News: Zorba - Harden up or ship out

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
DailyTerrorgraphHater link said:
[quote author=lsz link=topic=182811.msg256921#msg256921 date=1269486702]
[quote author=Duff link=topic=182811.msg256899#msg256899 date=1269481200]
You bunch of pretenders. Bollocks you're offended by that.

Good on ya Zorb.

In a game where blokes are physically beating the living p1ss out of each other, how can a few words possibly be of concern?

I'm not racist, sexist or any other \"ist\" but I do find all this PC stuff just too much.

Sticks & stones, people.

The point is some people would be offended by what Zorba said

As an official of the club he needs to take that into account.

Think of well run sporting teams. Can you imagine Man United saying something that could alienate their fans?
[/quote]

quit while your ahead Isz, there is no point explaining your position to Duff or anyone else that agrees with Zorba. either you believe what Slater did was wrong or you think people with depression should harden up, one or the other.
[/quote]

Thats not true Isz.  I believe what Slater did was wrong and I dont think that people with depression should harden up.  However it was said in the heat of the moment and the coverage of the incident has been a little over the top. 

Duff link said:
[quote author=DailyTerrorgraphHater link=topic=182811.msg256923#msg256923 date=1269487521]

Good on ya Zorb.

In a game where blokes are physically beating the living p1ss out of each other, how can a few words possibly be of concern?

I'm not racist, sexist or any other \"ist\" but I do find all this PC stuff just too much.

Sticks & stones, people.

Think of well run sporting teams. Can you imagine Man United saying something that could alienate their fans?
[/quote]

quit while your ahead Isz, there is no point explaining your position to Duff or anyone else that agrees with Zorba. either you believe what Slater did was wrong or you think people with depression should harden up, one or the other.
[/quote]

Your missing the point Terror.

I probably have more concern, empathy & sympathy towards people than most. I just don't think big boys should be upset by words.

If someones actions are offensive, I'm offended. If someones attitudes are offensive, I'm offended. If someones words are offensive, I have a good old laugh & think it's pretty funny. That's all.

If Slater really means what he said because he's a callous individual, that's bad, mmkay. But if he just saw an opening to get under the skin of an opponant, that's the recipients choice of whether to take the bait.
[/quote]just word's??
if someone's parent, child or partner died the week before a game and used this to get under an opponent's skin, that would be ok?? i don't think so.
the point!! i think people most are trying to make is that there is a line you just don't cross.
i think choc was slegging hayne... diamonds and stones, i think i heard, now there is nothing wrong with that is there. as for the grubs.. i think is steeping over the mark.

Matabele link said:
Duff, one of the great triggers of depressive episodes is societal flippancy and misunderstanding of introversion.  What Slater did is tantamount to Gallen digging his fingers in the wound of an opponent to rip his stitches.  How many weeks did he get for that?

No way man. There's no similarity.

Like I've said about people swearing in the crowd on other threads, I can't think of too many people who've ended up in hospital from being (insert form of verbal attack here) at.

inside pass link said:
[quote author=Duff link=topic=182811.msg256929#msg256929 date=1269488372]
[quote author=DailyTerrorgraphHater link=topic=182811.msg256923#msg256923 date=1269487521]

Good on ya Zorb.

Sticks & stones, people.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Your missing the point Terror.

I probably have more concern, empathy & sympathy towards people than most. I just don't think big boys should be upset by words.

If someones actions are offensive, I'm offended. If someones attitudes are offensive, I'm offended. If someones words are offensive, I have a good old laugh & think it's pretty funny. That's all.

If Slater really means what he said because he's a callous individual, that's bad, mmkay. But if he just saw an opening to get under the skin of an opponant, that's the recipients choice of whether to take the bait.
[/quote]just word's??
if someone's parent, child or partner died the week before a game and used this to get under an opponent's skin, that would be ok?? i don't think so.
the point!! i think people most are trying to make is that there is a line you just don't cross.
i think choc was slegging hayne... diamonds and stones, i think i heard, now there is nothing wrong with that is there. as for the grubs.. i think is steeping over the mark.
[/quote]

Do you think that gives you the right to hit them?

Duff link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=182811.msg256931#msg256931 date=1269489710]
Duff, one of the great triggers of depressive episodes is societal flippancy and misunderstanding of introversion.  What Slater did is tantamount to Gallen digging his fingers in the wound of an opponent to rip his stitches.  How many weeks did he get for that?

No way man. There's no similarity.

Like I've said about people swearing in the crowd on other threads, I can't think of too many people who've ended up in hospital from being (insert form of verbal attack here) at.
[/quote]  There are thousands of people who commit suicide each year from depression.  If Patterson were recovering fro a physical illness and Slater attacked that injury, all hell would break lose.  Patterson is recovering from a mental/emotional injury and Slater's sledging was calculated to attack it.  Not on. 

The difference is that you control your mind.

Patterson could have just laughed at him & told him to "stand up when you talk to me". Or something like that. His choice.

