Next TV deal.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
How many pubs are going to google or Netflix a footy game on a Saturday night? How many fans live outside of areas with decent internet connection?

TEE i respect the point your making, however it would be nieve to ignore he internet as a genuine method of media delivery. The reality is there will be ongoing investment into internet infrastructure for many years. The NRL have the opportunity now in this deal to try take advantage of it. Yes its a long term investment, and there is risk involved.

Not saying they should cut fox out in this new deal, but start to take back control on the next 10 years. The internet in 2023 (next deal) will be significantly better than it is now with a greater reach.

Lets be realistic, the internet will become the main, if not the only delivery method of digital media in the future.

If there is no fox, pubs will stream games via google or netflix (or equivalent).

TEE i respect the point your making, however it would be nieve to ignore he internet as a genuine method of media delivery. The reality is there will be ongoing investment into internet infrastructure for many years. The NRL have the opportunity now in this deal to try take advantage of it. Yes its a long term investment, and there is risk involved.

Not saying they should cut fox out in this new deal, but start to take back control on the next 10 years. The internet in 2023 (next deal) will be significantly better than it is now with a greater reach.

Lets be realistic, the internet will become the main, if not the only delivery method of digital media in the future.

If there is no fox, pubs will stream games via google or netflix
You obviously don't live in Nhulunbuy. My Foxtel works perfectly. FTA TV and Internet not even close.

Given Fox Sports is wholly owned by News, and Foxtel 50% owned by News, I highly doubt that News would gift deals with Netflix/Google to broadcast or stream sports. I can't say any more on these deals so will now sit on my hands and read with interest what the general public have to say.

You obviously don't live in Nhulunbuy. My Foxtel works perfectly. FTA TV and Internet not even close.

Again TEE not saying Fox should go straight away, would never want a Manly supporter denied the opportunity to watch them play. ;). Its about laying the foundation for long term.

Proper Satellite internet should eventually solve issues like that (I respect there will always be black spots for some areas). My Uncle runs a big dry area farm where they had poor coverage on networks (even fox was poor) and has since been given satellite under the NBN and gets decent enough speed to stream YouTube in 1080.

Foxtel needs nrl and premier league. Don't care what anyone says. Sport trumps movies, docos etc... They can't afford not to get them. Maybe we won't get on par with afl, so what. Be happy with what we get. Besides, afl still need to prop up suns, lions, giants and others, and fix up their game.( numbers around the ball, stoppages).

Given Fox Sports is wholly owned by News, and Foxtel 50% owned by News, I highly doubt that News would gift deals with Netflix/Google to broadcast or stream sports. I can't say any more on these deals so will now sit on my hands and read with interest what the general public have to say.

Well from what I understand the digital part of the package has already been awarded to Nine and taken off Telstra.

That bastard Murdoch and his bloody empire nearly destroyed our game with their dirty and divisive take over in 1995. He controls a large portion of the media and we have to lump that, the damage he did back then killed off clubs and turned many people away from the game!

I have no love for Murdoch and the SL fallout, but please tell me what the 'large portion' of the media Murdoch owns entails. How did he get so influencial based on a handful of papers, considering he has no FTA or radio interests? It's a fallacy that his media empire in Australia is so big as to influence much. From what we've seen, it's his dollars direct into sport (Super League, Union and now AFL - to fill content on Pay TV) that has had the far bigger influence than any propaganda via the DT, HS or CM.

Falling readership for years across the newspaper publishers would indicate that Murdoch (and Fairfax) are in retreat with any influence via their mouthpieces.

I have no love for Murdoch and the SL fallout, but please tell me what the 'large portion' of the media Murdoch owns entails. How did he get so influencial based on a handful of papers, considering he has no FTA or radio interests? It's a fallacy that his media empire in Australia is so big as to influence much. From what we've seen, it's his dollars direct into sport (Super League, Union and now AFL - to fill content on Pay TV) that has had the far bigger influence than any propaganda via the DT, HS or CM.

Falling readership for years across the newspaper publishers would indicate that Murdoch (and Fairfax) are in retreat with any influence via their mouthpieces.
The Rupert media influence is usually associated to lefty, anti-lib conspiracists. Make of that what you will.

No matter how much of the media someone controls, they cannot control free will and freedom of thought. I'd like to think we are above that person, who say for instance in the US takes something like Fox News as gospel and the sole source of truth...

He owns every major tabloid in every major city f Australian. He has interests in radio and tv that is huge. Don't forget this empire was the one who nearly destroyed our club because we didn't toe their line during super league. Back then their greed nearly killed our game.

• 🤝
Reactions: Rex
Somebody need to clarify something for me.

If Smith comes out and says the NRL deal with 9 is worth about 1 billion why would 7 & Foxtel pay so much for AFL. I mean who else was going to out bid them not 10 I would think.

Somebody need to clarify something for me.

If Smith comes out and says the NRL deal with 9 is worth about 1 billion why would 7 & Foxtel pay so much for AFL. I mean who else was going to out bid them not 10 I would think.

Fox owns some of ten, so there was no way ten was going to drive foxtels bid up. The only thing is Fox might have wanted to control both FTA and Foxtel coverage like they basically do for V8supercars so ten could have put a big bid in.

Fox has paid overs for the AFL.

Lets also look at the math properly.

Smith is valuing the NRL at 2B over 5 years. The AFL just signed a 6 year 2.5B deal.

NRL = 400M per year
AFL = $417M per year

If smith gets 2B then they are basically on par. The only thing is I cant see Fox shelling out $900m for 4 games.

I think there is a big opportunity here if Google or Netflix wants it.

The reality is Fox needs the NRLs last 4 games, and the NRL wants them to broadcast on fox, at least for this next tv deal.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4