No early release!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Really? these guy's train all off season and we wait all off season and they get beaten by a team that wants it more.

Yes @Mavin really!!

They were as hyped up as Dave Taylor after a night on the nose candy.

There were just as many mistakes made by them but they wanted it more, and after Hasson kneed Whatamouth they lifted.

So yes..... Really!!

Yes @Mavin really!!

They were as hyped up as Dave Taylor after a night on the nose candy.

There were just as many mistakes made by them but they wanted it more, and after Hasson kneed Whatamouth they lifted.

So yes..... Really!!

Well we have serious problems if we are not up for the first game off the season. Maybe that's why Penn and Kelly are sharpening the knives.

@Mavin Just like in 2008 when we lost ( I think) 6 of the first 8 games, and how did that end up??

I'm not suggesting for one moment this is going to be a rerun of 2008, it won't, we no longer have the firepower.

BUT we probably won't strike a more motivated side , at their home ground, than we did on Friday night.

As I say, let's have the conversation after we have lost 3 or 4 in a row, because if we were to beat the Drizzle this weekend everyone's views will change

@Mavin Just like in 2008 when we lost ( I think) 6 of the first 8 games, and how did that end up??

I'm not suggesting for one moment this is going to be a rerun of 2008, it won't, we no longer have the firepower.

BUT we probably won't strike a more motivated side , at their home ground, than we did on Friday night.

As I say, let's have the conversation after we have lost 3 or 4 in a row, because if we were to beat the Drizzle this weekend everyone's views will change
we started slow last year. Everyone wrote us off and we went one short of another gf and just missed winning the minor premiership. They also said our pack was gutless last year. It hasn't changed that much. We'll be doing the eagle rock again, have faith!

I'm not hitting the panic button or being emotional

I think we can still have a good year and DCE can play a big part in that

However, if the conditions are right then i wouldn't be opposed to releasing DCE

Mainly we would need the right players such as James and Elgey/Sezer and it would only be if DCE's relationship with the team is at breaking point

Pretty sure that once a Contract is registered, Manly can not register another Foz contract.
Now if he were already at the Eesl, then the NRL would rubber stamp it :cool:

Pretty sure that once a Contract is registered, Manly can not register another Foz contract.
Now if he were already at the Eesl, then the NRL would rubber stamp it :cool:
you can. you can upgrade an existing contract to frontload so long as there is room in the cap. Remember when DCE had a hissy fit that he was only being paid 80k. It got upgraded mid season in order to ensure he signed for the extra years

I find it strange that it seems to be the people who are slitting their wrists after the opening result of the season, are also the ones yelling loudest to punt both halves immediately. Would hate to see how those people would react to week after week hidings that we would get with both gone

you can. you can upgrade an existing contract to frontload so long as there is room in the cap. Remember when DCE had a hissy fit that he was only being paid 80k. It got upgraded mid season in order to ensure he signed for the extra years
OK - but the 'hissy fit' you demean Chez with, was his playing a major part in our winning the GF@:cool:
The upgrade could well have been a bonus clause on reaching that KPI.

I think its ridiculous letting the current Dally M Half Back go, just to appease those who begrudge success in others :shake:

I say no to an early release. Season has started so it's too late to change, if it was Nov/Dec then ok but it's March and 1 game in so too bad. Plus regardless of future development you don't just let one of the best half backs in the league just walk away whilst contracted. People are starting to put forward their minimal conditions of success this season, none of them will happen with a rookie HB starting with the season already underway. However the club might as well start flashing the cash for a replacement #7. This season will allow the coach to test a couple of youngsters in that position during Origin time and that's enough to see if there is any potential in there or not. The off season later this year is enough time to work with someone new when we know who is commited to the club with no distractions, sorry less distractions (as Manly off seasons are never boring).

Mind you if you asked me on Saturday if we should let him go now i would have said "YES". But time to reflect on it the answer is "NO", regardless of what the Titans offer in return out of principle. I'm not happy with helping accelerate their development 8 months early and rewarding the circus they have started. Even though these players might not act like it, they are professionals and want to win premierships regardless where they are or where they are going, and before ppl start laughing, yes he has gone for the $$$ up there nothing else. It hurts as a fan that they make decisions to leave but that's life, many have done before and will continue to do so.

DCE is the best option we have this season for #7 and until this season is over he is a Manly player. NRL & Titans can wait till the end of the year for their poster boy to arrive.

I find it strange that it seems to be the people who are slitting their wrists after the opening result of the season, are also the ones yelling loudest to punt both halves immediately. Would hate to see how those people would react to week after week hidings that we would get with both gone

It will give us an early insight into next season unless Joe Kelly can work some signing miracles.

No to a release. If he is willing to put in on the field, let him play. I have said it time and time again, if he's happy to be here this year, then why shoot ourselves in the foot and send him off??? We can NOT replace a player of his calibre immediately, so why not take this season to make sure we recruit the best we can, while still having one of THE best number 7's in the game playing each week? Let's not piss before our water comes and grab the very first rookie we come across. We have until kick off next year.

I would guarantee you that the club, Cherry, Tooves and all the team would have had several meetings by now to establish if Cherry is fair dinkum or not about this year. I don't see why he wouldn't be. The club pushed him for a decision, and got it. Although not the one they would have hoped for obviously. Lets not be so rash as to hurt our chances this year by pushing him further, or should I say faster out the door.

There's no way DCE will just coast this year. He is too professional for that. All eyes will be on his performance so he'll have to be at his best for most of the year or he will cop if from everywhere.

I'd imagine the Gold Coast (and NRL) management would be very keen to get DCE over before round 13. That is the deadline for when he can't back out of his contract.

I'm not saying this would happen but a players existing club can make a counter offer and try to retain their player until round 13. While i don't think we would make another offer, Cherry may start to get itchy feet if the Titans implode over the next couple of months. Wouldn't that be interesting? :giggle:

OK - but the 'hissy fit' you demean Chez with, was his playing a major part in our winning the GF@:cool:
The upgrade could well have been a bonus clause on reaching that KPI.

I think its ridiculous letting the current Dally M Half Back go, just to appease those who begrudge success in others :shake:
I wouldn't have said it back then and didn't. Until recently was a big chez advocate but I'm also a believer in sticking to your word. And if you're stupid enough to sign the piece of paper you shouldn't be able to punish a club for your mistake. The upgrade was a completely renegotiated contract because he had no bonus clauses in his contract because orr was too stupid to. And he (orr) probably didn't realise how talented he was. This latest incident reinforces in my mind the single-mindedness of his pursuit of cash. If you remember last time in 2012 Orr held the club to ransom by demanding an immediate release while under contract. It wasn't some KPI or an automatic upgrade. The club was made to renegotiate

I don't agree with letting him go UNLESS we are gaining something in return. It's not often you get to gain anything for a player moving on. Why not cash in.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have said it back then and didn't. Until recently was a big chez advocate but I'm also a believer in sticking to your word. And if you're stupid enough to sign the piece of paper you shouldn't be able to punish a club for your mistake. The upgrade was a completely renogiated contract because he had no bonus clauses in his contract because orr was too stupid to. And he (orr) probably didn't realise how talented he was. This latest incident reinforces in my mind the single-mindedness of his pursuit of cash. If you remember last time in 2012 Orr held the club to ransom by demanding an immediate release while under contract. It wasn't some KPI or an automatic upgrade. The club was made to renogitate

I don't agree with letting him go UNLESS we are gaining something in return. It's not often you get to gain anything for a player moving on. Why not cash in.
Renegotiate

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6