New coaching staff

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Heath could possibly be the u/20's premiership winning coach
Could it be that it his decision ? Surely they haven't tapped him on the shoulder as well ..

No. No. No. No. No.
That is not what I said.
Barrett has my full support - he is the coach of my team.
The culture - the MANLY culture - has been stripped. That's what I'm saying. I'm sorry you were unable to understand that.

This is the EXACT root of the issue.

Change is great, life changes all the time and those unprepared for change will be left behind .

BUT, every club in the competition has looked at what we have done and dreamed of having the same success.

Where does that success come from, a unique culture, the Sea Eagles culture.

And the very heart of that culture has been ripped from its body and stabbed through the middle.

I agree change is good , and agree we have to be supportive of the new guys , but our culture is gone.

Perhaps we can build a new one, perhaps we will just be like so many of the clubs without a culture .

Who knows , only time will tell.

So …on that logic how stupid were the people who employed Donny in the beginning?

What had he won at that stage?

Same with the support staff, not to mention previous head coach Hasler and most of the players, for that matter.
Donny actually work with championship winning RU teams.

Yeah okay mate whatever you reckon "have no idea how rugby league works or the culture"
Yes we had a great winning culture but for the best part of the last 1 and a half years it quickly diminished. Sometimes things get stale and times change and nothing lasts forever.

Change is sometimes needed to get everyone out of their comfort zone, which its understood that the players were.

When des started his regime with all these untried coaching staff and players was that previously successful? No it wasn't because everything was new and fresh. Who's to say that the new system won't be a winning formula??? Let's just wait and see before you're quick to shoot it down.
Des was a 2 time premiership winning player and he had tooves as his deputy. So he had that, i guess.

Des was a 2 time premiership winning player and he had tooves as his deputy. So he had that, i guess.
Des was always going to succeed, he's a smart man and a great football brain.
But many successful players have failed in the coaching ranks.

I can only assume that most of you that support and back this kind of behaviour, must either be very young and have not supported the club through the NE days or you have only been supporting the club since we won our premierships and you don't realise what the wilderness in Rugby League looks like and how hard it is to win Premierships.

"

You sir are a goose, you really don't understand my view do you? Things probably should've been done differently and kept in house.
I've been supporting manly my whole life, just as my family has. Yes I was around during the northern Eagles days and I remember supporting manly shamelessly in the early 2000s when we were in the wilderness. I travel an hour each way to all of our home games and a few away games and have attended all of our gfs since 07.

You sir are a goose, you really don't understand my view do you? Things probably should've been done differently and kept in house.
I've been supporting manly my whole life, just as my family has. Yes I was around during the northern Eagles days and I remember supporting manly shamelessly in the early 2000s when we were in the wilderness. I travel an hour each way to all of our home games and a few away games and have attended all of our gfs since 07.
Well done mate! and I mean that sincerely. So then you do understand what its like. Maybe because I have lived through and watched the Canberra team from the heady early 90's to the dismal joke that they have turned into the kings of mediocre. All whilst I was busy being a Manly supporter and laughing at them. They went through exactly the same turmoil when Clyde, Stuart and Daley were coming to the end. The owners John and Les McKintyre handled the situation badly then and burned Stuart and Clyde. They got rid of most of the club and saw Meninga as their main guy. They got it really wrong. Meninga lasted a year and Ricky Stuart went on to win a comp with dogs flegg side and then the Roosters in the NRL. They said just want to concentrate on the future the likes of Brett Finch as halfback. alot of hard core fans hated the club for what they did to Stuart and Clyde and most of them stopped turning up and the Raiders lost their aura and probably will never get it back. I just hope and pray that this scenario doesn't happen to us. Once you burn loyal servants of the club you tend to lose your culture. When I say this I am not saying Toovey shouldn't have been let go, but part of our culture and the way we did business was we didn't get into sacking coaches mid contract. But the systematic sacking of just about everyone that has been part of our successful era including people in the front office is a really risky move and most of the time this kind of turn and burn attitude to loyal servants doesn't pay off and actually has the reverse effect. Here is hoping we are one of the lucky ones that it doesn't effect.

