the players were getting injured left & right. The Eels came back and hit the front and their fans were giving it to a small contingent of very hardy Manly fans who'd braved the weather on that cold Saturday night.

I was on my feet in my lounge room riding every second thinking if they could just keep it close they might jag a try and win the game. Last tackle, less than 10 mins to go, they were all bunched behind the ruck and Jamie Lyon put up a bomb (Hail Mary), it bounced and Glenn dived on it. From there they worked it to the posts and L'Estrange scored the winning try. I was so proud of them for how they gutsed it out and of all those Manly fans going berserk at the ground. I always considered that game the turning point in what set them on their path to the title.

Great memories...

Only game I have seen at Brookie was Cliffy's 300th & was against Wests I think, Beaver had a blinder.

Daddycool said:
2008 V the Eels at Parramatta stadium

Manly were 2-3 and another loss would mean 4 losses from 6 games to start the year. It was pouring with rain and the players were getting injured left & right. The Eels came back and hit the front and their fans were giving it to a small contingent of very hardy Manly fans who'd braved the weather on that cold Saturday night.

I was on my feet in my lounge room riding every second thinking if they could just keep it close they might jag a try and win the game. Last tackle, less than 10 mins to go, they were all bunched behind the ruck and Jamie Lyon put up a bomb (Hail Mary), it bounced and Glenn dived on it. From there they worked it to the posts and L'Estrange scored the winning try. I was so proud of them for how they gutsed it out and of all those Manly fans going berserk at the ground. I always considered that game the turning point in what set them on their path to the title.

I was there. Great game.

falcon said:
bones said:
Manly 61 St George 0 from 1994 @ Brookie

Also the two years in a row (05 and 06) Vs Penrith at Brookie where Manly were behind by around 20 points in the second half and came back to win, on the back of BK, both times.

The thrashing of the Balmain Tigers in the top of the table clash at Brookie in 1987.

that 61 - 0 was awesome has any got it on dvd or video

You might be able to buy it here
http://www.rugbyleaguefilms.com.au/

There was a cracker of a game at the scg against Parra in 06/07 I think it was. Were down most of the game but came back and ox kicked a field goal from 40 out to win in golden point after Tim smith missed 2 sitters from in front.

Eagle Eyed Cherry said:
Without doubt for me it was the 1995 clash with the Canberra Raiders at Bruce Stadium. Both teams were unbeaten after 13 rounds & the Super League war was fever pitch. I travelled down for the game & the place was jammed packed. From memory both Cliffy & Tooves were sinbinned late in the game & Canberra seemed sure to win. However Cliffy took an intercept from a Ricky Stuart pass & somehow got a miracle pass to Hoppa to secure the win in the dying minutes.

No crap here, I still use the score from that game 1608 as my pin for some online stuff.

Never forget that game, Manly were all over them. I think it was 10-2 just after halftime and they sent a Manly player off. Was there on the hill :)

NYEagle

For me it was round 7 in 1975 agaist Newtown at Henson Park . Manly won 25-12.

Memorable because it was the first game of footy I ever went to . I knew nothing about nothing back in those days . We lived at Petersham at the time , so Dad took me a long .

Memorable because on that Sunday arvo I discovered this great club and began a journey that has brought me countless years of enjoyment .

I basically became a Manly tragic that day because they won . I often wonder what would have become of me if the Jets had got up instead of Manly , but geez I'm so glad they didn't .

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6