Peta Hiku - 2013 Content Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
RE: Hiku

manlyfan76 said:
Is the pronunciation He koo? Or Hi koo. The commentators were using the later, I thought it was the former.
Yeah your right mate you got it. It's pronounced He-Koo. Yeah I thought I heard Brandy saying Hi Koo or even Hi Ka lol. The Maori letter I is pronounced E. Reminds me of the Iro brothers. The commentators would say Eye-Row when it's actually E-Roar. Not their fault but it is fun seeing what they come up with lol.

Thanks Jax I'm no expert with language but I've worked in pubs in Brisbane and Gold Coast so am experienced with the accent.

The best thing I seem from him today was the way he came back after a rough start. To me, that shows the attitude of a first grader. Thought he did ok overall.

manlyfan76 said:
Thanks Jax I'm no expert with language but I've worked in pubs in Brisbane and Gold Coast so am experienced with the accent.
All good mate I thought you had some knowledge of it. Also I couldn't tell whether the commentators where saying Peter or not but it's actually Pear -Tar. Sounds close enough but that's the proper way. Oh well hopefully he can get a few more runs so they can get it right lol.

Hiku

Well done Hiku, solid debut! Nice try, some good runs & tackles today. Not perfect but can't expect that of a debutant.

People have talked about questionable defensive reads of Hiku's today but the most glaring one was made by Taufua on the last Sharks try. He had no need to leave his man & come off his wing to assist Matai.

Pepi said:
I thought Hiku looked promising. Well done to the kid, I think he has a big future.

Was that He-koo or Hi-Koo ;)

I thought he had a reasonable debut, not in the league of Folau, but certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

He can add his list to the name of Manly players who didn't put in a man of the match performance on debut. Big deal, I thought he was solid enough, and how many players get a try on debut ?

Chip and Chase said:
He can add his list to the name of Manly players who didn't put in a man of the match performance on debut. Big deal, I thought he was solid enough, and how many players get a try on debut ?

Bani :p

Mals said:
Well done Hiku, solid debut! Nice try, some good runs & tackles today. Not perfect but can't expect that of a debutant.

People have talked about questionable defensive reads of Hiku's today but the most glaring one was made by Taufua on the last Sharks try. He had no need to leave his man & come off his wing to assist Matai.

Good pick up Mals. Taufua needed to trust Matai to make the tackle - which he did. Cost us 6 points. But Taufua has plenty of credit in the bank. And players need to learn to run off Taufua's shoulder - the number of times he gets his body through the line ready to pass the ball is amazing.

Hiku scored one try and set up another. That the ref stuffed up and disallowed it is not Hiku's fault. Having said that, IMO he needs to bulk up to be a top grader. Still plays young.

Jax24 said:
I was wrapped for the neph getting a run in the 1st grade and scoring a try on debut. I thought he had a reasonable game and while not spectacular did most things well bar the lost ball and some defensive reads which are expected in your FIRST game. Also playing out of position and natural 1st game jitters can play their part especially with the high kicks. He didn't set the world on fire but showed glimpses of potential which is all you can ask for one game. I think he still needs to improve areas of his game before he could be a permanent fixture in 1st grade however Tooves must see something in him to bring him in. I have seen far more worse debuts by players so he didnt do too bad. I know its sounds weird being family but I would actually prefer he not be playing because it means one of back three is injured or out. I really want our top 17 playing every week and even though Peta is my nephew I am an unbiased Manly supporter and support the teams interest first. I have always been a huge Wolfman fan so I would have preferred he played today but for whatever reason he couldn't and Peta got a run. You take your chances in pro sport and it's up to Peta to make the most of it. Im hoping he can when the opportunities arise.
Not good enough jax you're allowed to be a bias supporter :)
Solid debut from the kid he got voted 2 points in the players 3-2-1

Jax24 said:
I was wrapped for the neph getting a run in the 1st grade and scoring a try on debut. I thought he had a reasonable game and while not spectacular did most things well bar the lost ball and some defensive reads which are expected in your FIRST game. Also playing out of position and natural 1st game jitters can play their part especially with the high kicks. He didn't set the world on fire but showed glimpses of potential which is all you can ask for one game. I think he still needs to improve areas of his game before he could be a permanent fixture in 1st grade however Tooves must see something in him to bring him in. I have seen far more worse debuts by players so he didnt do too bad. I know its sounds weird being family but I would actually prefer he not be playing because it means one of back three is injured or out. I really want our top 17 playing every week and even though Peta is my nephew I am an unbiased Manly supporter and support the teams interest first. I have always been a huge Wolfman fan so I would have preferred he played today but for whatever reason he couldn't and Peta got a run. You take your chances in pro sport and it's up to Peta to make the most of it. Im hoping he can when the opportunities arise.
It would be great to have more relatives of players posting here, @[Jax24].

If you get a chance to give us some feedback on Peta's feelings about his debut for the mighty Sea Eagles I'd love to hear them. He must have had a few butterflies but by the end of the match he had clearly shown his potential, in my view. Congrats.

Good debut by Hiku remember he was playing Toyota Cup last season so a bit of Toovy bone and muscle polish on the lad and he will kick on dont you worry about that.

Not writing him off like has been said previously you never know after 1 game - but his lack of great pace suggests to me he will have to bulk up ( as no doubt he will ) if he's gonna be a top player. I thought Stapleton was the slowest winger going & he sprinted away. That was my only criticism, the rest of his game was OK. With ball in hand he looks to have talent.

The trouble with that try is that there was no sweeper covering that breakout. That's a move that gets Inglis a lot of tries. Hopefully when we play Souths that catch and run will be stopped.

wombatgc said:
Volley said:
I was a bit bummed when he didn't make any inroads on Stapleton though, I was hoping for a bit more pace from him.
Same. He moves a bit like Barba, but without his speed.

Barba didn't have Barba's speed when he stepped into first grade either.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4