News: Thurston charged after verbal tirade

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It was a forward pass, and I agree IanMartin, there is an overreaction on the part of the Judiciary.  He wasn't swearing at the ref, but going beserk at the decision.  Two different things.  Anyway, if a coach can cop a fine for swearing and giving it to the refs, then why make it harder for the Cowgirls to beat Souffs next week.  Fine the guy, but no suspension.  The team only suffers and it was hardly life threatening. 

Of course Qld TV media last night mentioned this issue bot glossed over a description of the event in favour of highlighting monkey boys decision to fight the charge. Quite rightly was the intimation.

Really, this behaviour impacts officials for all sports. Who wants to do their part in any sport when you know as an official you may be sworn at for making a decision?

I used to be an active official for a different game and it is horrendous when you cop abuse for blowing the whistle. In my experience parents and relatives tended to be the worst offenders. This is what puts younger people off becoming involved as referees and umpires.

There was only 1 occasion when I was sworn at by a player and I actually delivered a classic Bill Harrigan line as I was sending them off (not that I was conscious of it at the time, a friend pointed it out later on) - "Don't talk, just go".

I guess at the end of the day Thurston is a prominent figure in the game and he should be repremanded for abusing the decision of the official. There are a lot of kids out there who look up to him, would have seen the outburst and if no punishment had been given would assume it is acceptable behaviour.

Ant80 link said:
[quote author=Jethro link=topic=183463.msg264840#msg264840 date=1275366714]
DSM5,

Swearing at your fellow team members: Yes
Swearing at the opposition: Yes
Swearing at the Referee no matter how wrong he is is just not on.

There just isn't enough respect in today's society in my opinion.  The guy in the middle who is in charge of the game being played should have respect just like parents, teachers, the elderly and Police all should have.  If a player wants to carry on like a pork chop to the referee and swear and curse and carry on with total disrespect then I say send them off or at least send them to the bin for 10 minutes to cool off.

Don't forget that they are role models as well.

Spot on.
Robinson should have taken control of the situation and just sent him off
[/quote]

Simple alright, just send him off and the message will get across the league. Robinson was simply overawed by who it was.

Indeed when I was player under a very experienced older captain coach, we were always told never to argue with the referee & cop it on the chin & move on irrespective of whether it was correct or not.
I feel quite sorry for the scutiny referees are under today & the general lack of respect shown by NRL players towards them, so much so they are almost too scared to make firm decisions without reference to up stairs.
Jethro is totally correct in that this is not just NRL but society in general & is not just me being a conservative fuddy duddy!!

DSM5 link said:
This 'role-model' thing is ridiculous.  It's the same old crap conservatives use to justify what books we should read and what movies we should watch.  Thurston can be seen going beserk.  So what?  It wouldn't have been broadcast other than the refs mike was on and used in the ABCs call.  We have some who call for the softening up period to be reitroduced into SOO games, then go all cat-like when some idiot swears.  Go figure.  Swearing at the ref?  I do it, and not because Thurston does it.     

Its the same attitude from Coffs but i guess that sort of sh!t is jsut part of life too

Anyone know when/if he is fronting the judiciary?

My supercoach team is interested to hear whether he gets off. 

Duval61 link said:
Indeed when I was player under a very experienced older captain coach, we were always told never to argue with the referee & cop it on the chin & move on irrespective of whether it was correct or not.
I feel quite sorry for the scutiny referees are under today & the general lack of respect shown by NRL players towards them, so much so they are almost too scared to make firm decisions without reference to up stairs.
Jethro is totally correct in that this is not just NRL but society in general & is not just me being a conservative fuddy duddy!!

Regardless of whether this is the litmus test of the decline of western society as we know it, the refs are there to enforce the rules of the game. They deserve respect and should demand it firmly. Most of us know that its a tough gig being a ref and they never get paid enough for what they cop. And they are guaranteed to have at least 50% of the people hating them.  :-[

The refs should think about going back to the iron disciplined rule of some of the great refs of the 1960s like Col Pearce, and cut out the over-familiarity crap which has crept into the game over the last 10-15 years or so....

None of this calling the player by his first name, like the ref's short of a quid in the pub after the game and trying to become the player's new best mate. These blokes are there to be the benevolent dictators of the game for the good of the game - not the players' mates.

It only ever needs to be: "no 7 come here...no 7 talk like that and it'll be an early shower" etc etc. ie stamp their authority on the game not try to bargain and debate/explain their decision making and be their new best mate.

Of course if the refs lift their authority behaviour and control of the game, it might require that they also lift their standard of decisions and level of consistency....

Thurston got off... and presumably he'll get off again after the news of getting off.

Bet is next captain to start 'forcing' his questioning he'll get binned. 

Eat it Jethro hehehehe  ;)

North Queensland captain Johnathan Thurston has won his appeal against a detrimental conduct charge at the NRL judiciary.

Thurston contested the grade one charge via video link from Townsville after he was sanctioned following an expletive-laden rant at referee Jason Robinson.

The Queensland and Australia halfback was furious at a forward pass ruling by Robinson in the dying stages of the struggling Cowboys' 24-20 loss to Manly on Saturday, and sarcastically told the official he should be "man of the match"

The three-man panel found in favour of Thurston, after a lengthy, and at times bizarre, hearing in Sydney.

