News: Sea Eagles' begging bowl

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Well, Ryan you should be careful who you listen to. Looks like your account has been blown out of the water.

You and Mata have been on Lowe's case since before he started, not a word about how our media manager's performance or lack of. Could it be because he's related to the Penn's?

Post  automatically merged: [time]1296365064[/time]

Some posters may wonder why I'm having a go at our media manager. Well, there seems to be a few blokes pointing the finger entirely at Lowe for the lack of sponsorship. I don't know how good a job Lowe is doing because I'm not privvy to the information but surely the blame has to be shared by a few people including the owners.

i.e I just wonder how many boxes Zorba would tick from the following job description? It's a sample job description from the net:

Media Manager Job Description

Media Manager Job Profile and Description
A media manager develops and implements a comprehensible and consistent media strategy, which is used for marketing and sales initiatives, thereby increasing awareness about a particular product, service or brand. He has to research, plan, organise and manage all media channels in order to reach the company’s goals and objectives.

Duties and Responsibilities
A media manager has to make sure a reliable marketing message is created and consolidates his position in a specific product segment
A media manager must help his client to have the impact and influence
He must keep himself up to date with media trends and keeps ahead of his competitors by ensuring his company’s brand gets the best coverage in every media and has the most recall value among the customers
Media managers may also have a web-based job and have to develop and maintain the company
He has to coordinate with internal and external content managers, editors, designers, developers in order to meet his client’s needs, the company’s policies and based on that make a solid brand strategy
He should make sure deadlines are met and must maintain schedules and targets
He also has to make reports and market and present strategies to diverse audiences
Skills and Specifications
Communication skills, like in any other media job, is essential in this field
Good networking skills and interpersonal skills are also important
He must also have technical knowledge, especially in electronic or new media
Good managerial skills, understanding the use of diverse aspects of media, and creativity is also required
He should be a team player and coordinate with different departments
Education and Qualifications
A course in management, specifically media management is helpful. Also a degree or diploma in new media is also popular, besides courses in mass communication.

Before I start, swoop, this isn't a reply to your post above...so this is in no way directed at you.

Take Mayer away from the Quantum transaction, and what do you have? Mayer got the pen to paper, because the potential investor liked him. Surely it's not that hard to understand. That investor, then made the extra-ordinary statement that should The CEO get the axe, they may not take the option on their continued sponsorship (obviously this is because they didn't respect what he did, right?).

Now, take Mayer out of it. Say any other name. Pretend he was CEO. I'd back them as well. Why? He got the job done by whatever means necessary.

You all know that I was witness to how bungled (and this has NOTHING to do with Lowe for the record) a negotiation can go by way of sponsorship if not driven right. Especially a major one. There needs to be affinity. There needs to be value add. Without that, and I'll keep this simple, "major sponsors are difficult to find and/or sign."

I will not back down on this guys. Without Mayer, there's no Quantum. Full stop. It was Mayer's suggestion / decision to offer $100k to a referral partner. 

I have no doubt in my mind, if Pat Wilson were in the chair, we still may be seeing Delmege Commercial on the jersey.

swoop - can't say I disagree with your post. I can't critique Zorba, because I know nothing about what a media manager is supposed to do. I WOULD like Manly in the media more (I've been starved of Manly news for far too long).

That being said, there have been some positives. Not as many as we'd like, but remember, Zorba has other roles at different organizations he must attend to. If the  club want to improve in this area, they need to invest, and without large corporate dollars coming in, can they afford it?

Like I say, ON the field we are fantastic. If we can get the "off" part right, bring on our next premiership.

Well the job description outlines what a media managers' role is. How many boxes does Zorba tick? Imo not many from what I've seen.

You say you can't critique zorba but you can criticise Lowe without knowing what role he plays as the CEO!

BTW Ryan you don't know for a fact that Quantum signed because they liked Mayer. A major sponsor saw an opportunity to promote his product and put pen to paper. It could of been anyone in the CEO's position at the time with some decent communication skills.

swoop link said:
Well the job description outlines what a media managers' role is. How many boxes does Zorba tick? Imo not many from what I've seen.

You say you can't critique zorba but you can criticise Lowe without knowing what role he plays as the CEO!

