Parramatta Eels salary cap: Club waiting on outcome of Anthony Watmough contract issue

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
But,but,but will it happen if the board of directors continue with their court case. Will they be able to play for points then?

1. WWOS
  2. NRL
Watmough ready to retire to help Eels
By Matt Encarnacion
6 minutes ago

• resizer.aspx
    CURRENTLY VIEWING
    Continue viewing other video clips from this site

May 05, 2016: Eels veteran Anthony Watmough speaks to Danny Weidler to address his retirement plans and the ongoing salary cap scandal.

Anthony Watmough calls it a no-brainer.

The injured Parramatta forward shapes as the key to the Eels being salary-cap compliant by next week's NRL match against South Sydney.

On Thursday, he declared he was ready to retire for the sake of the club.

The Eels have until Friday next week to shave almost $600,000 from their roster, and Watmough's retirement papers are believed to have already arrived at rugby league headquarters.

NRL integrity unit chief Nick Weeks will soon begin investigations into the circumstances surrounding Watmough's injury and whether his salary will be backdated - and then removed - from the cap.

"It's based on the timing of when he became unfit to play permanently," a NRL spokesperson told AAP.

While it has long been assumed Watmough's career is already over - he has yet to appear this season - the former representative star still couldn't bring himself to say the words on Thursday.

"The club's bigger than me and, if I get the chance to do the right thing and have to do what I have to do for the boys to move forward, it's a no-brainer for me," Watmough told the Nine Network.

"I've had a career that not many thought I'd get to where I am at. My best interest has always been the club and, if it comes to that, it comes to that."

Watmough held back tears as he came to grips with the realisation he was close to ending a decorated 15-year career due to a chronic knee problem.

Since debuting in 2002, the 32-year-old has played 303 games, including two premiership wins with Manly, before moving last season to Parramatta.

He also played 15 State of Origin games for NSW and 16 Tests for Australia.

"(Rugby league has) definitely passed the body by," he said.

"We're selfless people out there at Parra - the playing group is anyway. I can't speak from outside of that. I've done all I can do. I can't do any more.

"If the ball's in our court to do the right thing by Parra, then there's no hesitation."

His decision comes as Eels chairman Steve Sharp and four other Eels officials return to the NSW Supreme Court on Friday in a bid to help the club respond to the show-cause notice issued on Tuesday.

The five officials claim they weren't given procedural fairness after being compelled by the NRL to stand down as part of the salary cap breaches dating back to 2013.

Former NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert heads an effort by the Eels to get back under the cap, however the governing body won't meet the club until the five officials are gone.

Read more at http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/2016/05/...dy-to-retire-to-help-eels#Ky5raCso4g4YDSHI.99

1. WWOS
  2. NRL
By Matt Encarnacion
6 minutes ago

May 05, 2016: Eels veteran Anthony Watmough speaks to Danny Weidler to address his retirement plans and the ongoing salary cap scandal.

The injured Parramatta forward shapes as the key to the Eels being salary-cap compliant by next week's NRL match against South Sydney.

The Eels have until Friday next week to shave almost $600,000 from their roster, and Watmough's retirement papers are believed to have already arrived at rugby league headquarters.

NRL integrity unit chief Nick Weeks will soon begin investigations into the circumstances surrounding Watmough's injury and whether his salary will be backdated - and then removed - from the cap.

"It's based on the timing of when he became unfit to play permanently," a NRL spokesperson told AAP.

While it has long been assumed Watmough's career is already over - he has yet to appear this season - the former representative star still couldn't bring himself to say the words on Thursday.

"The club's bigger than me and, if I get the chance to do the right thing and have to do what I have to do for the boys to move forward, it's a no-brainer for me," Watmough told the Nine Network.

"I've had a career that not many thought I'd get to where I am at. My best interest has always been the club and, if it comes to that, it comes to that."

Watmough held back tears as he came to grips with the realisation he was close to ending a decorated 15-year career due to a chronic knee problem.

Since debuting in 2002, the 32-year-old has played 303 games, including two premiership wins with Manly, before moving last season to Parramatta.

"We're selfless people out there at Parra - the playing group is anyway. I can't speak from outside of that. I've done all I can do. I can't do any more.

"If the ball's in our court to do the right thing by Parra, then there's no hesitation."

His decision comes as Eels chairman Steve Sharp and four other Eels officials return to the NSW Supreme Court on Friday in a bid to help the club respond to the show-cause notice issued on Tuesday.

The five officials claim they weren't given procedural fairness after being compelled by the NRL to stand down as part of the salary cap breaches dating back to 2013.

Former NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert heads an effort by the Eels to get back under the cap, however the governing body won't meet the club until the five officials are gone.

Read more at http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/2016/05/...dy-to-retire-to-help-eels#Ky5raCso4g4YDSHI.99
What a load of ****.

1. WWOS
  2. NRL
By Matt Encarnacion
6 minutes ago

Oh yeah choc's all about doing what he can for the team, look at his contribution for us in 2014, I can't watch any more of Weedlers interviews, he's become parramatta's media rep, his sorry tear jerking interviews are too much for me, if I see one more of these smarmy sickly lovefests I think I'm gonna be sick !