Also a gun team of players as well. Fulton always said you are only as good as your cattle.
Did you see the team Des inherited from Peter Sharp it was dismal he built that team from scratch. Now everyone copies what Des did in those areas of sports science and player ratings. Des was an innovator. A greedy sack but an innovator none the less.

I have always been of the opinion that the Manly-Warringah 'culture' started with the very first M-W teams in 1947. With players from that era (and onwards) like Whitehead, Kellock, Bull, Bliss, Willoughby, Schubert, Arthurson, O'Connell, (Jack) Lumsden, Rowles, (Fred) Brown, Mossop, Willey, Ritchie, Hugo, Hunter, Daley, Diversi, Sinclair, Stanton, et al.

They started building the Club's reputation.

Well done mate! and I mean that sincerely. So then you do understand what its like. Maybe because I have lived through and watched the Canberra team from the heady early 90's to the dismal joke that they have turned into the kings of mediocre. All whilst I was busy being a Manly supporter and laughing at them. They went through exactly the same turmoil when Clyde, Stuart and Daley were coming to the end. The owners John and Les McKintyre handled the situation badly then and burned Stuart and Clyde. They got rid of most of the club and saw Meninga as their main guy. They got it really wrong. Meninga lasted a year and Ricky Stuart went on to win a comp with dogs flegg side and then the Roosters in the NRL. They said just want to concentrate on the future the likes of Brett Finch as halfback. alot of hard core fans hated the club for what they did to Stuart and Clyde and most of them stopped turning up and the Raiders lost their aura and probably will never get it back. I just hope and pray that this scenario doesn't happen to us. Once you burn loyal servants of the club you tend to lose your culture. When I say this I am not saying Toovey shouldn't have been let go, but part of our culture and the way we did business was we didn't get into sacking coaches mid contract. But the systematic sacking of just about everyone that has been part of our successful era including people in the front office is a really risky move and most of the time this kind of turn and burn attitude to loyal servants doesn't pay off and actually has the reverse effect. Here is hoping we are one of the lucky ones that it doesn't effect.
I 100% agree with you about the culture, we had a unique way but we seemed to be losing it due to reasons that we will not know.
I just hope that the changes are for the good. Time will tell but the boot shouldn't be laid in before next year has even started. Some times things need to be completely overhauled instead of a few changes and possibly this is the case.

@CJAeagle you are trying very hard to defend the indefensible young fella, I will at least salute you for never giving up on that.

I agree we have to wait until next year now to see if the " big bright new plan" works, but you cannot blame everyone ( including me) for being bloody dirty about what's transpired and still happening.

The only decent coach who's also a former Manly player is Hasler and I don't want him back. Toovey is a Manly legend but IMO not a great coach.

Bozo know his stuff and if he thinks Barrett has what it takes, then that's good enough for me. I don't know how he'll go, hopefully he does well & Manly can get back into the finals.

Carty article.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...cowboys-believer/story-fnj9yd9w-1227554841153

NRL

Former Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright always a Cowboys believer
  • CONNOR O’BRIEN
  • GOLD COAST BULLETIN
  • OCTOBER 03, 2015 12:00AM
BE THE FIRST TO RESPOND
841548-89f66704-68d3-11e5-8eb6-26889b2eed8c.jpg

John Cartwright, assistant coach of the North Queensland Cowboys in Sydney ahead of Sunday’s Grand Final.

WHEN John Cartwright’s coaching stint at the Titans came to an unceremonious end in August last year, the man himself could hardly have believed what was to come the very next season.

After a five-month break, he signed on as Paul Green’s assistant at the Cowboys for 2015 and is now on the verge of being involved in a first premiership for the Townsville-based side.

