New signings to be announced #nextweek

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We don't need either Hodkinson or Carney. If the rumours of us considering either of these two are true, we need to wipe that option.

Unless, of course, we see zero potential in Wright, Hastings, Cullen or Metcalfe. Then go for gold. But personally, I think there is a viable option in house. I'd give Hastings first crack as he solves our goal kicking issues as well.

For mine, Wright is not a 5/8. Reminds me of Walker in terms of his ability to hurt teams by running a bit wider. Metcalfe I haven't seen much of but he is reportedly very talented. We'll see. Cullen tries to do too much. A bit like Wright actually.

Can we please dump the Dad's Army policy ?
Metcalf actually signed with us because he wanted to learn under Barrett and Dce so thats encouraging . The only thing is that he is raw to be thrown in with the big boys , might be a year away or so . Cullen is a terrier and plays above his weight but just dont see him as our halves option ( bench at best ) . Hastings is the way to go and he is apparently training there ,but i think manly will go in another direction if they can , hence the Carneys , pearces , hodkinsons interest . In all honesty a fit level headed focused Carney for a year or 2 would be invaluable and at a low cost .But if manly snag him which T Carney will turn up and here maybe lies the manly thinking problem.

Metcalf actually signed with us because he wanted to learn under Barrett and Dce so thats encouraging . The only thing is that he is raw to be thrown in with the big boys
The biggest problems for teenagers in NRL is dealing with the physical battering and being able to tackle the big blokes - some of whom are ginormous.

If he can actually play then he may earn a shot at some stage during the year. After all, young Cleary was up to it. The elite kids are well trained these days.

D.T.
Trent Hodkinson has ‘plenty of good footy left in him’ as talks with Manly continue

[URL='https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Manly%20target%20has%20%E2%80%98plenty%20of%20good%20footy%20left%E2%80%99&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailytelegraph.com.au%2Fsport%2Fnrl%2Fnews-story%2F4cf1ae7c3a6aedda02f549dbf6fc3bb5']TRENT Hodkinson’s so-called dodgy knee is not the health risk everyone is making it out to be, and the former NSW Origin-winning halfback feels he has “plenty of good footy left in him”.[/URL]

That is the view of Hodkinson’s agent and former top-grade player David Riolo, who has defended one of the NRL’s good guys amid injury “misinformation”.

Riolo plans to continue talks with Manly coach Trent Barrett today to see if they can strike a deal for the out-of-favour Newcastle playmaker and reunite him with the club which gave him his start.

Although Hodkinson has a year to run on his Knights contract, Mitchell Pearce’s arrival means he must find a new club to have another crack in the NRL.

For that to happen, Hodkinson would need Newcastle to carry a significant whack of his lucrative $800,000-plus contract for next year.

There is even talk that if Hodkinson stays at the Knights he might play off the bench in NSW Cup because of competition in the halves from Pearce, Connor Watson, Brock Lamb and Jack Cogger.

Barrett is interested in Hodkinson as a possible partner for Daly Cherry-Evans following the departure of Blake Green.

Barrett also has a rap on recruit Lachlan Croker, although the 20-year-old only has limited NRL experience with Canberra.

It would be a big risk for Manly to go into the new season without an experienced halves partner to take pressure off Cherry-Evans.

While Hodkinson’s knee problems also cast doubt over his worth, Riolo is adamant his issues can be managed.

“When he is my age (45) he is going to be a shot duck but so am I, so are most of my mates,” Riolo said.

That is the nature of a contact sport.

“It doesn’t leave your body in good shape in later life.

“But there has been a lot of misinformation (about his knees). His health is fine.

“You could check the stats but I don’t think he has missed a game in the last three years through his knee.

“He didn’t get picked a couple of times last year, he got dropped. But it wasn’t his knee.”

Riolo said Newcastle coach Nathan Brown had been supportive of Hodkinson’s situation.

However, that doesn’t make it any easier for a man who has conducted himself honourably on and off the field throughout his career.

“Trent just gets on with it and does what he is supposed to do but it is not an ideal situation, is it?” Riolo said.
But that is modern-day football.

“You can either sulk or you can get on with it and Trent is a very positive person and he just gets on with it.

“He definitely feels that he has plenty of good footy left in him.

“Trent would be a great acquisition for Manly.

“I would like to see that happen. But it is not at that stage yet.

“I will talk to Manly tomorrow and see where they are at.”

Well that's a relief, his agent reckons his knees are OK.
giphy.gif

D.T.
Trent Hodkinson has ‘plenty of good footy left in him’ as talks with Manly continue

TRENT Hodkinson’s so-called dodgy knee is not the health risk everyone is making it out to be, and the former NSW Origin-winning halfback feels he has “plenty of good footy left in him”.

That is the view of Hodkinson’s agent and former top-grade player David Riolo, who has defended one of the NRL’s good guys amid injury “misinformation”.

Riolo plans to continue talks with Manly coach Trent Barrett today to see if they can strike a deal for the out-of-favour Newcastle playmaker and reunite him with the club which gave him his start.

Although Hodkinson has a year to run on his Knights contract, Mitchell Pearce’s arrival means he must find a new club to have another crack in the NRL.

For that to happen, Hodkinson would need Newcastle to carry a significant whack of his lucrative $800,000-plus contract for next year.

