Players & RLPA v NRL: Ongoing Saga

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
A look at this suggests it is the NRL being unreasonable not the players...

Thanks comrade... keep singing the "Internationale"

Remember that was put out by the RLPA, need to see a response by the NRL, there's always 2 sides to a story.

Remember that was put out by the RLPA, need to see a response by the NRL, there's always 2 sides to a story.
Quite true, but the NRL hasn't denied that these are the sticking points in the negotiation. They've simply repeated 'the Players have got plenty' and 'the players are unreasonable'. And the media employees have focussed on 'Newton is a dick' which may or may not be so but isn't exactly relevant to any of these issues..So far as I can see at least.

So DCE is a communist bastard? You're hilarious!
Which of those listed player issues do you say is wrong or unimportant? I haven't looked closesly but at a glance they looked legit to me, happy to be corrected though.

Quite true, but the NRL hasn't denied that these are the sticking points in the negotiation. They've simply repeated 'the Players have got plenty' and 'the players are unreasonable'. And the media employees have focussed on 'Newton is a dick' which may or may not be so but isn't exactly relevant to any of these issues..So far as I can see at least.
"Players got plenty"is where the NRL went wrong I think, they decided on 37% wage increase thinking that would satisfy the rlpa, but the rlpa can see the money pot building and find ways to get more of a share, maybe the nrl should reduce the pay increase to 20% and distribute the other17% as the rlpa request, remember the rlpa is funded by the nrl, imagine a large company funding the unions.

As is always the case , both sides have good points , they need to meet in the middle somewhere.

It’s like unions , when they first started it was all about “ safety , welfare , better working conditions “, which in anyone’s view are all fair and reasonable BUT then they became heavy handed , and it became more about power / money.

I do agree with the RLPA that this needs to go to mediation by an independent body.

And they met somewhere in the middle.

The expansion of the game , with more games , will only see more $$$$ pumped into the game , which they will benefit from, so I reckon they are cutting off their noses despite their face there.

But I’m all for better health / welfare / long term issues etc etc being better covered.

Needs to be a bit of give and take here. The NRL can't give the players everything they want. And the players can't give the NRL everything they want.

Like any relationship, both parties need each other to prosper. This is all about money and power. Those involved have to find a way to negotiate and meet each other halfway. That's what compromise is all about.

The players are showing the NRL that they are serious and are not afraid to stand up to them. Got to respect that.

I had heard that many times but turns out not true. There is a revenue sharing agreement between players and NRL, and the cost of the RLPA comes from the players share, not the NRL's.
Maybe so, I heard newton on radio saying due to the increase in the number of players (members) that the rlpa look after, they were looking for an increase in funding from the nrl to run the rlpa, so they obviously don't want it to come from the players share.

and, not having a go at you Leonard, but just in relation to that sort of argument - could not the same be said for cops - soldiers - construction workers, tree loppers, come on you all knew there were risks, you could have got a safe job in a library! or whatev

As is always the case , both sides have good points , they need to meet in the middle somewhere.

It’s like unions , when they first started it was all about “ safety , welfare , better working conditions “, which in anyone’s view are all fair and reasonable BUT then they became heavy handed , and it became more about power / money.

I do agree with the RLPA that this needs to go to mediation by an independent body.

And they met somewhere in the middle.

The expansion of the game , with more games , will only see more $$$$ pumped into the game , which they will benefit from, so I reckon they are cutting off their noses despite their face there.

But I’m all for better health / welfare / long term issues etc etc being better covered.
With Channel 7 wanting to sit at the negotiation table in respect of future broadcasting deals the revenue received by the NRL will surely increase and probably significantly. It sounds like the NRL are playing the old tune of "it's my way or the highway". A proposition such as "this is our final offer" means that the negotiation is over. I can understand why the RLPA feel aggrieved. I'd rather those reporting on this dispute provide informed, accurate and balanced explanations of the two completing positions rather than personal criticisms of those involved. Perhaps that is beyond them.

With Channel 7 wanting to sit at the negotiation table in respect of future broadcasting deals the revenue received by the NRL will surely increase and probably significantly. It sounds like the NRL are playing the old tune of "it's my way or the highway". A proposition such as "this is our final offer" means that the negotiation is over. I can understand why the RLPA feel aggrieved. I'd rather those reporting on this dispute provide informed, accurate and balanced explanations of the two completing positions rather than personal criticisms of those involved. Perhaps that is beyond them.
They are the media , it’ll always be reported from “ their side “.

To be honest I’m not sure how the RLPA hope to get their story out as it’ll always be “ massaged “ by their lord and masters , Fox & Nein.

