Phil Hughes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Totally understandable mate, wasn't criticising the decision. I don't doubt it has had a major effect up your way as there would be plenty who knew or played with him. Tragic story all round. I can't get it out of my head TBH, especially when i think about having to play tomorrow. i think it's great that teams that are playing will be doing all sorts of things to honour his memory.

I think it's just the sheer bloody sadness of seeing someone who is living the dream of all Aussie blokes who enjoy cricket being cruelly snatched away in a completely freakish way. Especially such a humble and down to earth guy like Hughes, someone who fought hard and played the game his way and backed himself. The only small positive I can find is that he died doing what he enjoyed the most in life, from all reports he would not have felt any pain or known anything once that artery burst and bled into his brain. His last memory would have been his eye's lighting up at a short one and him thinking this is going into the 10th row of the concourse.

Sorry to hear Clint

It is tough enough for everyone, let alone anyone who had some sort of direct involvement with him

lsz said:
Sorry to hear Clint

It is tough enough for everyone, let alone anyone who had some sort of direct involvement with him

Thanks Isz. Phillip wouldn't know me from a bar of soap tbh, but we did play a couple of games together before he hit the big time.
Like everyone, I'm just in a total state of shock and disbelief.

Sorry Hughesy, I couldn't do much to honour your memory today. Run out for 7. I did have a dirty flay at one outside off that I didn't really get all of and it tantalisingly squirted over points head. I reckon if you squinted your eyes and were standing at deep fine leg, and the sun was low on the horizon, it might have looked a little bit like a shot you would have played. Sort of. I tried anyway. RIP.

Chip and Chase said:
Sorry Hughesy, I couldn't do much to honour your memory today. Run out for 7. I did have a dirty flay at one outside off that I didn't really get all of and it tantalisingly squirted over points head. I reckon if you squinted your eyes and were standing at deep fine leg, and the sun was low on the horizon, it might have looked a little bit like a shot you would have played. Sort of. I tried anyway. RIP.

Love ya work C&C. About to head down to the Sawtie to have a few quiet one's with the lads.
Good luck to everyone playing today.
No matter the result, I am sure Hughesy is in every cricket lovers thoughts today.

Pretty sombre afternoon down at the pub.
As you'd expect a bit of reminiscing of Phillips short time at the club.
One bloke (our current 1st grade opening bat) played a lot of cricket with Phillip and Jason.
He would open the batting with Phillip and Jason would come in at first drop. He said regularly they'd be 1 for 300. He'd get out for 30 odd and Jason & Phillip would then just bat all day. He said in one inter-district final they scored 1 for 295 off 50 overs, with Phillip and Jason pasting the bowlers all over the park.
Our past President told the story of when Phillip first came to the club, and it was like,
"where do you bat young fella"
"well I'm an opener" was the reply.
"Well mate we already have two openers so you can bat at 6".
If only we knew how good he really was. :blush:
Our blokes would be out there poking and prodding around and Phillip would come out and flay the bowlers all over the ground with reckless abandonment.
Sorely missed already, but will never be forgotten.
VALE Phillip Hughes

My side all had our bats lined up before play, and we had a minutes silence. Also all junior cricket in Christchurch was changed for the day, instead of the juniors retiring at 50, it was 63 yesterday

Our game was yet another debacle. Opposition had 8 while they waited for 2 more to show up, and won the toss and bowled with 8 for 20 overs. Idiots. Long story short we made 355 from our 50, I made 19 before a short ball hit the base of the stumps lol

We took 3 early, then they had a bit of a partnership which I managed to break then mopped up the rest, took 4-1 in my last 2 overs to finish with 4-10 from 6 as they made 107

Cheers mate, was hard work on that pitch but kept bangin it in hard

Got our 1 and 2 dayers out of the way against the bottom 2 sides now so looking forward to getting into some proper conpetitive cricket. 2 1 day games next weekend could seal our semi final spot

Check this out.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sawtell-Cricket-Club/168161829923411

This is worth a watch

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/dec/02/the-joy-of-six-phillip-hughes

The big tv show sports centre just mentioned Phil in their round up of sporting people who, sadly, passed away.

A nice touch seeing as everything here is usually ice hockey, nfl, nba, baseball, or soccer related.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6