A physical attack is a problem because someone else determines what happens to your body. If they hit your nose, it will break. No choice.

If he's open about his problem, he obvoiusly isn't ashamed of it. So why would he take offence to someone making themselves look like a dick?

This has got nothing to do with Slater etc at the moment (for the record I think he is a grub)

This is about a paid Manly official producing a public opinion piece which was amateur at best.

Look at how this issue has divided the forum – any PR person worth their salt would have stayed right away from it......if not acted in the opposite way

It is old school and a dumb move. The only justification I can see for it is ego / any publicity is good publicity

Duff link said:

Patterson could have just laughed at him & told him to \"stand up when you talk to me\". Or something like that. His choice.

A physical attack is a problem because someone else determines what happens to your body. If they hit your nose, it will break. No choice.

If he's open about his problem, he obvoiusly isn't ashamed of it. So why would he take offence to someone making themselves look like a dick?
If this was true then there would be no need for anti-bullying campaigns. 

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Duff link=topic=182811.msg256964#msg256964 date=1269494655]

Patterson could have just laughed at him & told him to \"stand up when you talk to me\". Or something like that. His choice.

[/quote]

What has bullying got to do with it?

Bullying is physical violence or threats thereof. It's not what people say that bothers you at school. Or your school was soft.

Duff link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=182811.msg256967#msg256967 date=1269495338]

[/quote]

Bullying is physical violence or threats thereof. It's not what people say that bothers you at school. Or your school was soft.
[/quote]im sorry and don't mean to be offensive however you clearly have no idea.
the sorrow that people feel with this illness is debilitating and matabele is dead right.

NICCIPOPS ,U can leave out the fake stubble ,but seeing you in short stubbies ,playing with your crotch ,whilst eating pie ,does sound good..

inside pass link said:
[quote author=Duff link=topic=182811.msg256969#msg256969 date=1269496841]
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=182811.msg256967#msg256967 date=1269495338]

[/quote]

[/quote]im sorry and don't mean to be offensive however you clearly have no idea.
the sorrow that people feel with this illness is debilitating and matabele is dead right.
[/quote]

Don't worry, I wont take offence. You guys are just off track.

This is supposed to be about Zorba, Slater & Patterson & you guys are going on about Joe Blow down the road & his mental condition.

robbiea link said:
NICCIPOPS ,U can leave out the fake stubble ,but seeing you in short stubbies ,playing with your crotch ,whilst eating pie ,does sound good..

Now your talking. Eating pie, I will be in on that  :p

Come to think of it the crotch needs a good scratch as well ;D

Bullying is any form of physical, emotional or mental abuse.

Slater's falls into both of the latter categories.  If it hapened in any workplace he'd be in for the high jump, particularly if it was harrasment of another worker's ilness, as this was clearly. 

Matabele link said:

Slater's falls into both of the latter categories.  If it hapened in any workplace he'd be in for the high jump, particularly if it was harrasment of another worker's ilness, as this was clearly.  
Well said, for what its worth I agree 100%.
And Duff, it is not possible for all of us to be able to 'control our mind', that is the problem. Depression is an illness that goes beyond the ususal low points or sadness that everyone experiences at times in our lives. It can have a variety of causes including genetic or chemical, so it is incorrect to suggest someone with depression can simply snap out of it by controlling their mind.
The earth is not flat. . .

robbiea link said:
The stubble adds friction. You might like it.

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=182811.msg256979#msg256979 date=1269499551]

Slater's falls into both of the latter categories.  If it hapened in any workplace he'd be in for the high jump, particularly if it was harrasment of another worker's ilness, as this was clearly. 
Well said, for what its worth I agree 100%.
And Duff, it is not possible for all of us to be able to 'control our mind', that is the problem. Depression is an illness that goes beyond the ususal low points or sadness that everyone experiences at times in our lives. It can have a variety of causes including genetic or chemical, so it is incorrect to suggest someone with depression can simply snap out of it by controlling their mind.
The earth is not flat. . .

[/quote]  The mere suggestion of it is a large part of the problem.  Hopefully this will be rammed home to Slater when he goes for his long overdue education.

I wonder if Zorba could also be forced to interface with the disease and learn some compassion?

Matabele link said:

never seen you bully anyone or make comments at someones expense on here mata. Do slater and patterson work together? No. It's not the same as me saying something to a work collegue. It's pro sport and things get said in the heat of the moment. It's not right but completely different to saying it in the general workforce to a collegue.

Arguably they do have the same employer - they both have contracts registered with the NRL.  Even if they are with different employers, can you imagine the fall-out if a Westpac manager vilified a NAB one?

Can't compare, it's pro sport and things get heated. It's wrong but sh!t happens.  It's not like westpac and nab bankers try and bash each other regulary trying to get the better of each other. With testorone it happens. If u think  bankers sledging each other and league players doing the same is comparable you are nuts. 

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4