My top 3 manly memories

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
1. Toovey's try from the scrum base at Brookvale Oval; although i've only seen it as highlight on a dvd because I was 2 years old when it happened.

2. The newspaper clippings of the boys celebrating the 08 GF win on the balcony of the penthouse.

3. Beaver running off Cliffy for numerous trys.

40 nil, and Beaver's try in particular, has to be the best.

I remember a huge comeback against the Roosters in the mid 90s. We were down about 24 nil or something and there was a really loud and obnoxious Roosters fan sitting in the stands near me, complete with a rubber glove on his head (supposed to look like a Rooster I guess but just looked like a c@ck), who was just incessantly yelling "Roosters" for the entire first half. We came back to win it on the back of some Cliffy brilliance and all I could hear at the end of the game was a drunken Manly fan (he was probably drowning his sorrows in the first half) yelling "Crifffyyyyy..... Criffffyyyyyyy..."

And does anyone else have this on their list?

My top 3........

1996 ARL Grand Final. The first ever game I was able to attend.

Round 22, 1998. Manly travel to Adelaide to play the Rams at Hindmarsh Stadium. Beaver scored a hat-trick as the Sea Eagles continue their hot streak with a 32-10 win in front of 7,459 fans (which included myself).

2008 Grand Final. Other than the GF record 40-0 thrashing of the salary cap cheats.....was there a better moment in Manly history than when the Beaver scored that day?

There have been hundreds of great Manly memories for me over the last 40 years.

Memory 3: Manly 64 Parra 12 at Parra stadium March 1988. To see their rent a crown fans piss off with 20 minutes to go, Priceless!

Memory 2: The 2008 Grand final. To bury the drizzle after what happened the previous year and to see the club as premiers again when many of us in the 2000-2002 era thought that our club was gone.

Memory 1: I am being sentimental here, my greatest memory of supporting Manly is the month of September 1978 , when in my opinion our greatest team overcame extreme odds to win the 78 premiership and my memory of own fans in the Sheridan stand at the SCG who went through that journey will always bring a smile to my face and the sight of Graham Wombat Eadie being the difference in the grand final replay against the sharks. That for me made my love for this club permanent.

So many highlights ,,,not in any order but just reeling them off as they come - just random !!

I've lived in Melbourne since the early 90's so not many live games but I still follow this Club with a passion

Ok

1. 2008 GF Win - a side that was once one lunch ( the famous Ian Thompson / Max Delmage lunch in 2002) away from folding to regroup and win the Premiership in a big way was a special moment in this club's history.

2. 1978 Finals series - I saw live the loss to Cronulla week 1 then next week we were down a couple of tries against the hated Parra - we were gone . Eventual Premiers 2 weeks later - the Wombat Graeme Eadie destroying Cronulla in the GF replay . 6 game final series . Unrivaled in Aust football history - all codes

3. 1976 - after losing to Parramatta 3 times that year , holding out them
win the GF was magic. Waving flags with the local kids ( me 12 yo ) at Iris st Frenchs Forest after that GF was a Good memory . Another highlight was beating the then Premiers Easts in ' 76 at Brookvale and after running on the field hearing Kevin Stevens say 'F off ' to the Manly fans getting in his face .... !!

4. 1978 ( again ) sorry part 2 so this is 2 (b)
Rainy ,dog of a day at North Sydney Oval. Manly had just been beaten 30-5 by Souths after a few other losses and our season was on the line . We had a few out injured that day. We were behind most of the day. I was a 14 kid with my old man standing in the rain near the corner post to the left of that rotten possum infested Fig Tree. Next to us and behind us were the typical obsessive Anti Manly bitching backstabbing Bears supporters . We were down 10-6 late in the second half. Hell on earth . Suddenly , a guy Tony Ashdown gets a try out wide on the western northern end . Up
Walks Ex Bear John Gray to take the Kick from the sideline . Backstabbing Norths people behind us ' arrr Gray you're a washed up wanker etc ' . He puts it over . 11-10 to Manly . We turn around to the ashen faced Bears . ' Take that ,,,,' we won a few min later . That win set up that whole famous season . Without that Kick going over , maybe that would not have happened .
My hatred of the Bears was cemented that day.

randall on donnely,got to be the best tackle ive seen floating rib shot
randall on bob orielly,sat him on his fat bum
randall knocking bishop into next week aftera coathanger on bozo.

There have been hundreds of great Manly memories for me over the last 40 years.

Memory 3: Manly 64 Parra 12 at Parra stadium March 1988. To see their rent a crown fans piss off with 20 minutes to go, Priceless!

Memory 2: The 2008 Grand final. To bury the drizzle after what happened the previous year and to see the club as premiers again when many of us in the 2000-2002 era thought that our club was gone.

