News: Warriors close to Matai deal

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
some people have said on here that we cant afford to spend the full cap - maybe that is why we are not in the market for too many

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
WTF, what is Lowe doing ?

Doing nothing - fiddling as Rome burns.
Nothing good to say about him since he arrived.

He's more interested in taking games away from Brookie & doing lame TV deals in NZ & chasing dreams in PNG than looking after core business here on the north shore.

For me all he's done is upset the faithful.

Menzies left the club under Mayer ...

Anyway, back to the main issue, didn't hear it myself but apparently radio sport over here reported that Matai is keen and his decision will be known within 48 hours

Only 2 years though?  Being young and a kiwi international you'd think it'd be easy to go after a 3 yr deal around the 300-400k mark, especially with Tate leaving.

If he goes he goes, i can't do anything except hope that our war chest gets big enough to buy some really good replacements...long term.

I hope we keep Matai. He's a great character at Manly and part of the '08 GF side. If he goes I'd be glad he'd be at the warriors instead of an Aussie club.
Here's hoping for a good replacement if he flys the coup.

The Warriors are resigned to missing out on Adam Blair after learning the Melbourne Storm have no plans to release the coveted Kiwis forward from his contract.

Blair is contracted by the Storm until the end of next year but his name has been widely circulated as a player who may go on the market when the Storm look to dump players to fit under the salary cap next season.

But the Herald understands Blair won't be released because he is on a relatively low-priced contract. The Storm instead plan to release higher-earning players.

Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah wouldn't comment on specifics but the club is said to have been lining up a huge offer for Blair.

"He is the type of player we'd be interested in, particularly with his Kiwi connections, but I can't confirm that there have been any firm offers or negotiations," Scurrah said.

Blair was the top target on the Warriors' wish list but the club is now likely to set its sights on Blair's team-mate Brett White.

The chances of Steve Matai replacing departing centre Brent Tate have also decreased, with Manly chief executive Graham Lowe insisting his club is keen to keep the Kiwis centre.

The Herald understands Matai had been told by Manly he would not be offered a contract extension but the club has since changed its position after Trent Hodkinson's switch to Canterbury and Josh Perry's pending switch to Superleague.

The $100,000 increase in the salary cap for next season will also help Manly's attempts to keep Matai.

The Warriors, who have tendered a two-year offer for the 25-year-old hitman, are due to meet with his agent, Gavin Orr, tomorrow.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=10656128

03/07/10

Very, very disappojnted to read the comments that Matai had been told he wouldn't be offered an extension. Imo, he is a key component to our side in an area we lack a little bit of depth

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Very, very disappojnted to read the comments that Matai had been told he wouldn't be offered an extension. Imo, he is a key component to our side in an area we lack a little bit of depth
I suppose that's Mayer's fault?

Kiwi Eagle link said:

That was call of the coaching staff, not Lowe.

Get your head out of your arse Matas.  Your beginning to sound like Phil Gould who can't let go.  Move on  and entertain us. 

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=183827.msg271389#msg271389 date=1278119218]
I suppose that's Mayer's fault?
[/quote]

It is the fault of whoever made the call, whether that be Lowe, Hasler, Cleal or whoever

Unlike yourself Mata I am not on here to play the man, I am playing the ball

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4