Penn's buy out Quantum

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Rodo said:
Did anyone catch the interview last night with Scott Penn on Gibbsy’s radio show? Penn sounded very positive and said that Manly now had a good future. One important point he mentioned was that he wanted Manly to stay at Brookvale oval and that there were some exciting developments to be revealed in the near future about the ground.

His interview has now given me hope that Manly will be in a better place with the Penn's now in control.

He talks the talk alright, let's hope he walks the walk too,

Jerry1 said:
Most of them currently playing?

I'm not having a pop at Warwick - just don't know much about him.
He may well be the best thing since sliced bread - I wouldn't know sorry.

Just wondering what he has done a people seem to rate him.

Ahh...Just off the top of my head -
Lawrence - saw something that the Gold Coast didn't
Hiku - Warriors U20's player of the year at the time ( and locked in )
JSL - Panthers U20's
Blair - one of the great Ricky Stuart's famous cuts
Lui - Broncos didn't rate him

Most of us can find stars or young guns but having to find diamonds in the rough whilst managing the cap that complement what you've got shouldn't be under rated.

If we pick up Mason and/or Mateo it's a good get out of neccessity to fill a need in First Grade for a year or two whilst the unknowns hopefully come on.

Time will tell with guys like Sao, Andrews, Leary etc, if one of those three come on then it's a success.
Most rate Chee-Kam and he was meant to be the next big thing but he's one that has failed to deliver on the promise and he's got one year left to make it with us, and most recruiters would have been after him when he was at the Raiders.

Sigh. If we have to have a single ownership model, I would have preferred someone new buying out both the Penns and Quantum and starting off without any more of the petty, score-settling moves we're about to experience.
I can't quite put my finger on it, but I've never warmed to the Penns as Manly's owners. Maybe it's because Scott Penn always comes across as slightly out of his depth. Or maybe it's just that designer stubble. Hate that. Seriously, Scott - shave or grow a beard. To be caught somewhere in between smacks of indecision.
But yeah, fingers crossed, onwards and upwards, etc.

Ron E. Gibbs said:
Sigh. If we have to have a single ownership model, I would have preferred someone new buying out both the Penns and Quantum and starting off without any more of the petty, score-settling moves we're about to experience.
I can't quite put my finger on it, but I've never warmed to the Penns as Manly's owners. Maybe it's because Scott Penn always comes across as slightly out of his depth. Or maybe it's just that designer stubble. Hate that. Seriously, Scott - shave or grow a beard. To be caught somewhere in between smacks of indecision.
But yeah, fingers crossed, onwards and upwards, etc.

His indecision & poor business skills have accumulated a net worth of $25 million. I wish I was as indecisive as he is.

To help out Harry you would have to say that crusher had some influence over (and this is off the top of my head)
Matt ballin
Jamie l
Jamie b
Joe n
Glenn hall
Michael Robertson
Chris hicks
Mark Bryant
Josh perry
David Williams
Kite
Heath l
Bell
Orford
Kennedy
Trex

There are a few roughies on that list. I would argue that you can only judge a recruitment officer over time

Crusher was great over time, as Dave w might well be. It is extremely revisionist to claim crusher did not bring in players

Agree with you having a tight salary cap, limits what you can do and it was disappointing with Chee Kam as there was so much hype written about him, he could still have a great next season.
As I have said before we shouldn't forget there are some good young props that will be playing in our cup next season from the 20s who possess the size, mongrel and who have the pace, who could be coming off the bench in the top side.
All I will say about Cleal, he is very good, he has played the game at the top level and does have a smart footy brain with talent. He does a lot behind the scenes , gives advice out to other mates who coach on whether they should get this player etc. Having made the semi-finals for 14 of the 16 years he's worked in recruitment at Parramatta and then Manly.