His old club, meanwhile, with ex-Cowboys coach Neil Henry at the helm, suffered another dour season battling to avoid the wooden spoon.

Having already signed on as Trent Barrett’s assistant coach at Manly in 2016, it seems Cartwright picked the perfect window of opportunity to be part of North Queensland’s success.

CARTWRIGHT ‘FELL OUT OF LOVE WITH LEAGUE’

story-fnj9yd9w-1227554841153

FORMER TITAN SUES SEARLE OVER LOAN

841079-d734c3e6-68b3-11e5-8eb6-26889b2eed8c.jpg

Titans coach John Cartwright has bounced back to be part of the Cowboys’ grand final coaching staff after his exit from the Titans last year. Photo: Getty images

But it wasn’t all luck — the 50-year-old always believed the Cowboys were genuine contenders.

“The biggest motivator for me to come up here was that I really thought the side did have the potential to get to a grand final,” Cartwright said.

“So in that regard, personally it has been fantastic … I couldn’t have asked for much more.”

The move north came at the cost of leaving family behind, though Cartwright considers himself lucky to still be involved in rugby league.

“That’s the job. I did have to up and move and it’s a long way away and pretty remote at times but to stay involved in football it was something that I was willing to do.”

The risk paid off, with friends and current and former Titans players sending their grand final best wishes just eight months after his appointment was announced.

The 1991 Panthers premiership winner said the club had left no stone unturned in finding success.

And Cartwright believes that the all-Queensland finale is so evenly matched it could “come down to the bounce of the ball”.

841126-a28c3708-68fb-11e5-95d3-14a82c556d0b.jpg

North Queensland Cowboys assistant coach John Cartwright at training.

Another enjoyable factor has been their dedicated fanbase, with many putting tough economic conditions aside to pay thousands in airfares to cheer on their team.

That’s not even to mention the Johnathan Thurston factor.

“I would have loved to have him at the Titans. I think we certainly would have been close to winning a few titles down there if he was running around with the Titans.”

Cartwright said Thurston’s class and skill was on display for all to see but only up close did you realise his courage and dedication to the team.

“He’s the most courageous No. 7 I have seen. And what a team player he is.

“There’s nothing individual about Johnathan — what he does is so he can win alongside his teammates.

“That’s a real quality that you need to have to win these big games.”

Former Titans prop Luke Bailey, whose eight-year career on the Glitter Strip ran parallel with Cartwright, said he was barracking for the Cowboys purely because “Carty” was there.

“I loved my time under Carty,” Bailey said.

“He had some time off and it made him realise how much he missed the game and I think he went up there with a fresh approach.

“Everyone that is involved with that side is responsible for getting them to the grand final.”

Bailey said he was happy to see Cartwright succeeding after the end to his career on the Coast that “maybe took him a bit by surprise’’.

“I probably, in hindsight, take some responsibility for not being as successful as we (should have been),’’ Bailey said.

“I would give it all on the field but probably off the field (I would now) try to create a better core senior playing group that had higher expectations of each other.”

The best bitis the link about Searle being sued.
So on GF day we have our 20's led by turbo, player of the game in the state championship and the assistant of the cowboys.

I 100% agree with you about the culture, we had a unique way but we seemed to be losing it due to reasons that we will not know.
I just hope that the changes are for the good. Time will tell but the boot shouldn't be laid in before next year has even started. Some times things need to be completely overhauled instead of a few changes and possibly this is the case.
The other side of the coin to not laying the boot in is not bending over cheeks spread for the penns and their recruits.

• 😆
Reactions: Rex
The only decent coach who's also a former Manly player is Hasler and I don't want him back. Toovey is a Manly legend but IMO not a great coach.

Bozo know his stuff and if he thinks Barrett has what it takes, then that's good enough for me. I don't know how he'll go, hopefully he does well & Manly can get back into the finals.
I'd take Des back in an instant. He is a Manly Legend. One of the best coaches of the modern era.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6