Players & RLPA v NRL: Ongoing Saga

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I haven't been following this at all.
I tried to read a few posts and am now even less interested.
The players union in the MLB is so strong that players need to be very bad to get any real punishment. I don't mind a good union but some have too much power.that said employers should never have all the power.

I'm not certain ... and happy to be corrected ... but I believe the BIG deal breaker is the injured players fund ... 100's and 100's of millions are set to be put aside over the coming years ... this has been agreed ... the problem is who controls it, and more importantly .. the money.

Newtown wants the rlpa to control it ... and the NRL says we would have to be bonkers to let you anywhere near it .... all the rest is just window dressing.
To be fair in almost every other code that sort of fund is controlled by the players

There are also certain issues re games and funding that they need to clarify

Hopefully the NRL fines the players and clubs for taping up the logo. I can’t imagine Telstra being too happy missing out on paid sponsorship.
As they say ‘don’t bite the hand that feeds you’. Newton is a pork chop just trying to stay relevant.

To be fair in almost every other code that sort of fund is controlled by the players

There are also certain issues re games and funding that they need to clarify

Perhaps, and I am speculating, in those where the players control the fund, the players themselves pay into it by way of volunteer deductions from their pay cheque. In which case control would be reasonable.

A distinction in this case is the money is coming direct from the NRL.

They could of course increase the salary cap accordingly ... and hope all the players, like Matterson, tick the box for deductions to be taken out.

Woodsie this is incorrect - the players and NRL have an existing revenue sharing agreement and the various injured player and other welfare funds are funded by the players share. Check out the link posted previously and the heading 'what is the issue with controlling where the money is spent'.

Hopefully the NRL fines the players and clubs for taping up the logo. I can’t imagine Telstra being too happy missing out on paid sponsorship.
As they say ‘don’t bite the hand that feeds you’. Newton is a pork chop just trying to stay relevant.
Yeah, Newton's lost the plot alright, saw him talking to the Union boss Sally McManus, maybe he wants the players to join the Union now lol. Could it be Newton's inability to stich anything together, and it's been all of 20mths now of nothing.

I honestly don't understand the RLPA's approach with the banning of player's talking on game days.

It's the opportunity to have their say ffs!!!!! Otherwise they rely on reporting from SMH (this masthead is owned by Nine), News Ltd and Fox. What agenda do the RLPA think these august media companies might be pushing?

Meanwhile, the Hollywood writers and actors are on strike and all happily grab every opportunity in front of a mic, on twitter, insta, etc, to convincingly put their case. Because of this, I completely understand their whole argument. Unlike that of the RLPA which is so poorly communicated that the vast majority, both here on ST and in the wider community, don't really have a grasp of what they're on about.

Most people will be paying attention when you have a microphone shoved under the panting, sweaty nose of one of your members on game day. Give them the opportunity to speak you twats!!!!!

It's pretty straightforward, the RLPA wants negotiations to progress with an independent negotiator, with the NRL having who they want present, and the RLPA having who they want present. Totally reasonable, and standard practice where for industrial disputes where parties have reached an impasse. The NRL is refusing to do this.

Who cares if Newton spoke to Sally McManus? He is looking for advice from someone who has high experience in industrial disputes. It is in the RLPAs and therefore the players interest that he does that.

Don't expect to read anything in support of the RLPA in the mainstream media either - VLandys sold the rights to them very cheaply, and they are very interested in scratching each other's backs. Players like Buhrer have given a great explanation on Mason and Horos podcast around some of the sticking points, and frankly it's completely reasonable to fight their case.

Clint Newton is completely justified in his actions the head of the RLPA.

Peter V'landys wants the negotiations to progress but only without the RLPA having lawyers or the head of the RLPA present. That should be a red flag to everyone on this forum as to what side is actually being slippery and underhanded in these negotiations.

Last edited:
Short of going on strike and as long as players are still getting paid and then to automatically receive that not inconsiderable pay increase in future seasons, probably will continue to be just on the margins with any continuing player protest measures or actions .
Guess that industrial umpies or what may be an appropriate or independent body to assist with this present impasse [ or type of] should be able to help and do best in terms of resolving any remaining sticking points.
Maybe there are some clear models or arrangements in other high profile sporting codes to try and implement and incorporate which may seem to work well or are practical to the present set up with the national R L comp .
Anything relevant is worth looking at , far from a crisis point at the moment but still on the annoying and even trivial side in quite a few ways .

In other words, the players wouldn't have to be Einsteins to know they were never likely to get a fair chance to get their message across on mainstream media, so they must have known it would always be hard to get fans on board. The actions they've taken so far are probably aimed at putting pressure on NRL via the media and sponsor stakeholders.

They can talk on non-game days. Do you think it is odd in any way that fox or 9 or the telecrap etc etc haven't tried to interview any players on non-game days to get their thoughts on all this?
That's the point!!!!!

They have to interview them on game days. Sure, they're not all articulate but again, the RLPA could nominate those who are to be the only ones available for interview and work with them on short effective statements that can be made.

Game day is live. No edits.

They really need better tactics.

Perhaps, and I am speculating, in those where the players control the fund, the players themselves pay into it by way of volunteer deductions from their pay cheque. In which case control would be reasonable.

They could of course increase the salary cap accordingly ... and hope all the players, like Matterson, tick the box for deductions to be taken out.
Had not thought of that but would assume there would be independent auditors etc as safe guards / could be part of the negotiation

I honestly don't understand the RLPA's approach with the banning of player's talking on game days.

It's the opportunity to have their say ffs!!!!! Otherwise they rely on reporting from SMH (this masthead is owned by Nine), News Ltd and Fox. What agenda do the RLPA think these august media companies might be pushing?

Meanwhile, the Hollywood writers and actors are on strike and all happily grab every opportunity in front of a mic, on twitter, insta, etc, to convincingly put their case. Because of this, I completely understand their whole argument. Unlike that of the RLPA which is so poorly communicated that the vast majority, both here on ST and in the wider community, don't really have a grasp of what they're on about.

Most people will be paying attention when you have a microphone shoved under the panting, sweaty nose of one of your members on game day. Give them the opportunity to speak you twats!!!!!

They can talk on non-game days. Do you think it is odd in any way that fox or 9 or the telecrap etc etc haven't tried to interview any players on non-game days to get their thoughts on all this?
Gutho and Cookie happily talk every week on BSB radio, of course they're getting $$$$$

Has anyone seen the 100 unreasonable changes the NRL has proposed ?

When the players go on strike , everyone will take notice , until then most don’t give a **** !!

But you can bet most of them are highly geared , and addicted to the $$$ so that’s very doubtful.

Newton is an absolute flog

Heard him interviewed on the radio this morning, he should be in dancing with the stars the way he dances around giving any straight answers, and his go to line is “of course you’re going to take the NRLs side” indicating bias to the NRL because the media hosts don’t agree with his plastic answers

He is a lightweight.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8