If Choc was as selfless as he claims, he could have just resigned and not waited around for the balance of his contract that he can no longer fulfill :cool:

He has the same Company line - doing for the love of Parra and not the money :p

Hey Choc I think the words you are looking for are "sorry, Manly were more than generous. I was just being a selfish deluded prick. Oh, and they got Glenn Stewart right too"....

Watmough wants a deal that will see-out his career at Brookvale, which the 31-year-old believes can continue for another three seasons.

Manly’s retention committee has refused to budge far enough from their original offer: a two-year extension worth around $1.2 million that would secure Watmough until the end of 2017. The most recent talks between Watmough’s management and the Sea Eagles, held on Thursday, failed to reach a middle ground.

https://sslcam.news.com.au/cam/auth...89eb4de86?sv=aab88aac1988db4704cff2bf26d4e320

I don't know if Watmough screwed Parra by going there for 4 years on a ridiculous contract that he could never full fill and thus put them over the cap or whether Parra screwed him by forcing him to retire and kicking him out as soon as his injury stopped him from playing.

I don't know if Watmough screwed Parra by going there for 4 years on a ridiculous contract that he could never full fill and thus put them over the cap or whether Parra screwed him by forcing him to retire and kicking him out as soon as his injury stopped him from playing.
If he gets his full contract paid out, then Choc is a master negotiator.@:cool:
He has also become a new Dad, so plenty of other things to do than drive out west daily :)

Brent kite left manly a legend to penrith , not by his choice and was welcomed back after retirement to a life membership. He had no drama's in his career that i can think of , played the game hard , never a dirty player, won grandfinals, clive Churchill medals played for his state and country, a true role model. It would be quite laughable to think watmough after his fateful stint on the other side and all the crap that he said about our club, also the club that made him, be welcomed back to manly with life membership. Id be embarrassed.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...els-get-under-salary-cap-20160505-gonez3.html

Rival NRL clubs want full details of how Parramatta Eels get under salary cap
Date
May 5, 2016 - 8:02PM
Brad Walter
Sports Reporter

Rival clubs are demanding the NRL provide full details of the measures taken by Parramatta to get under the salary cap for the remainder of this season, including the way any dispensation granted for Anthony Watmough's premature retirement is calculated.

The Eels formally submitted an application to the NRL for Watmough to retire due to a career-ending knee injury and hope that will cover most – or even all – of the $570,000 they must cut from their salary cap to be able to play for points against South Sydney next Friday. However, other NRL clubs believe Parramatta should have to shed star players as Melbourne did when forced to release Greg Inglis after the 2010 salary cap scandal.

1462442544455.jpg

Sticking point: The Eels' ability to offload Anthony Watmough's contract is pivotal to them getting under the salary cap. Photo: Getty Images

Playmaker Corey Norman is the player most in demand as he is off contract and has attracted interest from a number of rival clubs, but the Eels have also received enquiries about new Australian winger Semi Radradra, while speculation continues that Junior Paulo could head to Canberra after signing with the club for next season.

"The NRL needs to be really clear about how Parramatta is able to get under the salary cap," one club boss told Fairfax Media. "There needs to be some transparency about whether they get rid of two $300,000 players or one $600,000 player or however they do it."

While there is little doubt Watmough has a chronic knee injury, there is a belief that the timing of his decision to retire just days after Parramatta were stripped of all 12 competition points accumulated this season and fined $1 million is too convenient.

NRL chief medical officer Paul Bloomfield, who was Watmough's club doctor at Manly until 2012, will make one of the most scrutinised assessments of a player's fitness in the game's history when he rules on whether the former Test forward is able to continue playing.

It will then be left to NRL's salary cap auditor Jamie L'Oste-Brown to determine whether any of Watmough's $700,000 per year contract, plus third party agreements valued at $200,000, should be deducted from Parramatta's salary cap for this season. The Eels are seeking to have Watmough's retirement backdated to the start of the year but rival clubs believe the best Parramatta should expect is to have 50 per cent of his money reduced from the cap as he has already received six months of payments for this season.

"Why is Anthony Watmough retiring now, why wasn't it done before. It seems too convenient," a rival official said.

Another club chief executive said: "There was an anticipation that he was going to continue playing for the first six months of his contract for this season, that is why they continued to pay him every month".

The injury that has sidelined Watmough this season was a collision with teammate Beau Scott at training in February.

At the time Watmough was preparing to play in a pre-season trial against Penrith but the 32-year-old has not played since.

However, he denied reports several weeks later that his career was over and insisted he would return to the field this season.

Should Bloomfield accept Watmough's application to retire on medical grounds, it will be very difficult for him to attempt a comeback as he will not be covered by the NRL's insurance policy after receiving a pay-out for a career-ending injury.

North Queensland centre Brent Tate was forced into retirement after suffering a career ending knee injury in the 2014 State of Origin series and it is understood the Cowboys received a 20 per cent reduction of his contract from the salary cap.

A number of clubs who have played Parramatta this season are also unhappy about losing to a team that was illegally assembled because they were over the salary cap, while upcoming opponents expect the Eels to do everything possible to make sure they are under the salary cap.

Until the Eels get below the salary cap they will be unable to accrue any points but their opponents will only get the two competition points if they win.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...salary-cap-20160505-gonez3.html#ixzz47mADUSF2
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4