Non-Manly Games [Round 17, 2015]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
A
Anyone else get the impression Gift was arguing, or at least having a difference opinion, with Maguire in the footage of the sheds after the game?

Actually Gift as being playing like a cranky old man - I thought last week it was because of us but same again - plenty of mouthing off, push and shoves and some cheap shots.

A

Actually Gift as being playing like a cranky old man - I thought last week it was because of us but same again - plenty of mouthing off, push and shoves and some cheap shots.

I think he has always been like that however because he played with us we chose to ignore it.

A

Gift is their enforcer and his role is to intimidate the opposition

Notice how panthers always had someone pushing their hit up player after the initial hit. Dwz was doing it all game.

Wow this Penrith team just waltzed through the same team that Manly couldn't beat last week with a mountain of possession.
Goes to show it's not effort, or troops, we had virtually a full squad. The core is just getting old, and can't make up for a weak forward pack any more.
Looks more and more to be a case of "on to next year".
NYEagle

Wow this Penrith team just waltzed through the same team that Manly couldn't beat last week with a mountain of possession.
Goes to show it's not effort, or troops, we had virtually a full squad. The core is just getting old, and can't make up for a weak forward pack any more.
NYEagle
And the tigers the week before.

A

It's the souffs culture that has rubbed off on him. It's the same for all teams coached by Maguire.

I had the pleasure of seeing him come through grades up here through the rep teams,him and Dallan when I was involved with the Matts team up here.Its great to see them kick on,we always knew Bryce would

I first saw Cartwright in their 20s team that won the comp. He was the outstanding player in an outstanding team and now that he's playing regular first grade he's getting better every week. I normally can't be stuffed watching any NRL games outside of Manly games (too dull, refs influence too predictable), but I've enjoyed watching Penrith games this year because Cartwright is just so damn good. Every time he touches the ball it feels like he could make something happen.
Skills of a half in a big body. I can't remember a backrower with the attacking weapons he's got - maybe Kosef, but Cartwright is a level above. He's going to be a superstar and Penrith would be mad to let him go. As much as I'd love to see at Manly, he's a Penrith product through and through and I'd hate to see him leave there.
I'd take Whare back though - he's turned into a junior Matai and we already have some claim on him:)
Penrith are a good team to watch overall. I just hope Barrett has something to do with it…

Cartwright is a chip off the old block. For anyone who saw John Cartwright play, you'll know what I mean. And the scary thing is that I think Bryce is better than his dad was.

For anyone who thinks that Turbo Tom is ready to step in right now and take over as our fullback from Snake, just watch Alex Johnston's performances at the back for Souffs in the past few weeks, including last night. Johnston has a fair bit more first grade experience than Turbo Tom and is seen by a number of people at the Vermin as their future long term fullback, but he still has a lot to learn about playing the position in the NRL rather than the lower grades. Tom will be ready by the time Snake retires, but until then we are definitely better off with Snake in the #1 jumper.

Damn I wish we still had Gifty and Dean Whare.

And I have to say that I was impressed with Api. Whether he comes here as a backup hooker to Matty Ballin or whether he will play 5/8, this kid is definitely a goer. And he can kick goals which is something we definitely need.

^ Bryce Cartwright is John Cartwright's nephew, not son. But yeah, he's probably better than his dad was. Definitely better than his uncle.;)
Completely agree re Tommy T. Snake has few good years left; Tommy T has lots more good years to come. It's to everybody's benefit that those years overlap, like one of those diagrams with the intersecting circles.

Nephew, son, he's someone's kid lol.

Right now I would say that Tom would only be the third choice for our fullback. Snake obviously has the jumper but I imagine that Peta Hiku would be the next in line should Snake be unavailable for any reason. As a fullback though I would think that Tom needs to either pay his dues on the wing in first grade or even spend a year as our NSW Cup fullback where he will be playing against better (or at least tougher) players than he would come up against in the U/20's.

After last nights game I am more and more convinced that we should have gone for at least one of the twins rather than Luke Burgess.

NYEagle

Souths had to put in a big game to beat us last week and had nothing left this week, they looked flat and lethargic from the opening whistle long before the panthers had a chance to wear them down.

Souths had to put in a big game to beat us last week and had nothing left this week, they looked flat and lethargic from the opening whistle long before the panthers had a chance to wear them down.
You have to give credit to Penrith's young and tough forwards who won them the game headed by Cartwright .

Funny how a team can play flat and tired against Tigers, then play inspired against Manly, then flat and tired against the Panthers.
It makes it hard to make a run when you have both weak forwards and still respect as a club so teams get up for games against us.

You have to give credit to Penrith's young and tough forwards who won them the game headed by Cartwright .

Penrith pack played very well, Campbell-Gillard and Cartwright in particular but souths line speed was non existent from the get go - they looked like we have for most of the year.

Cowboys win 18-12
Now they have a bye next week before facing us on July 20
Thanks NRL really fair draw NOT

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4