• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
I will renew because even though I hate some of the stuff going on, I love my team more.
It's not a choice. I carried on deluxe last Friday watching that debacle of a second half even though I knew full well I was behaving like a 2 year old.

It has sucked this year in a way I hope I never experience again.

People need to remember when we had to share the license with Norths. We were kind of alive like Illawarra are. I never want to experience that again. Walking around on life support.

I don't know what the Penn's agenda is. I just don't get them. They don't seem to give a flying continental so why are they still here ? It's costing them big time but they show none if the passion Rusty shows for Souffs.

They should never have sacked Tooves. His results justified keeping him on. The problems are the guys in the suits not the guys in the boots. Get your forking act together and give us a winning football team to support. If I wanted to lose, I'd support the Squeels.

Well said mate.

Didnt relaise Des was on the board all these years. Silly me I just thought he came into the club and turned it from a loosing basket case (a bit like now) into one of the greatest teams of the 2000's . Must be mistaken.

I'm sorry you missed 2011, was a good year up until Just after the GF when Des shat all over us, ripping out key people who were "manly" as such for more money

Everyone wants to win ,few however prepare to win , preparation is really where you win or lose .
Many factors are important and make up the whole ... however without desire, there is nothing meaningful ... no preparation is adequate, no effort is 100% .... no heart big enough or fight long enough ....

It all starts with wanting to win ... everything else that follows is as a result of that one desire ....

Many factors are important and make up the whole ... however without desire, there is nothing meaningful ... no preparation is adequate, no effort is 100% .... no heart big enough or fight long enough ....

It all starts with wanting to win ... everything else that follows is as a result of that one desire ....
If you are going to make an @BOZO post you should include a meme of some sort, surely you could have found a Sylvester Stallone character to back up this thought?

I think too much emphasis is placed on coaches winning percentages.It might surprise people that in the history of the NRL since the game began only one in three coaches have better than 50 percent records and it is worse than that in the modern era due to the long term dominance of Bennett and Bellamy.

The rosters they have been saddled with in the past , whether their style suits the playing group, whether the coaches strengths address the weaknesses in the roster .... it’s a long list.

I like Henry for the job. His style is based on building everything off a solid defence unlike our sieve like defence at the moment, he has a calm demeanour and has some steel about him when it comes to dealing with the players.

In my chats with him he also seems to be a very intelligent person in a general sense which serves to give a coach a sense of balance overall.id be happy for him to get a crack.

Last edited:
Do all the 'not renewing' and abandoning people actually want the club to die? They want a reason to kick us out. I say we don't give them one.
Abandoning support of Manly is playing into Greenberg's hands.
There has to be better solutions from us supporters.

Whilst I hate the thought of giving the Penn’s money I agree we only aid Greenslime by not attending games or being members!!

I think too much emphasis is placed on coaches winning percentages.It might surprise people that in the history of the NRL only one in three coaches have better than 50 percent records and it is worse than that in the modern era due to the long term dominance of Bennett and Bellamy.

The rosters they have been saddled with in the past , whether their style suits the playing group, whether the coaches strengths address the weaknesses in the roster .... it’s a long list.

I like Henry for the job. His style is based on building everything off a solid defence unlike our sieve like defence at the moment, he has a calm demeanour and has some steel about him when it comes to dealing with the players.

In my chats with him he also seems to be a very intelligent person in a general sense which serves to give a coach a sense of balance overall.id be happy for him to get a crack.

Mate you can’t say those things on Silvertails, your post should have been an hysterical rant!!

Come on, lift your game!!

Didnt relaise Des was on the board all these years. Silly me I just thought he came into the club and turned it from a loosing basket case (a bit like now) into one of the greatest teams of the 2000's . Must be mistaken.

Des operated on the old addiction principle. He indulged the club financially through back ended contracts and for a time created for Manly and then Canterbury, a state of ecstasy, where they had more of the better players than other teams could afford. But there were consequences as with drug use, that there was the morning after when you had to pay for the indulgence.

The trick for Des was to use the ecstasy period to the club's and his own benefit, and then leave just before the fall. He left Toovey and then Barrett a mine field as he has done with Pay at Canterbury. The question to be asked is are we prepared to accept maybe 5-6 years of increasing success and maybe one or two premierships, and then face the same period near the bottom, or are we prepared to just stick to a stable financial state over the decade and a half, with less of a chance of getting a premiership but little chance of getting the spoon.