BTW Ryan you don't know for a fact that Quantum signed because they liked Mayer. A major sponsor saw an opportunity to promote his product and put pen to paper. It could of been anyone in the CEO's position at the time with some decent communication skills.

Like the major sponsor we have now?

Ryan link said:
[quote author=swoop link=topic=186294.msg313720#msg313720 date=1296368939]

[/quote]

Geez you dribble Ryan. We are talking about the Quantum deal. Now seems to me that Craig knows what actually happened and had it been Lowe in that position at the time I'm sure he could have got their signature aswell.

swoop link said:
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=186294.msg313721#msg313721 date=1296369592]

[/quote]

Geez you dribble Ryan. We are talking about the Quantum deal. Now seems to me that Craig knows what actually happened and had it been Lowe in that position at the time I'm sure he could have got their signature aswell.
[/quote]

Then why hasn't he now?

Ryan link said:
[quote author=swoop link=topic=186294.msg313725#msg313725 date=1296371575]
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=186294.msg313721#msg313721 date=1296369592]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Then why hasn't he now?
[/quote]

Because the whole discussion isn't about now, it's about when Mayer had it dropped in his lap.

Craig Mason link said:
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=186294.msg313644#msg313644 date=1296335481]
Try again guys to dispute what I said - as fact).

Everyone bar yourself (and perhaps your friend matabelle) can see that I have already demolished your original statement.

[/quote]  Ryan's original statement was that Quantam indicated they would not renew after Mayer was knifed.  They were true to this, not renewing their sponsorship.  Pretty simple stuff really.

As for them buying into the club, as I said to vidmar, ain't they smart?  They saw an opportunity to have a say in the back office without the malignant presence of Delmege and swooped.  Lucky us. Noticeable they have not turned around and put their name back on the shirts and then tried to make out their sponsorship is philanthropic, like the old man did.

By the way, speaking of "begging bowl", can someone who has any inside info give us some information on our players? The official site was last updated  01/09/2010 as follows:-
Kieran Foran - Shoulder - Out for season
Dean Whare - Ankle - Out for season
Brent Kite - Collarbone - subject to fitness test
Anthony Watmough - ankle - subject to fitness test
Ben Farrar - shoulder - subject to fitness test
Jamie Lyon - ankle - subject to fitness test
Matt Ballin - Concussion - subject to fitness test
Joe Galuvao - groin - subject to fitness test

Shane Rodney - Cruciate knee ligament injury, out for season
Brett Stewart - Left knee injury - season
David Williams - Collarbone - out for season

Last updated 1/092010

I'd love to get some info (like a summary) of the club in its current status. Someone said Wolfman was injured again??? Groin or something I think it was, but I'm not sure???

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Craig Mason link=topic=186294.msg313707#msg313707 date=1296361550]

Everyone bar yourself (and perhaps your friend matabelle) can see that I have already demolished your original statement.

[/quote]  Ryan's original statement was that Quantam indicated they would not renew after Mayer was knifed.  They were true to this, not renewing their sponsorship.  Pretty simple stuff really.

As for them buying into the club, as I said to vidmar, ain't they smart?  They saw an opportunity to have a say in the back office without the malignant presence of Delmege and swooped.  Lucky us. Noticeable they have not turned around and put their name back on the shirts and then tried to make out their sponsorship is philanthropic, like the old man did.
[/quote]

Ryan also said that without Mayer Manly would not have signed Quantum because he was a good bloke and they liked him. If craig is correct and it did drop into his lap then your white knight comes out not as polished as we are lead to believe.

We know you're in the Penn and pushing their barrow but it's time to take your blinkers off.

How does Zorba rate as a media manager? We won't say anything about uncle zorb will we?

Quantum stuck to their sponsorship deal even after Mayer went. I don't think any sponsor would have been impressed by the amatuerish running of the club by it's owners, administation and the bad publicity over the past few years.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1296389730[/time]

Ryan link said:
By the way, speaking of \"begging bowl\", can someone who has any inside info give us some information on our players? The official site was last updated  01/09/2010 as follows:-

Last updated 1/092010

I'd love to get some info (like a summary) of the club in its current status. Someone said Wolfman was injured again??? Groin or something I think it was, but I'm not sure???