There is even talk that if Hodkinson stays at the Knights he might play off the bench in NSW Cup because of competition in the halves from Pearce, Connor Watson, Brock Lamb and Jack Cogger.

Barrett is interested in Hodkinson as a possible partner for Daly Cherry-Evans following the departure of Blake Green.

Barrett also has a rap on recruit Lachlan Croker, although the 20-year-old only has limited NRL experience with Canberra.

It would be a big risk for Manly to go into the new season without an experienced halves partner to take pressure off Cherry-Evans.

While Hodkinson’s knee problems also cast doubt over his worth, Riolo is adamant his issues can be managed.

“When he is my age (45) he is going to be a shot duck but so am I, so are most of my mates,” Riolo said.

That is the nature of a contact sport.

“It doesn’t leave your body in good shape in later life.

“But there has been a lot of misinformation (about his knees). His health is fine.

“You could check the stats but I don’t think he has missed a game in the last three years through his knee.

“He didn’t get picked a couple of times last year, he got dropped. But it wasn’t his knee.”

Riolo said Newcastle coach Nathan Brown had been supportive of Hodkinson’s situation.

However, that doesn’t make it any easier for a man who has conducted himself honourably on and off the field throughout his career.

“Trent just gets on with it and does what he is supposed to do but it is not an ideal situation, is it?” Riolo said.
But that is modern-day football.

“You can either sulk or you can get on with it and Trent is a very positive person and he just gets on with it.

“He definitely feels that he has plenty of good footy left in him.

“Trent would be a great acquisition for Manly.

“I would like to see that happen. But it is not at that stage yet.

“I will talk to Manly tomorrow and see where they are at.”
This clown manages Carney as well, he knows that once the NRL clear Todd, he’s going to be much easier to get a gig for than Hodko, as nice a guy as he seems to be. Newcastle reported knee issues as a big issue this season. So, who should we believe? The club paying him $800k or the agent trying to line him up with us?

If memory serves me correctly, the shanked goal attempt by Brock Lamb unfolded while Hodko was on the field. The commentators explained that the kick, which was forty out, was too long for Trent to take as a result of his knees. Now his manager is attempting to feed us the line his knees are fine. If we sign him, even at 200k, it is a massive step backwards IMO. Put it this way, he might not be the goal kicking saviour some are saying he will be. He sure as sh2t left young Lamb out to dry against the Dogs.

Been thinking about our roster quality, so thought I'd compare our roster positionally to say the Chooks, to see where we stand. Do you guys agree with the below?

01. Tom Trbojevic < 01. James Tedesko (tough one)
02. Jorge Taufua < 02. Blake Ferguson
03. Brian Kelly < 03. Latrell Mitchell
04. Dylan Walker > 04. Sio Siua Taukeiaho
05. Akuila Uate < 05. Daniel Tupou
06. Jackson Hastings < 06. Luke Keary
07. Daly Cherry-Evans < 07. Cooper Cronk
08. Darcy Lussick < 08. Jared Waera-Hargraves
09. Apisai Koroisou < 09. Jake Friend
10. Marty Taupau > 10. Dylan Napa
11. Frank Winterstein < 11. Boyd Cordner
12. Curtis Sironen < 12. Mitchell Aubusson (tough one)
13. Jake Trbojevic > 13. Isaac Liu

14. Lewis Brown < 14. Michael Gordon
15. Addin Fonua-Blake > 15. Shaquai Mitchell
16. Lloyd Perrett < 16. Zane Tetevano
17. Jack Gosiewski < 17. Eloni Vunakece
18. Matthew Wright < 18. Reece Robinson

I have 14/18 Roosters players better than their counterpart with us.

Would love everyone's input.

Been thinking about our roster quality, so thought I'd compare our roster positionally to say the Chooks, to see where we stand. Do you guys agree with the below?

Interesting ratings proposition Ryan but i would [ and based on actual value to their team ] still slightly rate Tom , D C E , Api , Siro and Perrett ahead of their counterparts . What"s that a bit closer to 50 - 50 perhaps . Hopefully and for whatever reason and all things normal Manly seem to have the wood on the Roosters most years . Hastings and Kelly to me are still not assured positions but i take your point in comparisons . Manu would probably be in a Roosters side next year and downgrading Brown , surely sacrilege / .

TKO isn't playing centre for them - he'll be 13. Ferguson will push in there and Manu, Gordon or Reece Robinson on the wing. You've got Matterson and Radley who will more than likely be on the bench in front of those other nuffies

Are you going out of your way to makes us feel bad on a Monday , we know it going to both but that’s the cards we have been dealt.

I'm not convinced as many here on the Roosters

The Cronk experiment could backfire based on squad harmony and the fact Cronk is slowing
Depth looks paper thin

That said Tedesco will be huge for them and that Butcher kid looks a gun

This clown manages Carney as well, he knows that once the NRL clear Todd, he’s going to be much easier to get a gig for than Hodko, as nice a guy as he seems to be. Newcastle reported knee issues as a big issue this season. So, who should we believe? The club paying him $800k or the agent trying to line him up with us?

I agree I think we should go with our youngsters for now and maybe rotate them in the trials.

The transfer market is unpredictable and I think if we wait a "fit" experienced half will want out from somewhere and we would be an attractive destination with the situation we're in

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8