Its the old Biblical conundrum of Joseph and the Pharaoh's dream of seven fat cows and seven lean cows. Do you indulge for the 7 years and then suffer drought, or do you balance your assets to cope for the entire period. Obviously Des saw the opportunity for success in two clubs, but knew the long term consequences. Do we want that again?

I know it probably won't happen but I've been thinking about the suceess of QLD in origin and how they achieved it. (Aside from a gun team for many years.) They had a QLD legend at the helm (Meninga) and very astute tactical blokes (Eg Hagan, Henry) in the background. So in my humble opinion the best scenario for us would be Toovs as head coach (Manly legend) and Henry as his assistant. I think we can learn a lot from Qld's success. I know I'm dreaming and I know Cartwright has been inexplicably extended but hey, its nice to dream sometimes right???

Desire is not the key that opens doors to success . Discipline is
I see it all the time

Trent had the desire to be a super coach , but when the going got tough he could not handle adversity and wanted to quit
People that have discipline do not fall apart on their journey to success
There is no easy way to success . No one gets spoon fed to get there Trent .
You cant build a tough culture with people in charge wanting to get spoon fed .

Another example .....

I have seen plenty of guys that come to the gym that desire to transform their body and look like a beast
These guys come in the gym like starry eyed puppies so pumped up and enthusiastic and determined to build a body like a bull terrior and for the ones that fail proves that desire is not enough .

The only common thing that the ones that fail to get results and quit to the ones that succeed and meet their targets is simply Desire

The blokes that succeeded are the blokes that had Discipline

The ones that failed started with desire but had succumbed to challenges they had to over come and prevail
The ones that were successful and are now walking like proud peacocks with their shirt off also started with desire but had what it takes to get there and that was DISCIPLINE

Without DISCIPLINE we can all kiss your dreams good bye

JPEG-image-E9FBB23890B6-1.jpg

Desire is not the key that opens doors to success . Discipline is
I see it all the time

Trent had the desire to be a super coach , but when the going got tough he could not handle adversity and wanted to quit
People that have discipline do not fall apart on their journey to success
There is no easy way to success . No one gets spoon fed to get there Trent .
You cant build a tough culture with people in charge wanting to get spoon fed .

Another example .....

I have seen plenty of guys that come to the gym that desire to transform their body and look like a beast
These guys come in the gym like starry eyed puppies so pumped up and enthusiastic and determined to build a body like a bull terrior and for the ones that fail proves that desire is not enough .

The only common thing that the ones that fail to get results and quit to the ones that succeed and meet their targets is simply Desire

The blokes that succeeded are the blokes that had Discipline

The ones that failed started with desire but had succumbed to challenges they had to over come and prevail
The ones that were successful and are now walking like proud peacocks with their shirt off also started with desire but had what it takes to get there and that was DISCIPLINE

Without DISCIPLINE we can all kiss your dreams good bye

View attachment 9331

Sorry .... you are wrong ..... without the desire first there is no discipline second third or fourth or any other necessary factor your motivational memes can dream up to sound important ....

All good mate. Did not mean that reply to come across as aggressive (which it does reading it back)

Interesting month coming up.....

and I could have worded my original comment a bit less personally I meant it really as a more general comment directed at all of us, we can easily be sucked into the spin & crap that is most of the media content but in this case it may have been quoted from players .... I hope they're faith in Carty is justified

The issue for me is if we stick with outsiders again and have another abysmal year in 2019 it will literally be 'spot the spectator' at Brookie after a half dozen losses and fan morale will be at an alltime low. If we have Manly people at the helm in at least some bloody capacity I think fans will cop an average year or two because at least we know the coaching staff genuinely DO care and bleed maroon and white - as opposed to asshats in transit before they can better themselves elsewhere. But i'm talking common sense so definately wont be happening.

In reality there are very few coaches in the world across all sporting disciplines that have the ability to sustain success, especially in environments with a system for equality such as the salary cap. Generally, the few exceptions are talented motivators able to identify players with potential and get the best out of them while also having a sound strategic/tactical methodology that allows for compromises in star power at certain positions.

On the next rung are coaches who are able to be successful over shorter periods of time where they can take a squad with a clear vision, establish it, get the players to buy in and have a shot at a premiership.

Then there are the establishers, who can build a squad and culture but rarely have the strategic/tactical nous to make it all the way.

