Parramatta Eels salary cap: Club waiting on outcome of Anthony Watmough contract issue

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He is only retiring because he has come to some financial payout agreement with Parra. Again, only retiring if he can get his money, not because he is such a good bloke or is being forced out with injury.

I bet if parra said "choc, if you retire it would be much appreciated, but we are not paying you out for your final 2 years! " Do you still think he would retire getting nothing?

Dumb arse also said it happened at start of season (even though he was hobbling on the same knee for last 2 years)

Also don't know how the NRL would allow to back date his insurance claim when he only just submitted it. He's salary should be going towards the cap at present - putting them under
Yep, all correct, a complete farce.
and you know what.......there would be nothing to stop him 'heroically' coming out of retirement at a later date.....check mate

13od4t.jpg

Pity Mike Gibson is no longer alive.....he could have done an interview with Choc's knee like he did with Mal Reilly's in the early 70's.

Yep, all correct, a complete farce.
and you know what.......there would be nothing to stop him 'heroically' coming out of retirement at a later date.....check mate
They will sail lanterns down the Parra river in memory of the great Parra hero 'the knee' - holding hands and singing tales of his amazing $2million sacrifice.

All the problems in the paper were his "other" knee. Will not help the insurer but will help with the spin
Yes his third knee. His other nickname is Jake the Peg. To his eternal credit, he has endured an enormous amount of pain, having it strapped up against his buttocks for all those years.

That in turn tended to affect his centre of gravity and in turn his renowned ball security skills.

Last edited:
These Eels have no idea what they've got on their hands with Choc. If he wants to play on, he is certainly the kind of personality to dig his heels in regardless. We saw the way he turned on Manly after two premierships and a life membership so one can hardly expect him to move aside in order to help out a club he has no history with (outside of playing one year that I might add was his worst ever).

Help me - I am old...
So, who pays Watmough out if he retires? This has probably been answered, but this thread is moving faster than I can keep up with.

Help me - I am old...
So, who pays Watmough out if he retires? This has probably been answered, but this thread is moving faster than I can keep up with.
I'm old as well, but my take on this is that basically his contract will be paid out by the Eels, unless the insurance company agrees that it was an injury unrelated to his pre existing injuries, then it will be an insurance payout.
Either way Choc is gone and will collect his $2 million, either from Parra or insurance, lucky $#@%, no wonder he's in love with Parra.
The sticking point is whether the NRL, like the insurance company will agree as to whether it's a new injury or not, if deemed to be an old injury then Parra will not get the salary cap relief it expects.
This will no doubt raise their insurance premium, but they wouldn't care as the football club is funded by all of those unfortunates who pour gazillions through the pokies at the leagues club.

Hate to prick Choc's bubble, but wouldn't his NRL contract and thereby his insured value, exclude the TPA portion of his Parra deal? :rolleyes:

The TPAs are by their nature, external to the NRL registeted contract.

Hate to prick Choc's bubble, but wouldn't his NRL contract and thereby his insured value, exclude the TPA portion of his Parra deal? :rolleyes:

The TPAs are by their nature, external to the NRL registeted contract.
And won't the amount of salary cap relief that the Eels get, also exclude the TPAs. The trouble is, how can anyone work out how much of Watmoughs contract was to be funded by TPAs ?

And won't the amount of salary cap relief that the Eels get, also exclude the TPAs. The trouble is, how can anyone work out how much of Watmoughs contract was to be funded by TPAs ?
The NRL registered portion is known and that is all that the NRL 'discount'
The rest is what has Choc worried .

This may result in Players insisting that their monies are all from a Club's Cap monies @:cool:

Last edited:
I'm old as well, but my take on this is that basically his contract will be paid out by the Eels, unless the insurance company agrees that it was an injury unrelated to his pre existing injuries, then it will be an insurance payout.
Either way Choc is gone and will collect his $2 million, either from Parra or insurance, lucky $#@%, no wonder he's in love with Parra.
The sticking point is whether the NRL, like the insurance company will agree as to whether it's a new injury or not, if deemed to be an old injury then Parra will not get the salary cap relief it expects.
This will no doubt raise their insurance premium, but they wouldn't care as the football club is funded by all of those unfortunates who pour gazillions through the pokies at the leagues club.

Thanks for the response Peter,

I cant picture any insurance co willingly handing out a couple of mil. The company will most certainly fight If somebody asserts that his injury was "new". They will be trying to prove that it is "old". It could take YEARS!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8