Parramatta Eels salary cap: Club waiting on outcome of Anthony Watmough contract issue

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
@MitchGibson90 10m10 minutes ago
@travismeyn I'll retire for the good of the team, suggests he could play on if he wanted too - which goes against the insurance claim.

Good point made on twitter - sounds like Choc is choosing retirement, rather than having a physical breakdown :rolleyes:

this is exactly the point I was coming on here to make - surely he's given it away that he actually could come back if he so desired. Plus, the photo of him from the other day at the cap meeting looked to me as if he was dressed for training - why would a retired/retiring player still be training each and every day?

Exactly. This is not forced medical retirement, what a joke.

Yep, if he's retiring "for the good of the team', ie, in order to get them under the salary cap, then it ain't a forced retirement, it's a calculated decision. Somebody should have thought of that before they allowed him to go on television and basically admit it's an NRL-sanctioned scheme.
Seriously, everybody knew he was crocked when they signed him. They assumed the risk, they should wear the result.

The guys a knob,his been there 5 minutes and all of a sudden,it's parra this and parra that,**** off you slime,this judas should never ever be allowed to step one foot near our club,he should be ashamed that he ever wore our colours,**** I'm pissed off.

The guys a knob,his been there 5 minutes and all of a sudden,it's parra this and parra that,**** off you slime,this judas should never ever be allowed to step one foot near our club,he should be ashamed that he ever wore our colours,**** I'm pissed off.
Choc left us for the money and now he is retiring and leaving Parra for the money . It is all about the money feathered friend

I suspect little toddys plan is going to blow up spectacularly in his face. Already there is a lot of noise in the media from the other clubs, and quite rightly, this whole thing stinks. The watmough retirement is clearly a dodgy way of circumventing the actual punishment. Why should someone who hasn't played all year and "retiring" be the sole rationale for getting under the cap. It is total bull****.

the 6 teams they beat,which we were one of have every right to be asking the nrl a please explain that a team that is over the cap and cheating how in the hell that they loose there 2 comp points,surely those teams should seek some kind of legal action to get those points,cause I can bet my balls that come round 26 and one of those teams misses the 8 by 2 points then there be hell to pay,you guys with me on this?

c'mon guys....choc just wants to do best for the club that has 'given him so much.'

WINK

Also I think the clubs have every right to see how parra get under the cap.

I don't agree they should be able to do it with 'out of the box thinking.'

What I mean is a big no to manufactured medical retirements....and a big no to easing players out to union only for them to come back in 12 months.

Shed players you cheats!

Yep, if he's retiring "for the good of the team', ie, in order to get them under the salary cap, then it ain't a forced retirement, it's a calculated decision. Somebody should have thought of that before they allowed him to go on television and basically admit it's an NRL-sanctioned scheme.
Whatbrain isn't helping their cause with his constant blather. I bet they wish he'd STFU. Even the most cretinous of fans will be beginning to see that the whole affair stinks of a set-up.

Watmough shouldn't have an option to decide whether to retire or not - his injury should dictate that he has no option but to retire

The fact that parra are only this week lodging his documents with the NRL points to this whole episode as being a sham just so that parra can retain all of their players and the NRL/channel 9 can help them to win the competition in the next year or two simply for TV ratings.

He is only retiring because he has come to some financial payout agreement with Parra. Again, only retiring if he can get his money, not because he is such a good bloke or is being forced out with injury.

I bet if parra said "choc, if you retire it would be much appreciated, but we are not paying you out for your final 2 years! " Do you still think he would retire getting nothing?

Dumb arse also said it happened at start of season (even though he was hobbling on the same knee for last 2 years)

Also don't know how the NRL would allow to back date his insurance claim when he only just submitted it. He's salary should be going towards the cap at present - putting them under

I'm interested in how the insurance company will assess this claim, and the NRL's willingness to consider this 'career ending' injury against any Cap exception for this year.

We all knew at the end of 2014 that Choc's knee(s) were shot and laughed at the prospect of Parramatta signing him for four years. We all doubted he'd see the final years on the field and so it passes.

Without this Cap drama he would be sitting fat, dumb and happy in the rehab squad for the remainder of 2016 and rearing to go in 2017...again. It isn't like he has anything else to fall back on and interestingly his initial foray into the media/print commentary has dropped off significantly.

So the matter of his injuries...

In mid-2012 he was at risk to miss Origin due to 'swelling in the knee' - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-26/watmough-fails-to-train-with-blues-squad/4093906

By the end of the 2013 season his knee saw him miss games, do rehab and rely on injections when finally back on the field - http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2013/09/04/watmough-raring-nrl-finals-return

Then the start of 2014, and after being ruled out of the Kangaroos in the off-season due to his knee, we find out how bad his body/knee/foot were really - http://www.nrl.com/warhorse-watmough-feeling-fitter-than-ever/tabid/10874/newsid/76717/default.aspx

Finally at the backend of 2014 we get more news on the busted knee - http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...a-eagles-soar-into-finals-20140803-zzz82.html

This telling quote should be enough to confirm the Eels recruited Watmough with a pre-existing knee condition:

Manly coach Geoff Toovey believes Watmough has merely aggravated an existing injury. The 30-year-old Australian second-rower, who is also playing with a ruptured biceps muscle, missed last year's World Cup in England with a similar knee problem he battled through for most of the season.

And what ruled Choc out of the remainder of the 2015 season? - http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/07/21/eels-watmough-wicks-out-nrl-season

I'm no big city doctor but there is a lot of evidence here indicating that Choc's knee was gone last season and the Eels (via Arthur's comments a few weeks back) had all-but assumed he was done and dusted. The emergence of the Beau Scott collision story seems odd as they've had weeks to relay that, but it's only as the Cap story was on the cusp of hitting the club that they've now revealed this alleged incident.