According to the media manager job description I posted earlier the process of updating and keeping fans informed falls into the criterea that belongs to Zorba's position.

Now if he can't do it, it's time he stepped aside and a new media manager who can do the job properly should be in his place.

swoop link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=186294.msg313752#msg313752 date=1296388167]
[quote author=Craig Mason link=topic=186294.msg313707#msg313707 date=1296361550]

[/quote]

Ryan also said that without Mayer Manly would not have signed Quantum because he was a good bloke and they liked him. If craig is correct and it did drop into his lap then your white knight comes out not as polished as we are lead to believe.

We know you're in the Penn and pushing their barrow but it's time to take your blinkers off.

How does Zorba rate as a media manager? We won't say anything about uncle zorb will we?

Quantum stuck to their sponsorship deal even after Mayer went. I don't think any sponsor would have been impressed by the amatuerish running of the club by it's owners, administation and the bad publicity over the past few years.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1296389730[/time]

Ryan link said:
By the way, speaking of \"begging bowl\", can someone who has any inside info give us some information on our players? The official site was last updated  01/09/2010 as follows:-

Last updated 1/092010

According to the media manager job description I posted earlier the process of updating and keeping fans informed falls into the criterea that belongs to Zorba's position.

Now if he can't do it, it's time he stepped aside and a new media manager who can do the job properly should be in his place.
[/quote]

swoop, there was an introduction to the club. The club had to provide a value add to the potential corporate partner. Who do you think did that mate?

I've seen the club provided with potential sponsors in the past, but the value proposition was poor, and nothing eventuated (this was before Lowes time, so I'm not pointing a finger at him).

Any club needs an energetic, positive salesperson at the helm. If Lowe is that guy, good for him.

Put it this way. I bet if he had attained a major sponsor, we were rallying hard for the upgrade of Brooky Oval, memberships were up, fans were happy etc, Mata and I would be in his court 100%.

I don't want this to digress into an Internet war of us and them mate. We all want the same thing. Long term viability of Manly. It's as simple as that for me. If Mayer were in the chair right now, and the status quo remained, I'd be tearing into him as well.

My sole affiliation is the club. No individual. I guess it also spreads to any treatment my mates might get as well. I'm loyal like that.

Ryan link said:

Last updated 1/092010

Back to the footie side of thing's, is the lack of informatiom regarding team progress and preperation all part of our flying under the radar mantra.

I'm sure the club is flat out with training but touching base with members during the pre season would go a long way towards keeping interest on the field and out of the office.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that supporters shouldn't have an opinion on the internal workings of the club, it's not always easy to just sit back and be a passenger, personally I'm just trying to stay positive about our future and looking forward to a bit of footie.

swoop link said:
I don't think any sponsor would have been impressed by the amatuerish running of the club by it's owners, administation and the bad publicity over the past few years.
  I rest my case.  Hopefully the exit of Delmege represents a new dawn.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=swoop link=topic=186294.msg313759#msg313759 date=1296389315]
I don't think any sponsor would have been impressed by the amatuerish running of the club by it's owners, administation and the bad publicity over the past few years.
  I rest my case.  Hopefully the exit of Delmege represents a new dawn.
[/quote]

What case?  If you mean both owners are responsible you're right. It wasn't just Delmege who upset the apple cart, Penn was just as responsible for the bad publicity. But we won't say a bad word about Penn or uncle zorba will we?

BTW Do you think Zorba's position as media manager needs reviewing or do you think he's doing a good job?

I agree that now Delmege is gone the club needs to regroup and move on.

Swoop, Zorba does need to either move on or be nudged aside.  Matas is right in his whinging about the clubs ignorance of the social network when it comes to managing media and Zorba needs to realize he's not the guy to move with the times.  Matas lets his argument down by the continued sniping about owners and managers past and present.  What he needs to do, and we all need to as well, is to get on the tails of the club and progress ideas to them directly. 

swoop, there was an introduction to the club. The club had to provide a value add to the potential corporate partner. Who do you think did that mate?

Any club needs an energetic, positive salesperson at the helm. If Lowe is that guy, good for him.

