News: Lowe to land CEO job

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
To answer a couple of questions further up, He is mid 60s I think, has some twins who would be 4-5 now that he had while in his late 50s, and as far as I know, the brain issues have all been sorted

As for his appointment, I am quite happy to give the bloke a go and judge him on what happens from here. Many won't, and for me I already know some minds on here are already made up on how he will perform no matter what he does so I won't consider their opinions as much in the months ahead as I will some others

Gee you bit well Vid. The conspiracy theory does not represent what I actually think.  It was meant more of a joke than fact which plays on the rumours of what we do hear on the grapevine about both parties would like to buy the other one out but neither will budge on the ownership issue.  Their common agreement on a new CEO who some may think is a poor choice could be a way out to solve this issue further down the track if he in fact does not work out and causes the company further into debt.

Thanks Ryan,
I'm not treading a party line on this or pushing any political barrow and I know you and others have the best intentions for the club so not playing a "who's right or wrong here"?

Who knows whether whoever is appointed will be the right person as any hire is a leap of faith?

I am putting my faith in people that I know and who have proven to me to be trustworthy in their commitment and loyalty to the club - I may be wrong but that is all I have to go on at this moment in time.

It may well prove that the new CEO is/was not the man for the job and time will tell but to condemn him before he is even hired and to belittle those that are working to appoint the person contributes nothing.

By all means have an opinion and people are well within their rights to voice them but if it adds fuel to the divisiveness we have seen in the past then it contributes naught as said.

Good to hear you now have a FC membership and I had a motion passed at the last board meeting that 2010 financial members would be allowed to attend the 2009 AGM as observers so that they could see the board elections and especially Steve Menzies proposed for life membership of the club - stay tuned for details?

Will be a magic Manly moment (the smart money would suggest that the proposal  will be passed with a majority?)

Cheers
Vid

PS  Jethro - Nah mate but others will bite as you know!!

So are we to assume that anytime someone creates a post questioning things or raising issues of concern or dissent we are to endure these elongated statements of politically correct rebuttle ?

Haha I have an old tape with that on it Pepi, was his way of getting Ridge to earn respect from the rest of the boys

Matabele link said:
How old is Arko now?
I think he just had his 80th birthday. I spoke with him on the Gold Coast this year and without any disrespect to the great man who is enjoying his retirement, any chance of him filling an administrative role was long ago.

Matabele link said:
How old is Arko now?

Kenneth Richard "Arko" Arthurson AM (born 1 October 1929 in Glebe, New South Wales) is an Australian former rugby league footballer, coach and administrator.

Arthurson played, coached and was later an administrator at the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles club. He played at halfback in the club's first Grand Final appearance in the 1951 season and later coached them to the 1957 Grand Final as a 27-year-old and followed this by leading the club into another Grand Final appearance in 1959. Unfortunately for Arthurson and Manly, both Grand Finals were played against a St George side in the middle of their record run of 11 straight premierships.

Following his coaching stint at Manly, Arthurson became the club's secretary taking over from Jack Munro after Munro's passing in 1963. Arthurson held this post for 20 years, during which time he helped build the Sea Eagles into one of the most successful clubs in the league by use of his negotiating skills and the club's finances, something which made Manly the team others loved to hate. During his time as club secretary, Arko signed players who went on to become legends not only at Manly but also in rugby league. His list of players includes Graham Eadie, Bob Fulton, Ken Irvine, Terry Randall, Mal Reilly, John O'Neill, Phil Lowe, Paul Vautin, Les Boyd and Kerry Boustead.

In 1984 he became the Chairman of the New South Wales Rugby League (NSWRL) and later the Australian Rugby League (ARL). He was made a Member of the Order of Australia in 1988 "in recognition of (his) service to Rugby League football".

In the mid-1990s Arthurson led the ARL's fight against Rupert Murdoch's News Ltd in the Super League war[1]. On 28 February 1997, in order to improve the chances of a peace deal with Super League being reached, Arthurson resigned as ARL chairman. Also in 1997, Arthurson released his book, Arko, My Game.

In 2000 Arthurson was awarded the Australian Sports Medal for his fourteen years presiding over the NSWRL and ARL.

The Ken Arthurson Stand at Brookvale Oval is named after him and was officially opened on Sunday 14 June 1995.

During his time as head of the ARL, Arthurson also served as President of the Manly Leagues Club until retiring in October 2004. He then retired with his wife to the Gold Coast where he continues to support the Sea Eagles to this day.

In November 2009, he was awarded the 'Spirit of Rugby League Award' by the Rugby League International Federation, in their inaugural awards presentation.

Arthurson is affectionately known as "The Godfather of Manly".

Jatz Crackers link said:
So are we to assume that anytime someone creates a post questioning things or raising issues of concern or dissent we are to endure these elongated statements of politically correct rebuttle ?

Thanks for your question JC
Any questions I'm happy to answer as best I can
Concerns - I'll do what I can to soothe furrowed brows
Dissent - By all means go ahead (as long as it is factual and backed up with at least 3 specific examples to support the diss)
Elongated statements (Good phrase I think that may stick?) - sorry, will try to keep to keep things short (or at least type slower so you can keep up?)
Political Statements - "I have a dream" "8th October 2008 - This was our finest hour" "Ask not what your club can do for you, but what you can do for your team"

If Lowe is made CEO then presumably he will have to provide the board with his 5 year business plan for Manly.  This should be made available to members along with what his actual KPI's are. 

That way we can all determine if he is a sucess or not.

clontaago link said:
5 Year Plan - Win Premiership, maybe 2.

That was the same business plan that Grant Mayer submitted and look what happended to him.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7