News: Sea Eagles chasing England prop Burgess

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
OneEyedEagle link said:
Its pretty poor that we

1. Can't develop the talent here in Australia and need to even look O/S
2. Can't keep that type of talent in Australia.

Well if it helps to win another premiership why not !!!

Stupid comment. The NRL is the best Rugby League competition in the world. Burgess is a Rugby League player. He wants to play in the NRL.

Just as much sense as Australian's going to play in the EPL as it is the best soccer comp in the world.

TokyoEagle link said:
We also have a history as a club that looks at the UK for recruitment and picking winners.

Bernard Dwyer and Andy goodway to name just two.

OneEyedEagle link said:
Its pretty poor that we

1. Can't develop the talent here in Australia and need to even look O/S
2. Can't keep that type of talent in Australia.

Well if it helps to win another premiership why not !!!

Maybe so, but wouldn't that mean all the New Zealanders and Island nations are gone too?

Correct we can't keep everyone in Aus, but it works as a pretty good cleanout too.  There are so many of us playing ESL but only a handful should really be in NRL and not over there for the money/salary cap issues.

Its just not the should er charge.

Not many 20 year olds have played 70 odd first grade games for Bradford and 3 test matches.

Ideal candidate to learn the ropes of NRL under Perry King Rose and Kite. the dominste the year after. 

CliffyIsGod link said:
[quote author=OneEyedEagle link=topic=181113.msg232836#msg232836 date=1248086286]

Stupid comment. The NRL is the best Rugby League competition in the world. Burgess is a Rugby League player. He wants to play in the NRL.

Just as much sense as Australian's going to play in the EPL as it is the best soccer comp in the world.
[/quote]

CiG, never said I was against the kid coming over here to play in the NRL but I do stand by my comment that it’s poor that we do not concentrate on developing players locally.

I don’t think it will ever happen in the NRL but it could and you just have to look at the EPL how many foreigners play in that league yet at world cup level England is useless and even FIFA recognise that the influx of foreign players weaken the national sides of the future.

As for the EPL, it’s far from the best football comp in the world. If you classify paying astonishing transfer fees and player payments as being the best comp in the world then your sadly mistaken. Currently the EPL has many Arab, Russian and American tycoons willing to spend up big on the teams that they own So the likes of Murdoch media scum forces the EPL down our throats purely because he is sent packing and can’t even get a look in to buying television rights form France, Italy, Spain or Germany.

Majority of coaches in the EPL are foreign : Arsenal – Arsene Wenger (French), Man U – Alex Ferguson (Scottish), Liverpool – Rafael Benitez (Spanish), Chelsea – Carlo Ancelotti (Italian), West Ham United - Gianfranco Zola (Italian) in my book all time best player and would love him to win the premiership for the hammers, even the national side now has an Italian coach in Fabio Capello (get my drift). They are all doing it and thus the reason why it compromises the local teams.  No need to mention the number of foreign players in each side, at one stage when Arsenal won the premiership they had half the French national side that ended up winning the world cup.

The English game lacks tactics. It’s kick the ball up the other end, chase, chase, chase, slide tackle etc etc. They can hardly string together 3 or more passes and thus the reason why we are seeing such an influx of foreign coaches to develop the tactical strategy.

It’s just my opinion and you are entitled to yours, but most often I find the majority of EPL games boring apart from when of the top 6 teams play against each other.

The EPL isn’t the best competition but it’s in the top 10 comps of the world. Here list of the best leagues that I have put together.

1. Spain: La Liga.
2. Italy: Serie A.
=2. Brazil: Campeonato Brasileiro
4. England: EPL.
5. Germany: Bundesliga.
6. France: Ligue 1.
7. Holland:

Leagues of the future are the Russian, Japanese J League and the Australian A League.

eggson link said:
[quote author=OneEyedEagle link=topic=181113.msg232836#msg232836 date=1248086286]

Maybe so, but wouldn't that mean all the New Zealanders and Island nations are gone too?

Correct we can't keep everyone in Aus, but it works as a pretty good cleanout too.  There are so many of us playing ESL but only a handful should really be in NRL and not over there for the money/salary cap issues.

[/quote]

You make a valid point eggson but NZ has long been considered the 6th state of Australia.

It’s just a personal opinion that I have shared and I think the true root of all evil but a necessity is the Salary Cap forcing Manly and other NRL clubs to lose some of their big name players.

If the club is seriously looking at the kid then he must have something that he can bring to Manly. In Dessie and crusher I trust and everything they have done thus far I compliment them.

All good mate, i think everyone has a good point to make here and there.  The discussion is good for all, what isn't is that nothing is happening either way. 

In the end i'm just a guy who watches the games and that's all i can really comment on, and even that one's a toughy!+

Maybe if this kid comes over and tears everything apart, we can get him to become a full citizen in a few years and then we'll claim him as home grown  ;)

Why are we discussing soccer rubbish on here?

I thought I was on the wrong forum for a moment.

I hope Sam furthers his career in the NRL, because he aint going to get no better here!!!!

I know contracts mean nothing these days, but he still has one more year to play out, we'd be wanting huge $$$+swap if he was to go before, this kid is too talented for Super League.

And on another note, are you aware Bradford have put a bid in for Watmough aswell?

I think it would just be easier to relocate the club to Manly.

Isn't Glenn Hall or LeStrange heading that way??

Maybe he is part of the package deal?

Sounds ok... I'd have to see him play in the NRL to make an opinion but if dessie and crusher think he's a goer than he must be alright.

Burges would be our best signing since BK. If he moves to the NRL he'll be the best forward in the game within three years

I would love to see Burgess. That Ellis guy at the Tigers has been quite useful and Burgess is said to be significantly better than him.

20 is very young for a prop (think about it the best props in the game, Price and 70 cents  are mid 30's!)

My Dad always used to tell me that Manly wins premierships when we have a pommie in the side. If that be the case, then sign that pommie.

niccipops link said:
My Dad always used to tell me that Manly wins premierships when we have a pommie in the side. If that be the case, then sign that pommie.

What did your dad say about 2008?  Was hall with his white skin our pretend pommie?

niccipops link said:

He remembers beyond the andy goodways to the halcyon days of Mal Reilly, Phil Lowe, Gary Stephens and Steve Norton, and Kevin Ward (and even bozo was a pom to start with)....

Canteen Worker link said:
I would love to see Burgess. That Ellis guy at the Tigers has been quite useful and Burgess is said to be significantly better than him.

You're right, CW. Ellis has been great at the Tigers, often the best forward in a badly beaten pack. Apparently they regard him as their best signing in years: professional, dedicated, etc.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2