The whole episode reeks with only one positive outcome...Manly didn't throw the sink into deals to keep the busted Choc.

There are 3 issues here in regards to Choc. Firstly that his full contract is paid out by the Insurer. Secondly that he is paid out by Parra as part of their Cap quota.

The only one that concerns every other Club, is the NRL stating that Parra can pay him out and not have it count as part of their Cap for 2016-2018.
Why? They signed him on with publicized knee issues ? :wondering:

As NRL360 noted, and now the Press has picked up, what's to stop other rich Clubs pensioning off players at will ? They can accumulate talent at will, then retire them when something better comes onto the market.:mad:

Hoppa has a signed contract that was not registered by Parra. They chose to buy Jennings when he fell out at the Rorters.
The NRL again, gave them a free mark by stating that any damages that the Court may rule to Hoppa, will not hit their Cap.
Why? They signed another player whilst holding onto Hoppa's signed contract :mad:

Greenturd is bending over backwards to make Parra's systematic cheating disappear :swear:
The rest of the Clubs will push him to afford them as many favours :cool:

Can of worms opens up , if the NRL Doctor signs off on Choc's 'new' career ending injury @:cool:

In effect, the NRL has potentially enabled a Club that is over the Cap, another 1.5 million overpayment in Choc plus Hoppa payouts.@:mad:

Last edited:
Plenty of past stories writing about his crippled knee. Parra sure fixed it up good

Parramatta Eels' Anthony Watmough had to learn to run again after injury complications

Former Test forward Anthony Watmough told Parramatta officials just weeks ago that he was going to retire after muscle fatigue from ignoring a serious knee injury for five years left him a virtual cripple.

Watmough, whose first season with the Eels ended prematurely when he suffered a shoulder injury in the round 19 match against North Queensland, has had to learn to run again after also undergoing surgery to repair a torn medial ligament in his left knee.

After having the ligament re-attached, Watmough found the rehabilitation from the operation so difficult he thought his career was over.

"I thought I was going to retire, I thought I was gone," Watmough revealed on Tuesday at a launch for next season's NRL Nines.

"I spoke to the physio because the first time I tried to run, I couldn't. My legs were just on fire. I just said to him 'I'm done. I can't run, I can't walk, I can't even hop'. I was standing there with my left leg and it was just done. I thought that's life, I've had a great run, I've had a great go."

However, Watmough is now looking forward to his 14th season in the NRL after Parramatta physiotherapist Josh Rigg told him the pain wasn't caused by the medial ligament tear but muscle fatigue from continuing to play with the injury.

"I learnt to favour it too much, so the muscles, the hamstring, just died... the calf didn't work and I didn't realise how bad it was because over the years it just kept declining, declining," Watmough said.

"The physio said 'you've had no medial for so long that there's nothing there'. As soon as they re-attached it I could feel muscles that I hadn't felt in years.

"But then they just started chucking fits and locked one day, sort of spasmed, when I was at training. That's when they felt like they were on fire and I said 'I'm done'".

Watmough, who has played 303 NRL matches for Manly and Parramatta, said Rigg had had to teach him him how to run again and he has gradually been increasing the distances.

"The first day he wanted me to run a straight line for five metres and I couldn't do that," Watmough said.
"Then I came back the next week and ran for two minutes [and] the next week for five minutes. Every day we did programs, set up fitness blocks with cycling and other stuff.
"The other day was 7.5 kilometres on my legs and then to be able to turn up the next day and run. That was a big test."

Having done that, Watmough now hopes to next week be given the green light to resume ballwork with teammates for the first time in six months.

"I was told I've been playing on one leg for five years," Watmough said. "To do that in one of the toughest sports in the world, I didn't realise how much it was taking away from my game but obviously it was. My performances haven't been what they should have been.

"It wasn't the year I wanted at Parra. I wanted to have a bit more of an impact than I did but it was probably a blessing that I went to Parra as they finally found out what my injury was and fixed it.

"It wasn't the greatest debut at a club but we're working hard off the field and I feel we've grown as a unit. It's been pretty surreal the last five weeks, learning how to run again."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ter-injury-complications-20151208-glij4s.html

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...plications-20151208-glij4s.html#ixzz47pXDgoAq
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

There are 3 issues here in regards to Choc. Firstly that his full contract is paid out by the Insurer. Secondly that he is paid out by Parra as part of their Cap quota.

The only one that concerns every other Club, is the NRL stating that Parra can pay him out and not have it count as part of their Cap for 2016-2018.
Why? They signed him on with publicized knee issues ? :wondering:

As NRL360 noted, and now the Press has picked up, what's to stop other rich Clubs pensioning off players at will ? They can accumulate talent at will, then retire them when something better comes onto the market.:mad:

Hoppa has a signed contract that was not registered by Parra. They chose to buy Jennings when he fell out at the Rorters.
The NRL again, gave them a free mark by stating that any damages that the Court may rule to Hoppa, will not hit their Cap.
Why? They signed another player whilst holding onto Hoppa's signed contract :mad:

Greenturd is bending over backwards to make Parra's systematic cheating disappear :swear:
The rest of the Clubs will push him to afford them as many favours :cool:

Can of worms opens up , if the NRL Doctor signs off on Choc's 'new' career ending injury @:cool:

In effect, the NRL has potentially enabled a Club that is over the Cap, another 1.5 million overpayment in Choc plus Hoppa payouts.@:mad:

^ That should maybe have the language tidied up (lol) and sent to every media outlet! edit: And a few more emoticons. :)

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8