Memory 1: I am being sentimental here, my greatest memory of supporting Manly is the month of September 1978 , when in my opinion our greatest team overcame extreme odds to win the 78 premiership and my memory of own fans in the Sheridan stand at the SCG who went through that journey will always bring a smile to my face and the sight of Graham Wombat Eadie being the difference in the grand final replay against the sharks. That for me made my love for this club permanent.
I know it is an old used cliche but you needed to be there in 78 when we played 6 games in 24 day
Something that can only be described as magical and made me a life long fan.the chants and singing has never been heard coming from the Sheridan stand like it again and to one the players stood and applauded the support

sleeping outside the SCG and being first in line- jumping the fence at 2 am and pinching the big league mags and selling for a swigs of port or (fondles )from a pretty girl
And to make sure I am not stuck in a time warp I have to rate sitting next to Maxta this year when we beat the cows in the 2015 GF

When that happens Maxta I will come and find you for a yagoona or two

My top 3 are in amongst all those stated previously including that Brett Stewart try against the Tigers but a few matches that sit high up the list
1. Brett Stewart's return from an unjust suspension in 2009 against the Tigers round 5, big crowd, big atmosphere
2. 1996 (I think) again the Tigers, Dan Stains shapes up to Haumono and gets absolutely flogged, the crowd went berserk!
3. I think it was 2003 Saturday night against the Cowboys, it was horrific weather absolutely pissing down. Not many people turned up, you would have been lucky to have 100 on the hill - but my best mate and I decided we would stay strong and support the team so we stood in that rain and cheered our guts out for yet another loss. And when our boys won in 2008 I was with that same mate and we said "remember that game against Nth Qld?" It's a cliche but enduring the bad times make you appreciate the good even more

randall on donnely,got to be the best tackle ive seen floating rib shot
randall on bob orielly,sat him on his fat bu
randall knocking bishop into next week aftera coathanger on bozo.
Best tackle I've ever seen from a Manly player. Igor was a classic tackler. Young Jake Turbo so reminds me of him.

There's been so many moments and most of mine have been mentioned here. So I'll add some different ones.

1) 2011 win over Roosters in Rd 2. This was Forans coming of age. We were injury ravaged, Killer was out and a host of others. We scored early and then the Roosters did....enter Gus Gould 'flood gates about to open'. But the boys just fought on so hard. Brilliant.
2) 2011 win over Cowgirls in Semis. With Gift out I was worried. And the Cows led 8-0 at half time. I was really getting worried. Then we won 42-8. One of the best halves of footy I have ever seen. We just tore them apart repeatedly. The look on the cows faces at the end was unbelievable.
3) A game in about 2008 when we played the dogs. And Brent Kite just took on their forward pack singlehandedly. A truly great performance.

I was at that rainy match at North Sydney Oval. The winger's name was I think Tony Ashworth. My great memory was September 78, Sheridan Stand and all that. I was 14. I remember queuing outside the SCG overnight for general admission for the Grand Final. Getting mugged by a St George supporter who pushed in (they were in the reserve grade GF). An amazing food and beer can fight the next morning. Getting shelter from said cans under a vinyl sign called "The Lord Ted Goodwin Stand" supplied by some kind dragons fans. That GF was my greatest memory seeing Tom Mooney score of a Terry Randall (!) bomb right in front of me and my mate.

The other great memory is a fantastic all in brawl against the magpies in May "79 at Brookie. Right in front of us. Steve Knight, Dallas Donnelly, Les Boyd, Bruce Gibbs, Ian Thompson. Big blokes punching hard as they could and still standing - one of those punches would have laid me out for a week.

Another memory from the 2008 GF. Loved the Beaver's try but also remember Glenn Hall's huge run up the middle in the lead up to a try - just fantastic.

My top 3 are in amongst all those stated previously including that Brett Stewart try against the Tigers but a few matches that sit high up the list
1. Brett Stewart's return from an unjust suspension in 2009 against the Tigers round 5, big crowd, big atmosphere
2. 1996 (I think) again the Tigers, Dan Stains shapes up to Haumono and gets absolutely flogged, the crowd went berserk!
3. I think it was 2003 Saturday night against the Cowboys, it was horrific weather absolutely pissing down. Not many people turned up, you would have been lucky to have 100 on the hill - but my best mate and I decided we would stay strong and support the team so we stood in that rain and cheered our guts out for yet another loss. And when our boys won in 2008 I was with that same mate and we said "remember that game against Nth Qld?" It's a cliche but enduring the bad times make you appreciate the good even more
Lol dan stains throws the first punch didnt he? He got destroyed.

1978 Finals run - phenomenal toughness to play that many games in such a short period of time. To a young fan it didn't seem like such a big deal, just something that your team did every September, but looking back now it is an effort that will never be matched in the modern era.

Phil Blakes 82 and 83 seasons. The guy was a freak.

40 - 0. I'll be surprised if that isn't in most fans top 3. The fact that Beaver scored in that game is just the icing on the cake. How good was that day.

Agree with these in the opposite order,
  • Blakey
  • 40 zip and beavers expression before he came on saying yeh OK but can i score a try
  • then I may have to put a wombat try in, when he scored at the football stadium after catching a bomb and running over every player in the opposition, cant remember the year but we were late for the game and as i was looking for a seat with my old man we watched the great man from the other end right under the posts where we were standing

mal reilly v piggins headbutt demo derby
steve knight brawling the balmain side and winning
bozos grubber kicks

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8