Next TV deal.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So seems that the NRL could actually be ptiching the remaing games to nextflix/google/amazon.

Basically 9 didnt get exclusive digital rights, so seems smith strategy is sell 4 live games to Fox plus 4 simulcast, and have a streaming service (Netflix, etc) stream the digital strategy.

Seems like the back up plan is to sell 9 all 8 games for 1B and sell the online rights to Netflix/google.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-with-afl-over-tv-rights-20150819-gj2pwr.html

And it only gets confused by which media outlet tells the story...and of course which hack journalist writes it.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...like-an-own-goal/story-fnp0lyn3-1227490104634

Rupert is angry at Smith, so I take it he has instructed his papers to target him in the media. Apparently the Foxtel boss is not talking to smith.

The thing is Fox have no choice but to buy the NRL or risk losing a chunk of NSW/QLD subscribers. Its just a case of how little can they pay.

Rupert is angry at Smith, so I take it he has instructed his papers to target him in the media. Apparently the Foxtel boss is not talking to smith.

The thing is Fox have no choice but to buy the NRL or risk losing a chunk of NSW/QLD subscribers. Its just a case of how little can they pay.
There's no reason to have fox without sport. I just hope the NRL gets enough money to be competitive.

The only reason I have Foxtel is to watch NRL games. No NRL and I cancel my subscription. It's as simple as that. Foxtel will come to the party because it's an economic reality that they have to. My understanding has always been that the NRL is the main reason subscriptions are taken up on the east coast. AFL is not the same drawcard for subscriptions as the NRL is. I suggest that all and sundry take a deep breath and wait for the final outcome.

If Foxtel lose the NRL rights they can come and get my box , the other 52 channels are rubbish !!

I'm disappointed that more games will be on FTA...the coverage and viewer experience is awful on 9 when compared to Foxtel's games, and unless Manly are playing I have really stopped watching the games. Adverts constantly and having to listen to bickering between the commentators just drives me insane.

Dave Smith has obviously missed a trick by limiting those whom he would discuss dealing with and the not separating of the TV and Media /Digital providers is his biggest blunder. Whether he can rescue the deal with negotiations for the other games will I think decide his fate.

I'm disappointed that more games will be on FTA...the coverage and viewer experience is awful on 9 when compared to Foxtel's games, and unless Manly are playing I have really stopped watching the games. Adverts constantly and having to listen to bickering between the commentators just drives me insane.

Dave Smith has obviously missed a trick by limiting those whom he would discuss dealing with and the not separating of the TV and Media /Digital providers is his biggest blunder. Whether he can rescue the deal with negotiations for the other games will I think decide his fate.

He may well have miscalculated badly and if so his return ticket to the UK will come very quickly.

Although I'd agree Fox HAS to do a deal, if they don't tens of thousands of subcriptions ( including mine) will be cancelled.

Last edited:
If the NRL prevent their content being replayed via a license fee, and stop their Players from appearing on a competitors show, then Foxtel is sunk.

They need the NRL content to fill six months worth of air time at least.

NRL360, Sterlo, Matty John's Show etc, all use 100% NRL content.

Dave Smith may surprise a few with the total rights package @:cool:

Murdoch is just losing his control over our code, and is not happy :rolleyes:

If the NRL prevent their content being replayed via a license fee, and stop their Players from appearing on a competitors show, then Foxtel is sunk.

They need the NRL content to fill six months worth of air time at least.

NRL360, Sterlo, Matty John's Show etc, all use 100% NRL content.

Dave Smith may surprise a few with the total rights package @:cool:

Murdoch is just losing his control over our code, and is not happy :rolleyes:
GWS and the Suns have shown how well AFL takes off outside of Victoria @:cool:

I wonder will Nein let Foxtel show all games live, that would indeed be perfect ( for those with Foxtel), as they already cover off Digital with Foxtel GO!!
Mark, apparently the NRL wants to sell Foxtel the rights to broadcast all eight games live, which include the four Nine games, the stcking points are that Nine will cherry pick it's four games and Fox gets the rest, also Nine are demanding that the Foxtel similcast carries all the Nine advertising, I think Foxtel will tell Nine to shove it.

What Foxtel may lose in NSW/Qld subscribers they will definitely cover with new subscribers from Vic/SA/WA for the AFL.

Mark, apparently the NRL wants to sell Foxtel the rights to broadcast all eight games live, which include the four Nine games, the stcking points are that Nine will cherry pick it's four games and Fox gets the rest, also Nine are demanding that the Foxtel similcast carries all the Nine advertising, I think Foxtel will tell Nine to shove it.

Peter if they are selling Fox the rights to 8 games live...how can they cherry pick teh games if they have them all anyway????

Peter if they are selling Fox the rights to 8 games live...how can they cherry pick teh games if they have them all anyway????
My understanding is that Nine will have four games to select for Thurs, Friday, Sat evening, and Sunday afternoon, and Fox gets the remaining four, plus be able similcast all the Nine games on Foxtel, however Nine are demanding that the games that are similcast must not have the Nine commercials edited out, so basically whether you watch it on Nine of Foxtel will make no difference.
I imagine it will be up to Foxtel as to whether it does it's own commentary or uses Nine's, my guess is that it will use Nine's.
So basically having a Foxtel subscription will only now give you an extra four games live commercial free, as opposed to free to air TV.

Once old Rupert calms down and is invited to negotiate, the NRL will be in the drivers seat for the $$ negotiation...at least Dave Smith is hoping so.
It seems clear enough that with the competition from all the new streaming providers, Foxtel need the NRL to maintain and grow it's subscription base in NSW & QLD. It's a risky approach by the NRL but it could pay off. I guess only time will tell.

I don't really give a **** how much money they get for the TV rights. The players get paid more, the NRL gets a bloated HQ staff and wastes money on f*ck know what and the club gets a bit more money? However, as a fan who goes to all home games and some away games it means nothing to me. I don't see how we (fans) benefit or why it is a big deal.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4