Last edited:
"Players got plenty"is where the NRL went wrong I think, they decided on 37% wage increase thinking that would satisfy the rlpa, but the rlpa can see the money pot building and find ways to get more of a share, maybe the nrl should reduce the pay increase to 20% and distribute the other17% as the rlpa request, remember the rlpa is funded by the nrl, imagine a large company funding the unions.

I don't think it's about money Mark ... I think it is about Newton's ego ... he has delusions of relevance ... all the stumbling blocks appear to be "power" issues ... as in more for the RLPa

The claims are like an 18th century mine boss striking for more biscuits for his tea time, while the 9 year olds are going down the pit for 14 hours ...

Meanwhile in the real world ambo's and nurses are struggling to get a 4% pay rise ... whilst 18 year old unqualified footballers are on a min of $150k and the average wage of 1st grader is $400k ... and fans are saving up to buy tickets

I don't think it's about money Mark ... I think it is about Newton's ego ... he has delusions of relevance ... all the stumbling blocks appear to be "power" issues ... as in more for the RLPa

The claims are like an 18th century mine boss striking for more biscuits for his tea time, while the 9 year olds are going down the pit for 14 hours ...

Meanwhile in the real world ambo's and nurses are struggling to get a 4% pay rise ... whilst 18 year old unqualified footballers are on a min of $150k and the average wage of 1st grader is $400k ... and fans are saving up to buy tickets
Well if it’s a power trip it’ll end up ugly , and no Independent mediator will accept that **** anyway.

Yes, the view of James Hooper and Gordie Tallis.
So… the likes of DCE, Cam Smith, Wade Graham and many other senior players willingly took serious action they knew would be unpopular with fans, and they knew they’d be absolutely lambasted by the game’s powerful media stakeholders (as they have been) – just because they were tricked by Newton? (Now, maybe if it was old Bert, he was quite the charmer, but Clint??? lol.)

Just doesn’t ring true, those player delegates aren't stupid, (well not that stupid) plus the argument is an obvious ploy to divert fans from looking at the actual points the parties disagree on.

Wow, this one is even more interesting!

Are you proposing that fairness dictates everyone should be paid on parity? Does this mean you oppose an individual’s ability to negotiate themselves to a position of privilege, whether through talent, hard work, smarts, luck (or more likely, all of the above?)

Or maybe you don’t propose parity, you think an individual should be able to raise themselves to a position of wealth ...but only up to a certain point. But if this is your view, where is that point? An arbitrary point decided by… V’landys? You?

I might have to play the Internationale for you next time!!! @:D

The players know what they are worth as do the administrators.

And how much money the game makes.

It's just a matter of agreeing to how the funds are distributed, a certain level of autonomy for the players and consultation.

Collective bargaining agreements are very important. You can't negotiate one way and say that this is how it's going to be. That's not a negotiation.

Yes, the view of James Hooper and Gordie Tallis.
So… the likes of DCE, Cam Smith, Wade Graham and many other senior players willingly took serious action they knew would be unpopular with fans, and they knew they’d be absolutely lambasted by the game’s powerful media stakeholders (as they have been) – just because they were tricked by Newton? (Now, maybe if it was old Bert, he was quite the charmer, but Clint??? lol.)

Just doesn’t ring true, those player delegates aren't stupid, (well not that stupid) plus the argument is an obvious ploy to divert fans from looking at the actual points the parties disagree on.

Wow, this one is even more interesting!

Are you proposing that fairness dictates everyone should be paid on parity? Does this mean you oppose an individual’s ability to negotiate themselves to a position of privilege, whether through talent, hard work, smarts, luck (or more likely, all of the above?)

Or maybe you don’t propose parity, you think an individual should be able to raise themselves to a position of wealth ...but only up to a certain point. But if this is your view, where is that point? An arbitrary point decided by… V’landys? You?

I might have to play the Internationale for you next time!!! @:D

You need to have a cup of hot chocolate .. and a little nap ..

The players have been pretty average in their coms - when you look into it just a little bit you can see that there is nothing that unreasonable…it is just communicated pretty poorly

The players have been pretty average in their coms - when you look into it just a little bit you can see that there is nothing that unreasonable…it is just communicated pretty poorly

I'm not certain ... and happy to be corrected ... but I believe the BIG deal breaker is the injured players fund ... 100's and 100's of millions are set to be put aside over the coming years ... this has been agreed ... the problem is who controls it, and more importantly .. the money.

Newtown wants the rlpa to control it ... and the NRL says we would have to be bonkers to let you anywhere near it .... all the rest is just window dressing.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8