"Official": Des Hasler appointed Manly coach - 2018

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
With regards to who will be Des' staff....

He did briefly mention good things about both Chad Randall and John Cartwright. Whether that means that they'll be his assistants remains to be seen as only time will tell.

He was asked about others like Donny, but his answer was that today was only his first day back and he wants to have a look around before he starts making plans. Though no doubt that he already has a few ideas.

He also refused to talk about Barrett and passed off any questions about him to Scott Penn. All he did say was that he hasn't spoken to him.

He was also asked about the facilities and said that there would be no issue with them.

I believe Cartwright and Dessie will be fine as they were both in the Penrith system and in the early 80's so probably knew each other.

WWW.THEAUSTRALIAN.COM.AU

Same old Des back at Manly
OCTOBER 22, 2018

Des Hasler arrived with notes in hand. He took his seat and poked fun at a journalist’s dress sense. He spoke for the best part of 15 minutes without really saying anything of note.

Plenty of people believe Hasler needs to change as he looks to rebuild his reputation in his second coming at Manly. After sitting through another archetypal Hasler press conference, it quickly became clear he has no intention of veering from what has proven a largely successful path.

Hasler the second time round won’t be much different from the first, right down to the luxuriant hair cut and the glib one-liners.

There was even a sense of the theatrics to the way he answered the most contentious issue surrounding his return to Manly — the nature of his departure from Canterbury and the view that their salary cap was treated with a sense of the slapdash.

Hasler was given a chance to respond to the claims earlier in his press conference and he kept his counsel. Given another chance, he peered down at his notes and suggested the problem was not with him, but with Canterbury’s decision to sack him when he was in the midst of a multimillion-dollar contract that still had two years to run.

Asked whether he wanted to clear the air, Hasler said: “Not at the moment other than I have always had a pretty robust philosophy towards the best way to manage the cap.

“I guess with an incumbent coach it is always that coach’s priority to look at that list and probably carve out or craft out a way going forward.

“I think that exercise shouldn’t be about laying the blame but rather going forward. It will be no different for me. It was the same when I was at Canterbury and the same at Manly prior to 2012.

“Players’ values are very subjective, they have to fit in with the coach’s plans at the particular time. I think it is naive to suggest one salary cap management plan is another’s misery.

“I have always had a plan. I have always been committed to executing that plan going into the future in my time at the Dogs and at Manly.

“Had I been retained in those coaching roles I would have been committed to seeing those plans through and manage those matters that I have always had.

“In my coaching time we have had some success. The notion of back-ended deals as reported I think is simplistic and generally wrong.

“It doesn’t think it has regard for the many, many factors that come into and are relevant with list management. That is the end of the lecture for today.”

The Bulldogs have dispensed with one of Hasler’s signings — prop Aaron Woods. Others, most notably Kieran Foran, would appear on thin ice.

Yet Woods has thrived at Cronulla, suggesting the problem wasn’t his signing, but rather how he was used. As for Foran, injuries have been his bugbear.

Manly had their own troubles when Hasler left at the end of 2011, prompting a fallout between the former coach and the club’s chair and owner Scott Penn.

Hasler wasn’t really in their initial thoughts, the club focusing on Michael Maguire, current assistant John Cartwright and Brisbane assistant Jason Demetriou. That all changed about three weeks ago when Penn attended a fan forum at the Manly Leagues Club.

Those in attendance made it clear they wanted someone with Manly DNA back in charge of the club. Penn left the meeting and called Hasler, who at the time was on holiday in Croatia.

“It just reinforced how important it is to members that we have Manly people involved in the club,” Penn said.

“It was at that point that our discussion started to heat up. I picked up the phone to Des. He was in Europe when I rang him and said we should talk. He said: ‘I would love to’.

“Even when we first had dialogue there were no guarantees anything was going to happen. He has a point to prove, we want a Manly man and he is certainly a talented individual we think can do great things for us.”

Hasler is still piecing together his support staff. Assistant coach John Cartwright has been offered the opportunity to stay on staff and last night told The Australian he is happy to remain in his current role.

It is understood Hasler has also reached out to his former football manager at Canterbury Alan Thompson, although it is unclear what role he could fill.

Pointedly, Penn made it clear the club would run its salary cap by committee.

“So it is not ruled by an absolute iron fist by anyone,” he said.

Hasler, meanwhile, is back where many believe he belongs, including it seems the man himself.

“(Manly) it’s close, the synergy it’s been well documented, I played a majority of my football here and have been around the coaching ranks for a long time,” he said. “It’s been a big part of my football life.”

Last edited:
8093D399-42F4-470B-83DB-60DC3C2D32EE.jpeg
The Dazzler is back!

It's all good until he doesn't play some 18 year old attacking prodigy from the junior grades in place of an old guy doing his job reliably but unspectacularly. I remember Des picking and sticking a lot and I hope that the participants on this forum cut him some slack for sticking with the guys that fit his system rather than chopping and changing at the first sign of trouble.

Can't wait to have a real coach with a real plan, go Dessie!
Yes, there are still people on here who bag Luke Williamson, apparently because he didn’t play like young Anthony.

We needed players like Luke (and later Vic Mauro) to counteract the ‘attention to detail deficiency’ in Watmough’s (and perhaps a few others) game.

Something Des did a lot of during his playing career.

Big Sports Breakfast on 2GB and Fox 526 each weekday a.m.

Lyall was on 8am, click on Podcast on the middle left of page to play it

Bokmark this link so you can check it each morning :)

http://www.bigsportsbreakfast.com.au

It does seem that Gorman is establishing himself and is a significant positive in the club's rebuilding. It seems that member conference finally got the message through to management that the supporters want transparency, good communication, and a coach, not only with this Manly DNA they talk about, but also someone who knows how to win, knows how to lead the club, knows how to instil the discipline sadly lacking in recent years. Gorman and Hasler make a great team and little doubt this is why the fans are expressing their gratitude in bucket loads. Cant see Manly going backwards from here. Sorry Beatie, Perth is not an option.

Yes, there are still people on here who bag Luke Williamson, apparently because he didn’t play like young Anthony.

We needed players like Luke (and later Vic Mauro) to counteract the ‘attention to detail deficiency’ in Watmough’s (and perhaps a few others) game.

Something Des did a lot of during his playing career.
Anyone who watches the 07 GF couldn't bag Willo.
He was our best in that game.
Shane Rodney as well, in Dessie's time was another type we could do with today.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10