Peta Hiku - 2013 Content Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
RE: Hiku

The Who said:
OK. You've seen it on replay. I was at the game when you only see things fleetingly. Forget that incidence. But he had an ordinary match. I've seen him in reserves and not noticed the brilliance to go with the hype. I was expecting a lot more.
I would love nothing better than to see him become a champion.
And to Volley - calling me an idiot for expressing what I believe is an honest opinion means one of two things: you are a relative/friend acquaintance of the kid, or you are incapable of seeing a match through anything but maroon and white glasses.

I never go too hard or judge a player based on a debut effort

Nobody thought much of Glenn Stewart or Matai when they played their debut matches but look where they are now

Kiwi Eagle said:
The Who said:
OK. You've seen it on replay. I was at the game when you only see things fleetingly. Forget that incidence. But he had an ordinary match. I've seen him in reserves and not noticed the brilliance to go with the hype. I was expecting a lot more.
And to Volley - calling me an idiot for expressing what I believe is an honest opinion means one of two things: you are a relative/friend acquaintance of the kid, or you are incapable of seeing a match through anything but maroon and white glasses.

Nobody thought much of Glenn Stewart or Matai when they played their debut matches but look where they are now

Great minds kiwi.

Garts said:
Jeez he was a kid on debut. Nothing flashy but is a good prospect. I remember Jorge was apparently !t after his first few games. Same with G Stewart, Matai etc. Anyone writing him off is thick.

Certainly not writing him off. My observations are not a personal attack.

Garts said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
The Who said:

Great minds kiwi.

Lol yeah mate, and hopefully Hiku can kick onto that list

I also remember how **** DCE was on here post debut

The Who said:
Garts said:
Jeez he was a kid on debut. Nothing flashy but is a good prospect. I remember Jorge was apparently !t after his first few games. Same with G Stewart, Matai etc. Anyone writing him off is thick.

Certainly not writing him off. My observations are not a personal attack.

My comments were not directed at anyone in particular. Just a general comment as people always wrote off debutants after a few poor choices.

Outplayed his opposite Jorge so strange comments from some. Entitled to opinions but opinion shows lack of understanding of rugby league

Well the players gave Hiku 2 points at their 3-2-1 awards at the Club, partly as an encouragement, which I thought was a really nice touch :)

The Who said:

Sorry for calling you an idiot, but your criticisms of a young bloke on debut were extreme to the max. Sounded like a complete write-off of the bloke.

He by no means had a great game, he had some forgettable moments, but also showed some promise.

I made the mistake of writing off Matai too early, and I'm not going to repeat it.

Kiwi Eagle said:
Just watched that 2nd sharks try again, anyone blaming him for that is kidding themselves imo

Lyon pulled a mile infield, the rest of the team don't come across in time, Symonds is in no mans land on the inside, Mills runs the ball to Hiku who is covering the centre position and draws him in before passing to Stapleton outside who is unmarked due to Lyon being infield

Yeah spot on, he was ****ed either way. Standard 2 on 1 situation.

He did make one or 2 bad reads throughout the game but as I said nothing to worry about considering it was his debut. He shows promise, as you said the same blokes ripped into Taufua last year and he's now being mentioned for origin.

Keep sinking the boot in people. It's working!

He bounced off the sharks winger who was going for one of those try's. but he can only improve. Overall he did ok.

I was wrapped for the neph getting a run in the 1st grade and scoring a try on debut. I thought he had a reasonable game and while not spectacular did most things well bar the lost ball and some defensive reads which are expected in your FIRST game. Also playing out of position and natural 1st game jitters can play their part especially with the high kicks. He didn't set the world on fire but showed glimpses of potential which is all you can ask for one game. I think he still needs to improve areas of his game before he could be a permanent fixture in 1st grade however Tooves must see something in him to bring him in. I have seen far more worse debuts by players so he didnt do too bad. I know its sounds weird being family but I would actually prefer he not be playing because it means one of back three is injured or out. I really want our top 17 playing every week and even though Peta is my nephew I am an unbiased Manly supporter and support the teams interest first. I have always been a huge Wolfman fan so I would have preferred he played today but for whatever reason he couldn't and Peta got a run. You take your chances in pro sport and it's up to Peta to make the most of it. Im hoping he can when the opportunities arise.

Well said mate. I think he has alot of potential. His time will come as a full time nrl player.

Alot of people forget fullback and wing is alot different. Especially in D.

Jax24 said:
I was wrapped for the neph getting a run in the 1st grade and scoring a try on debut. I thought he had a reasonable game and while not spectacular did most things well bar the lost ball and some defensive reads which are expected in your FIRST game. Also playing out of position and natural 1st game jitters can play their part especially with the high kicks. He didn't set the world on fire but showed glimpses of potential which is all you can ask for one game. I think he still needs to improve areas of his game before he could be a permanent fixture in 1st grade however Tooves must see something in him to bring him in. I have seen far more worse debuts by players so he didnt do too bad. I know its sounds weird being family but I would actually prefer he not be playing because it means one of back three is injured or out. I really want our top 17 playing every week and even though Peta is my nephew I am an unbiased Manly supporter and support the teams interest first. I have always been a huge Wolfman fan so I would have preferred he played today but for whatever reason he couldn't and Peta got a run. You take your chances in pro sport and it's up to Peta to make the most of it. Im hoping he can when the opportunities arise.

Yep well said jax PETA had a couple of nice touches and didn't look out of place in the top grade

Some have suggested he didn't make much ground on Nathan Stapleton when he scored his try. Stapleton has a background in athletics and he and his brother Brett were awarded athletics scholorships at the Southport School on the gold coast. He has been recorded under 11 seconds for the 100m.

When I saw Hiku chasing him I was surprised he got so close.

Damb some people take things way to far, on here you only have to say a player made a bad read or was caught out and you are made out like you have written them off forever....I think Hiku made some bad reads but it does not mean im writing him off, Taufua was the same in his first few games and he is now one of my favorite players.

Is the pronunciation He koo? Or Hi koo. The commentators were using the later, I thought it was the former.

Hiku

Wow, this thread.

Thought he was very good. Made a mistake or two, but is anyone criticising Watmoughs poor ball control and lack of discipline. I know I am not.

bob dylan said:
Wow, this thread.

Thought he was very good. Made a mistake or two, but is anyone criticising Watmoughs poor ball control and lack of discipline. I know I am not.

I had a go at Choc in the game day thread, he needs to slow things down a tad IMO.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6