I'd be happy with either of the above 3 in our current position. What I don't want is a coach who is experimenting and trying to work out his identity while also not being able to develop players.

• 🏆
Reactions: Sue
Depends if we actually want a Manly team to support or not.
I totally understand that there can be many reasons why people may or may not be club members. All good. On the other hand I really think the anti-Manly media assault this year is affecting Manly supporters. It seems like even Manly hates Manly. We hate the owners, coaches, players, Brookie. It's playing into Todd's hands. Low memberships and match attendances will help the NRL justify getting rid of Manly.
The club is in a hole but without supporters there is no club.

This.
Exactly.

Kind of reminds me of the post SL pre NE days where rationalisation and criteria were the keys for the future NRL.
I made a point of being a member and going to as many games at Brookie as I could.
Yep, there were some lean times on the field but my thoughts were that I didn't want to be sitting at home one day with no team to support ruing the fact that I hadn't done my bit to help preserve MY club's existence

Paying my membership ( even the Leagues Club that I never went to ) and putting my bum on the hill were all I could do.
My daughter who was 7 or 8 didn't understand the big picture either but we kept going and even though we ended up as the Beagles we still had a club to support, she is now 27 and we still go as often as we can
even though scheduling etc makes it difficult. We buy each other a membership each year for Christmas.

She loves the club and memories they have and do provide, eg Tezza's try and Reeves' conversion v the Bronco's in '99 to level the game at 26-26.
FYI - last year whilst down in Melbourne she dragged her partner halfway across town just to go to Snakes restaurant on the off chance he may be there. He was, got chatting and they ended up hanging out with him drinking cocktails, discussing favourite tries etc till the wee hours of the morning.
She still can't believe it and she was struck by his thoughts that he was surprised that the fans thought so much of him.

The footy club brings out all sorts of emotions and provides lifetime memories so keep the faith and keep on being Manly.

Being perfectly honest, I can't see it being either (or both in some way) Tooves or Des. The Penn's have been down that road before and I don't think they want to go there again, not with those two anyway.

I'm betting that its going to be Henry. I know the players seemingly want Cartwright, but Henry is a smarter choice and is more likely to get results. Maybe not a premiership, but with the talent we do actually have he could easily have us as regular Finalists.

Self discipline is required from top to bottom of this club. If Penn wants to keep this club alive in it's current location and constitution then he needs to get his ego in check and put his business cap on. The club needs serious financial injection and taking on a partner to share the cost is smart and losing full control is a small price to pay especially when there might be much left to control. He needs good advisers and he needs to listen to them. Firstly as a club we need to close ranks and stop agenda driven leaks to so called friends in the press. Throwing fish to an alligator in the alligator pond won't stop the the rest of the alligators eating you when you turn your back. Secondly it's time for proactive and planned organisational restructure and not the same inept reactional quick fixes that we have seen in our player recruitment choices over the last 18 months (in fairness the salary cap rubbish has messed things up big time). We need an experienced hard head as our coach who will have high expectations of his supporting staff and the players. Players need to respect and fear their coach not have a bromance with him. We don't need to be signing a coach to a long term agreement especially if we are bringing a coach back into the NRL it should be for one season only (that way if things don't work out we can have a shot at signing Clearly when he finishes up at the Tigers). The club needs to win back it's supporters and the club must have realized this year that they need the sausage roll eating keyboard bandits to come to games to survive. No crowds and the future for Brookvale Oval and Manly is dire - sorry Zorb! Tooves left the joint with dignity and has resisted bagging the club or any individuals whilst on press duties. Toovey has Manly at heart and continues to put the club before himself. Tooves should be given the gig for one year but i suspect the biggest opponents to this might be Fulton and Zorb, noting what Tooves said on controversy corner about Penn probably getting poor advice from those around him. Time for Penn to start listening to a different voice. A successful leader surrounds himself with the right people and doesn't keep them past their use by date! All things, all people and all careers come to an end its just a matter of timing and circumstance.

If you’re not a member of either the MWSE/FC/LC and therefore not a stakeholder in the Club’s future, then don’t complain if one day there is no future for the Sea Eagles.

Withholding your membership over essentially short term decisions you disagree with, is a zero sum game.

I would like to see Toovey or Hasler back too, but it appears unlikely for now.

Well buying a membership to support Scott Penns vision for the sea eagles isn't right either. I much rather not commit any money while the Penns refuse to do what's right in hiring a Manly man such as Hasler or Toovey.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11