Post-Game Discussion Penrith v Manly [Round 1, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Game Information

Panthers
Vs
Sea Eagles
28 BlueBet Stadium
10 Mar 2022 20:05
80th minute

Match Stats

Another round 1 loss so let's not be too negative. But there are little concerns, we didn't look like we learnt from our finals series in that game. We played exactly the same, with no patience and build-up with the ball and just very very soft defense. Thought that finals series would kick us up in the ass with what we have to work on and do.

Penrith still on another level though, watching them live and seeing how well drilled they are on both sides of the ball and just the suffocating line speed. They are too good. We gotta lot to work on to match them when we play them next.

Another round 1 loss so let's not be too negative. But there are little concerns, we didn't look like we learnt from our finals series in that game. We played exactly the same, with no patience and build-up with the ball and just very very soft defense. Thought that finals series would kick us up in the ass with what we have to work on and do.

Penrith still on another level though, watching them live and seeing how well drilled they are on both sides of the ball and just the suffocating line speed. They are too good. We gotta lot to work on to match them when we play them next.
Wouldn’t say it was soft Defence mate. Thought it was overall pretty impressive with the amount of possession they had which they would’ve posted 50+ on most teams. Agree with the rest.

Get a fair share of possession, we will smoke most teams. Can we bridge the gap between the so called elite teams…fkn oath we can and will. This team is young in many aspects and made the semi final last year, and will improve dramatically as the season goes on. Oh, and if anyone disagrees, I’d be happy to listen to odds offered on a top 4 finish.

Last edited:
Maybe but their replacement halfback played the perfect fill in role. Kicked us off the park.
He was playing behind dominant forward pack , ask Kyle Flannigan went from top points scorer at the Roosters to reserve grade behind a doggies forward pack

I am a DCE fan but he plays too many low percentage plays when we are in trouble digging us even deeper. DCE and Foran weren’t a patch on the Penrith halves. We can’t win this comp with our halves.
100%.
PS, I’m a Cherry Evan hater. Grossly overrated, constant mix of good and bad vs mediocre-bad teams, and never plays well against good teams, oh and wrecking our salary cap.

Overall the whole game was more about Penrith superiority in physicality and attitude, but Daly Cherry-Evans spent the whole game wrecking every single attack on his side by hardly ever passing the ball.
Not only did he not pass the ball when there was players open next to him, he didn’t organise anything to generate an attack. That Huamole was The most dangerous player on the right side with his hit ups is a total embarrassment for Cherry Evans.
We saw a warning in the trial game where Cherry Evan’s never set up any attack for Koula or Saab, with Jack Wighton mistakes for the Raiders doing more for Manly’s attack then Cherry Evans ever did.

I am a DCE fan but he plays too many low percentage plays when we are in trouble digging us even deeper. DCE and Foran weren’t a patch on the Penrith halves. We can’t win this comp with our halves.
If we swapped halves tonight it would still be the same outcome , Kyle Flannigan looked a champion behind the Roosters pack now playing reserve grade behind doggies forward pack

Lol. Imagine If Cleary was in their side. 50 points.
I don't think it would have been much different, the half had a very good game they beat us with their kicking game, their go forward and fast play the balls their tackling was different they had one player grabbing an arm and leg and putting our players down on their stomachs slowing (legally) our play the balls , very effective, aided by some generous six agains .... Croker makes a huge amount of tackles .. like Balin did but is not creative also like Balin ... maybe time to blood young Gordon Chan Kum Tong ... but again DCE fails in the really tough games to create !

Last edited:
New Year, same Manly. No composure, bullied in the forwards, too many errors.
yep same old manly..... boring, slow, underwhelming...... i guess we will finish 14th again this year.....

hang on! we finished 4th last year and were one game from the GF playing some of the best footy I've ever seen. If it's the same old Manly from last year then I will take a big helping thanks. and who knows we might just beat some of those top 3 sides this time around....

It was from the get go. A complete lack of focus. The famous one percenters all champions have.
I don't think it was a complete lack of focus. what it was, was coming up against a side that doesn't know how to lose. 6 games in 2 years and most of those were during Origin. That side is like the All blacks in Rugger. They play to win and do it very very well regardless of whos in the jumper.

