News: Hasler saves Mayer in boardroom

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
DSM5 link said:
Dan, I'm in agreement with you on a lot of your points.  He's there because there's no one else on the horizon and thankyou for last year, is that it?  I think Lyon had more to do with last year than many realize, but that's another discussion we could have later.  Surely the club has options.  If he's on 100K as you surmise, then OK, keep him on, but for goodness sakes blood someone else, give someone else the kicking duties and beg Jamie to stay.  I think Orful is getting up to the 30 mark so 'they' better start looking now..And I'd like to think they look in our own backyard.   

i'm pretty sure he is over 30.

I dont think he is as bad as you would have us believe. To me it seems that your biggest gripe with the guy is his salary, but no-one knows what his actually salary was.

There were rumours it was around 1million over 4 seasons and to be honest, at the time he was the best half on the market and worth the money given our other playing stocks.

We had money to spend on a player like him and heavily loaded his contract for the first year as to make him cheaper as his contract ended and we got closer to a premiership. Basically we left money in the kitty for others.

Half backs are expensive and you can only ever have 1 top shelf half on the books at a time. There is bugger all else out there and even with this talk of Foran, there is very little talk outside of the Sea Eagles of him, or any other "rising" stars in that position in the ranks.

We are going to see a shift in coming years where games are not solely won off the back of having the best halves combo, because simply there aren't any real fire crackers "best evers" coming through

Good halves don't grow on trees. If we could find a better and cheaper one that would lead us to a premiership I am all for signing him. Until then Orford is the best option we have.

DSM5 link said:
OK, I concede.  I'm over him anyway.

For that I applaud you. For some reason I am talking sense today, it seems losses do that to me :)

A bit humble pie helps me out a lot :)

Look if there is someone better on the market I would take them at the right price, but for now there is no-one looking and no-one knocking on the door, we are no longer a team on the way up and therefore, less of an attractive offer for anyone.

Our best hope is in finding a young half like Cherry Evans or Foran and putting a good deal of our eggs in that basket.

I still stand by my comment the other year that we should have bought Soward, I still rate the kid and he would make up for a lot of things we lack at the moment

LMAO, just as i read that i hear on the commentary goes to Soward and he passes it forward

Fluffy link said:
LMAO, just as i read that i hear on the commentary goes to Soward and he passes it forward

that was a line ball, but you could hardly fault him for 1 forward pass

ahhh sweet justification....who just scored off his own kick

wasnt faulting him just finding humour in the irony

as a player he has a good attack but a poor defence. Would not work at 5/8 right now as our half back doesnt have a strong defence and you can only afford to carry one player like that

Fluffy link said:
wasnt faulting him just finding humour in the irony

as a player he has a good attack but a poor defence. Would not work at 5/8 right now as our half back doesnt have a strong defence and you can only afford to carry one player like that

poor defense....you read the Tele don't you.

I saw him pull off some great tackles tonight, one only 2 tackles before Lockyers try

Soward was great tonight and his defence was very strong.  However most times his defence is soft.  But I am with Dan I would have liked to signed him. 

DSM5 link said:
Soward is crap Dan.  Funnily, I'd take Orful over Soward any day.

he can kick goals and in play kicking is outstanding.....he would cost a quarter of what Orford costs.....plus I wanted him as a 5/8 not a half back. Orford and Soward together

he wouldnt come for 1/4 thats 125K, no chance

he would be 200K or there abouts

He had one of his best ever games tonight but normally his defence is crap

If we could just get a kicking game like Sowards into ours. The only time we dominated field position like he did was with Killer @ 5/8 in the finals.

He was almost not resigned 2 years ago dragons pity signed him at the very last hour I would say his contract is for peanuts and I reckon he is worth 200k

Current NRL halves
Thurston
Prince
Orford
Wallace
Cronk
Kimmorley
Mullen/Dureau
Pearce
Hornby/Head
Jones
Marshall
Sandow
Finch
Seymour
Sammut
Herbert

Arranged roughly in order IMO. On last year's form Ox is right up there, no reason he can't do even better this year.

To those who complain about how he much we paid to sign him - we wouldn't be reigning premiers if we hadn't, so how much is that worth to you? Get over it. As for next year, old saying: 'a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush'

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6