Put it this way. I bet if he had attained a major sponsor, we were rallying hard for the upgrade of Brooky Oval, memberships were up, fans were happy etc, Mata and I would be in his court 100%.

I don't want this to digress into an Internet war of us and them mate. We all want the same thing. Long term viability of Manly. It's as simple as that for me. If Mayer were in the chair right now, and the status quo remained, I'd be tearing into him as well.

My sole affiliation is the club. No individual. I guess it also spreads to any treatment my mates might get as well. I'm loyal like that.
[/quote]

As far as I'm concerned the jury is still out on Lowe because as a CEO I don't what role he was brought in to do. Was he employed to keep the peace? Obviously part of his job is to try to attain a major sponsor. But circumstances are a bit different from a few years ago. We had the GFC and a lot of companies just don't have the cash to outlay. We've also had some bad publicity which hasn't helped.

As media manager I assume Lowe and Zorba should be working together to attain a major sponsor. Is that happening? I don't know.

Maybe you should ask your bank to see if they're are interested.

Dwelling in the past isn't going to get us a new sponsor.

The club needs to move on and if Lowe goes, so be it. The club needs professional people in key positions and at the moment I don't know whether some people in these key postions are up to it. I suppose time will tell.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1296429666[/time]

DSM5 link said:
Swoop, Zorba does need to either move on or be nudged aside.  Matas is right in his whinging about the clubs ignorance of the social network when it comes to managing media and Zorba needs to realize he's not the guy to move with the times.  Matas lets his argument down by the continued sniping about owners and managers past and present.  What he needs to do, and we all need to as well, is to get on the tails of the club and progress ideas to them directly. 

I know mata is right about social networking but as far as I can see he point the finger solely at Lowe. I have not see him post a bad word about the media manager or the Penns who must share some responsibility for the lack of professialism at the club.

I just hope with Quantum onboard we can now move ahead, but are there some people in key  positions that may not be up to it.

swoop link said:
BTW Do you think Zorba's position as media manager needs reviewing or do you think he's doing a good job?
  Yeah, I do actually.  Yet another failing of the CEO.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1296452784[/time]

Matabele link said:
[quote author=swoop link=topic=186294.msg313778#msg313778 date=1296427790]

Yeah, I do actually - presuming he is media manager and not football manager, who can tell.  Yet another failing of the CEO.
[/quote]

Matabele link said:

Yeah, I do actually.  Yet another failing of the CEO.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1296452784[/time]

Matabele link said:

Yeah, I do actually - presuming he is media manager and not football manager, who can tell.  Yet another failing of the CEO.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Which CEO? It's been the same for years, he hasn't moved with the times. And yes, according to the mwse site he is listed as the media manager.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1296453421[/time]

Here's the whole list:

ORGANISATIONAL STRUCTURE

EXECUTIVE

Scott Penn
Chairman, Director & Co-owner

Max Delmege
Director & Co-owner

Graham Lowe
Chief Executive Officer

COMMERCIAL

Kieran Houlahan
Merchandise and Sponsorship Manager

Joseph Marrone
Sales Executive

John Beaumont
Sales Executive

Natale Haupapa
Merchandise and Sales Executive

Kyra Parker
Administration Operations Manager

Natalie Dias
Membership Coordinator

Samantha Best
Membership Consultant

Irene Krilich
Membership Consultant

Peter Peters
Media Manager

Mary Finkelsen
Events & Marketing Manager
Alicia Keogh
Events Coordinator and Game Day Operations

Jessica Ivers
Reception and Website Content Producer

FINANCE

Wayne Honeywood
Financial Controller

Gavin Cowan
Finance and Marketing Assistant

TEAMS

Des Hasler
Head Coach

Steve Gigg
Football Manager

Deanne Lees
Community Relations & Team Operations Manager

Grace Alder
Community Relations

JUNIOR DEVELOPMENT

Melissa Vayro
NRL Foundation Development Officer

So who do we blame on the list above?

Social "Media" should really be the marketing department's bag I'd suggest.  Media should generate content (and I think we'd all agree that's parlous) but marketing should be the spearhead of effective social media use.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8