The strong rumor I am hearing is anyone who was involved in the demise of Glen Stewart at the club, will be gone, if they can be replaced

lsz said:
To help out Harry you would have to say that crusher had some influence over (and this is off the top of my head)
Matt ballin
Jamie l
Jamie b
Joe n
Glenn hall
Michael Robertson
Chris hicks
Mark Bryant
Josh perry
David Williams
Kite
Heath l
Bell
Orford
Kennedy
Trex

There are a few roughies on that list. I would argue that you can only judge a recruitment officer over time

Crusher was great over time, as Dave w might well be. It is extremely revisionist to claim crusher did not bring in players
No 1 has ever claimed that Crusher didn't have an influence this was a particular fact we were dealing with anyway moving on. Recruitment to me is finding 15,16,17 year old's and turning them into superstars. I couldn't give Crusher (or Warwick for that matter) credit for getting J. Perry a soo player to the club or Ben Kennedy (just to name 2) who was a champion at Newcastle. A lot of the others you mentioned were already first grade players. I would argue Des could take credit for those players as he would have had the final say in those day's.

What like the 20's team which had darcy, dce , foz, Jamie b , hoppa to name a few?

Or is it taking a reserve grader like wolf man and spotting the potential in them?

lsz said:
What like the 20's team which had darcy, dce , foz, Jamie b , hoppa to name a few?

Or is it taking a reserve grader like wolf man and spotting the potential in them?

And your point is? you seem to have dropped a lot of names off your original list. You do realise we have some "reserve graders" from other clubs recruited by Warwick as well it's nothing special. For the u20's team our team this year had some out standing young players will they be as good as the players you mentioned? only time will tell.

I really want to contribute to this thread

pissingnthewind.JPG

Do I really need to repeat the names each time? You states that recruitment was about kids so I have you an example of that. That team won the minor prem easily our best result in that grade for a number of years

I can add some more players if you like
Trent h
Dean w
Jwh

All of which are rep players

My point is when crusher was here he recruited players who helped us win two comps. They were a mix of cast offs and young kids. To say he was ineffective is just silly.

Dave w might prove to achieve the same results as crusher , but at this stage, whilst the players have been good they have not delivered a comp

Jerry1 said:
Most of them currently playing?

I'm not having a pop at Warwick - just don't know much about him.
He may well be the best thing since sliced bread - I wouldn't know sorry.

Just wondering what he has done a people seem to rate him.

His posts under the name of recruitment manager are very enlightening.

lsz said:
To say he was ineffective is just silly.

Dave w might prove to achieve the same results as crusher , but at this stage, whilst the players have been good they have not delivered a comp

Please post and show me where I have said Crusher was"ineffective" I have said he is a good recruiter. I just don't buy the myth painted by some (which you obviously buy) that he is the best.To compare the 2 you would also need 2 know the budget's of both.

Mavin said:
lsz said:

Please post and show me where I have said Crusher was"ineffective" I have said he is a good recruiter. I just don't buy the myth painted by some (which you obviously buy) that he is the best.To compare the 2 you would also need 2 know the budget's of both.

And let's not forget the original reason Warwick went to the Dogs..... For years he had been doing the work and Cleal got the glory!!

Noel is a big lazy prick , has been for years and has done nothing at the Dogs, check out the Kennel to see what they think.

Mark from Brisbane said:
Mavin said:
lsz said:

And let's not forget the original reason Warwick went to the Dogs..... For years he had been doing the work and Cleal got the glory!!

Noel is a big lazy prick , has been for years and has done nothing at the Dogs, check out the Kennel to see what they think.

I think dogs have been building a reasonable side. Second this year ain't a bad effort.

Not saying he is the best rather he has the results on the board

Put aside your agendas and you can see it. Over time Dave might be the same we will wait and see

Regardless of how I feel the Penn's won the war, and whatever they want they get.

I just feel a really smart move would be to stand down Zorba, FFS he's about 75 now isn't he??

The FC is still important in that it holds the Rights to the name , colours and where the games are played at BUT a smart move for them might be to stand Bob O'Reilly down from their board, and if both did that you might eventually get some peace.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8