Thurston is now free to face South Sydney at Sydney's Olympic stadium on Monday.

- AAP

Yeah whatever MB.

With these three guys as the three-man NRL Judiciary panel, of course he would have got away with it?

smsmileys32.gif

Oow woo woo woo woo wise guy, nyuk, nyuk, nyuk, nyuk ! ! !

This would have set a judicial precedent now, every player can tell the ref to go and get f**cked, and if he goes up on a charge he'll get off based on the Thurson decision. At times this game is a real joke, and this is one of them.

A penalty against Thurston would have shut him up, and if he had of continued put him in the sheds for the rest of the game, or at least ten minutes to calm down.  Being charged was way over the top and just stupid.  The precedent is not set, thank fuq.  A week for four fuqs, half a game for two, where would it end?  Jethro can go back to the slumber chair and correct my spelling (Although I must admit I owe him for that) and read Lolita. 

DSM5 link said:
A penalty against Thurston would have shut him up, and if he had of continued put him in the sheds for the rest of the game, or at least ten minutes to calm down.  Being charged was way over the top and just stupid.  The precedent is not set, thank fuq.  A week for four fuqs, half a game for two, where would it end?  Jethro can go back to the slumber chair and correct my spelling (Although I must admit I owe him for that) and read Lolita. 

I still stand by what I said earlier about treating the man in the middle with respect no matter how wrong that he may be.  It wouldn't surprise me if Thurston has set a precedent with his little tirade against the referee.  That language should not be tolerated towards the Referee under any circumstances and I see that you have agreed with my on-field recommendations for the correction of Thurston's outburst and have even gone one step further with your recommendations for for what should have been done on the field by having a penalty given against him.  As for the week off for swearing numerous times at the Referee, the off-field penalty should have still stood as it wasn't dealt with correctly on the field just like back in the day when Blocker patted the guy in the middle on the head and was awarded several weeks on the sidelines for his disrespect.

As for correcting your spelling mistakes, I only used to correct you on your incorrect use of the words "of" and "off".  I never bothered with any of your other spelling mistakes and I won't be bothering about any of them again as you should know the correct use by now and I still won't correct you on any of your other spelling mistakes.

As for what I do in my own spare time is no concern of yours as it is none of your business and what I do do certainly wouldn't be going to any slumber chair and reading "Lolita".

Good.  Thurston didn't swear AT the ref, but about the decision.  There's a difference.  Obviously Robinson didn't think he was swearing at him, or else he would have given a penalty and then marched him some more.  Get over yourselves you lillywhites and see the game for what it is.  It's a game of passion and boof with some footie skill thrown in.  I've seen many penalties given for dissension, and obviously the ref didn't think Thurston's childish outburst was in that category.  His comment about m.o.m was amusing, and I think I saw the ref have a laugh at that one.  Back on the couch Jethro. 

What a joke of a decision, this bloke can do what he wants, Spear tackles, kick players in the head, swear at refs, and get no penalty. Am pleased to see this article below from Luck

NEW Zealand Warriors captain Michael Luck has slammed the NRL judiciary after Johnathan Thurston escaped a detrimental conduct charge.

North Queensland skipper Thurston is free to play against South Sydney on Monday despite an expletive-laden attack on referee Jason Robinson for not ruling a forward pass late in the Cowboys' 24-20 loss to Manly on Saturday.

Luck was incredulous the star halfback had not been punished, suggesting Thurston's status in the game had protected him.

"I can't believe they let him off," he said.

"It's set a pretty dangerous precedent now that anyone who sprays the ref can go back to that incident and say 'well, Thurston didn't even get penalised, why am I at the judiciary?'

"Any other player on the field that night, or any team, would have been at least penalised."

Former Cowboys forward Luck said had learned to mind his language since referees had been fitted with microphones and said the incident was a poor image for the sport.

"As much as anyone doesn't like refs and they make bad calls, they're there to do a job and you've got to give them some sort of respect for them to do their job effectively.

"I can understand why Thurston was frustrated... they made some questionable calls towards the end, the referees. But the incident he was blowing up about was a right call, Thurston just lost his rag a bit and it all came out.

"Imagine how many young kids saw what Thurston said the other night and have watched countless replays since then.

"This weekend I'd hate to be a junior ref, to see what's going to happen. It's set a precedent and the NRL must be just rolling their eyes that the judiciary panel let him off."

The panel took only 20 minutes to find Thurston not guilty after his lawyer Colin White had argued the incident couldn't be classified as detrimental conduct because the NRL had kept footage of it on its website until late Wednesday afternoon.

Luck's just a sore loser because his stupid fullback got sent off and suspended FOR abusing a ref.  Thurston didn't abuse Robinson.  He went off about the decision, there's a difference.  Pity some of you jerkoffs can't see it.  Just because Thurston swears doesn't mean that every kid will.  Give the youth of today more credit.  "The NRL must be just rolling their eyes", what nonsense.  The NRL broadcast Thurston's comments all weekend on their website.  Hypocrites all, especially Luck.     

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6