Was the storm side we beat in 2008 40 - 0 a bad side? No, they just came up against our equivalent GOAT side and got smashed. They best 14 other sides to get to that game and we still made them look like Poop.

I don't think it was a complete lack of focus. what it was, was coming up against a side that doesn't know how to lose. 6 games in 2 years and most of those were during Origin. That side is like the All blacks in Rugger. They play to win and do it very very well regardless of whos in the jumper.

Was the storm side we beat in 2008 40 - 0 a bad side? No, they just came up against our equivalent GOAT side and got smashed. They best 14 other sides to get to that game and we still made them look like Poop.
True. But surely we aim to be the best.

Been saying that at season's end last year ,we need to move to the next level and our 2021 halves will not take us there .They put no fear on the opposition with any instinctive plays ,good variety of kicking ,creating opportunities with little ball they get ,etc .We have the best back 3 and are wasted because we do not create space for them accept hit up 5 and Foran or Evans kicks .We scored a try last night from a F/up play the ball on the 5th tackle and showed what we can do .Lets hope for something new before we get into the finals this year .

For me the frustrating thing was that whilst yes we were camped coming out of our own end all night, when we're coming out all we were doing was taking one out runs - Penrith will eat that up all night!

We needed to look to shift the ball and try and disrupt their defensive structure which is clearly the best in the competition.

yep same old manly..... boring, slow, underwhelming...... i guess we will finish 14th again this year.....

hang on! we finished 4th last year and were one game from the GF playing some of the best footy I've ever seen. If it's the same old Manly from last year then I will take a big helping thanks. and who knows we might just beat some of those top 3 sides this time around....
EOL if we hadn't been uncompetitive against the Top3 teams last year this loss wouldn't be as concerning. Finishing 4th last year was a nice story after the start we had. But surely we have higher ambitions that that.

Wasn’t as bad as round one last year……

Scoreline wise true, however the Panthers had a couple of tries disallowed which would have made the score closer to last yr rd 1 and we had TT last night. From memory it was a wet weather game last yr against the chooks?

Scoreline wise true, however the Panthers had a couple of tries disallowed which would have made the score closer to last yr rd 1 and we had TT last night. From memory it was a wet weather game last yr against the chooks?
Bone dry and fast track v Easts. Was wet v Souths the following week.

I have had time to deal with the disappointment and emotion of last night.

But I am deeply concerned that our performance last night was no better than our performances against the top 3 sides last year. We appeared have learned nothing and nothing appears to have changed. Its not only about effort and focus its about recognizing and addressing deficiencies in your approach to the game and structure. It wasn't just errors that hurt us they beat us across the park and I recognize that after 20 minutes or so they were given a license to lay all over us whilst we were hammered with six again calls. They were 30 points better than us last night. There defensive structure is better than ours and their line speed was so quick I thought they were allowed to move up too early. Their attack is far more diversified than ours, so much so that we look one dimensional in attack and look very easy to defend against.

I know certain players get a lot of love on here but everybody's career comes to an end and every player has a ceiling. Our major weakness is dummy half when we have the ball. No threat to the defense and we are predictable and easily read. We made very few lines brakes last night. Our halves are coming to the end of their careers and are not playing at the level required for us to compete with the big boys. Very few line breaks and very little creativity from Foran and DCE. Great try on half time but that's all we had to offer.

We need hooker that breaks the defensive line and some creativity in the halves. Its time for Schuster at five eight and for Des to leave history where it should be which is in the past. the lack of creativity in close means that poor Turbo has to try to do all of the attack himself just like the star player in a u/7's game. Its easier to shut down a one class player if they is no threat elsewhere.

Our centres and wingers looked like boys playing against men last night and as fragile as a crystal vase in defense.

Last night Big O owned Kikau but everyone else got dominated by the Penrith pack.

We need a reboot and a rethink. Otherwise nothing will change and it will be the same as last year. I acknowledge that is far better than previous years and far more enjoyable. But I'm greedy for Manly success and I would like them to catch up with the front runners.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10