Penalty Counts

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
bob dylan said:
This is the easiest area of our game we can improve.

It needs to happen now.

I'm with you. Our discipline and error rate has been poor this season. It's the reason we have had to defend so much. I'd say at least 25% of our defensive efforts, particularly in the last two games, have been because of penalties due to poor discipline, or errors. A lot of the errors could be put down to fatigue thereby handing possession to the opposition - compounding the problem even further. We have been our own worst enemy in this area. I have no idea how my new 55" TV has survived the last two matches. I have been going ballistic at the telly because of this problem.

I generally couldn't care less about the penalty count. I just assume (and hope) that penalties are dished out consistently and as they occur and not because a statistic says one team has been penalised more than the other and an evening up has to occur. I watch the game and come to my own conclusion as to how the ref is going - irrespective of penalty counts. To look at the above stats that say we have only won one penalty count all season and say that we are being robbed is very short-sighted IMO. Some of you think we can do no wrong as a team and are simply being punished because we are Manly. Maybe you need to remove your tin hat and have a closer look at our high error rate and poor discipline this season. Thank God we have a gutsy side with brick wall defence as this has saved our arses the last couple of games.

All no7 openside flankers in union do what McCaw does, Pocock and G.Smith included, just none of them are as good as he is. Very smart footballer

Also agree with Frank and BD on the penalty counts, easier thing to do is improve out own discipline and stop giving away penalties especially in our own half

how is it easy to improve discipline?

Do we just give the opposition quick play the balls every play?

I think its very naive to think there isn't some bias in the refs when there are so many coincidences. Are you guys really saying that since the papers in Brisbane ran the story about the gold coast getting the rub of the green the gold coast then sat down as a team and thought the first 9 rounds we went well with the penalties so lets change our tactic to become ill disciplined for the next 2 weeks? If not how do you explain the sudden change?

How do you explain us winning the penalty count in rd 1 only to lose or draw every one since? Maybe we just behaved that game? Maybe the bronco's misbehaved that game? Did the referees get together and decide We had it too easy that game and it shouldn't be that way? I think it's more likely that our discipline went south after that game. Brent Kite being offside in the Melbourne game. Was he off side? Yes. Did he need to be? Would we have defended the last set of the game to win? Who knows? But he was off side and it was a penalty = penalty goal to Melbourne = Rest is history.

Sure there is probably a bit of bias around but is it not possible that we have put ourselves in a position where we are easy to penalize because of our poor discipline?

I believe we have a bad reputation when it comes to referees. Jamie Lyon is probably one of the more argumentative captains in the NRL which probably doesn't help. This nobody likes us we don't care siege mentality doesn't help. Kieran Foran, Steve Matai and Anthony Watmough constantly barking at the referees doesn't help either We need to be squeaky clean to shake a rep like that. If not, enjoy the nail biting, low scoring games. We'll keep bashing ourselves in defense all year and have no puff in the finals again.

I can't agree with your last statement about Jamie being argumentative. I'd say he was among the least vocal.

Normally i would agree. But this year i reckon he's been as bad as Ennis. Is it because there is bias or is it because we are on the back foot? Which came first the chicken or the egg?

Stevo said:
Normally i would agree. But this year i reckon he's been as bad as Ennis. Is it because there is bias or is it because we are on the back foot? Which came first the chicken or the egg?

The egg obviously.

Ok, I'll say it again as it seems to be getting ignored.

It's not that we aren't technically in the wrong when penalties are blown against us. It's that penalties aren't being given to us when the opposition do the same thing.

What good will cleaning up our own game do if all it means is that we have to get back further, get off quicker & state our point less?
All that would happen is that we'd win the penalty count 3 - 0 rather than losing 9 - 3. The enemy would still be lying all over us, standing in front of the refs and throwing forward passes without consequence.

Is it a bigger disadvantage being penalized or not receiving penalties?

Either way, we can't complain until we're perfect.

I don't want us to give no penalties away, I want to see that the lads are having a go, pushing the envelope. Overstepping it to prove a point if needed.
All I want is for both teams to be treated equally. If they get away with something the precedent has been set. Don't ping us for it. That is not fair. Conversely, if we get pinged for something then the other mob have to be when they do it.

That is all we need.

Stevo said:

Being penalized obviously. If we aren't giving away penalties and aren't receiving them, then it becomes a contest of skill and toughness, not a contest as to who gets the most leg ups and easy rides down field. If the penalty count was 0-0 or 2-2 or something fairly even and balanced then we would win more often than not.

I'd like to see the stat as to which teams get the most penalties on the 4th or 5th. Answer should easily be the Storm. Its got me buggered how a team which is so universally disliked still gets the most beneficial calls from the whistleblowers.

Masked Eagle said:
I'd like to see the stat as to which teams get the most penalties on the 4th or 5th. Answer should easily be the Storm. Its got me buggered how a team which is so universally disliked still gets the most beneficial calls from the whistleblowers.

Seriously, what difference should it make if a team is liked or disliked? A professional referee should never approach a gig with a preconceived idea to favour one team over another.

Frank said:
Masked Eagle said:

Seriously, what difference should it make if a team is liked or disliked? A professional referee should never approach a gig with a preconceived idea to favour one team over another.

Shouldn't make a difference, but we know the home crowds can influence a ref (except for us apparently). Refs do go into games with preconceived ideas, maybe not to favour one team over another but they do their own analysis and reviews of games. If for example, they spot something one team/player has been getting away with they might watch it more closely during the game, blissfully unaware that everyone might be doing the same thing.

Stevo said:
How do you explain us winning the penalty count in rd 1 only to lose or draw every one since? Maybe we just behaved that game? Maybe the bronco's misbehaved that game? Did the referees get together and decide We had it too easy that game and it shouldn't be that way? I think it's more likely that our discipline went south after that game. Brent Kite being offside in the Melbourne game. Was he off side? Yes. Did he need to be? Would we have defended the last set of the game to win? Who knows? But he was off side and it was a penalty = penalty goal to Melbourne = Rest is history.

Sure there is probably a bit of bias around but is it not possible that we have put ourselves in a position where we are easy to penalize because of our poor discipline?

I believe we have a bad reputation when it comes to referees. Jamie Lyon is probably one of the more argumentative captains in the NRL which probably doesn't help. This nobody likes us we don't care siege mentality doesn't help. Kieran Foran, Steve Matai and Anthony Watmough constantly barking at the referees doesn't help either We need to be squeaky clean to shake a rep like that. If not, enjoy the nail biting, low scoring games. We'll keep bashing ourselves in defense all year and have no puff in the finals again.

glad you agree with me that its preconceived based on reputation.

and Kite was on side. Horo however was not.

Chip and Chase said:
Stevo said:

Being penalized obviously. If we aren't giving away penalties and aren't receiving them, then it becomes a contest of skill and toughness, not a contest as to who gets the most leg ups and easy rides down field. If the penalty count was 0-0 or 2-2 or something fairly even and balanced then we would win more often than not.

I don't see how it's any different? Either way you're gonna be coming off your own try line every set

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7