Please, please Trent... Pick Tom Wright

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Apparently Darcy is still a member of our top 30 because we paid over a certain amount of his freight.@:(

Not disputing what we paid for him, but his name and picture are not on the group apparently identified as the playing group of 30. Perhaps someone else can clarify, but it may be that because he signed elsewhere and is now playing for another team that he is no longer in our 30. It may also explain why Manly are trying to let Hastings transfer to another English club. It may be to give further space in the 30.We still will being paying a proportion of his salary coming from our salary cap, but it may be that he wont be identified as one of the 30.

But like I said that is only the impression I am getting from what I read. Technical Coach may know better. Any comments.

But some truly do rise to the occasion. To me, he looked comfortable in his few minutes on field in the top grade. What on earth do we have to lose?

Now? Nothing. I agree but Bazo thinks he is going about it the way to save his job by playing it safe instead of thwarting a possible disaster. I think we should have upgraded Ando instead of Tom Wright and not wasted our last spot on Hodko and brought up Fainu instead. Right now we need Fainu.

Not disputing what we paid for him, but his name and picture are not on the group apparently identified as the playing group of 30. Perhaps someone else can clarify, but it may be that because he signed elsewhere and is now playing for another team that he is no longer in our 30. It may also explain why Manly are trying to let Hastings transfer to another English club. It may be to give further space in the 30.We still will being paying a proportion of his salary coming from our salary cap, but it may be that he wont be identified as one of the 30.

Smithy confirmed the 30 is full and includes Darcy. He is our best source for that kind of stuff. Moving Hastings apparently wouldn't free up a spot either for the same reason as Darcy, he has been paid over the NRL threshold. I think the reason to move Hastings ASAP is to make him GONE.

But like I said that is only the impression I am getting from what I read. Technical Coach may know better. Any comments.
See this thread for a bit more background

https://silvertails.net/threads/2018-top-30-squad.54364/page-8#post-1032897

I don't think Lussick is in the 30 but pretty sure Mr Plod is, so it's the 29 on the MWSE website plus Plod

There is zero to lose playing T.Wright this weekend, and going foward, especially with Api out.

Give the kid a few weeks, with some quality minutes, and let's see what happens.

See this thread for a bit more background

https://silvertails.net/threads/2018-top-30-squad.54364/page-8#post-1032897

I don't think Lussick is in the 30 but pretty sure Mr Plod is, so it's the 29 on the MWSE website plus Plod

This is where the confusion comes in. Manly has four development players, and they include Anderson and I believe Fainu. But they are above the 30 players already nominated. Now this was explained before but I must admit it confused me. We can only use the players in the 30 unless through injury and I assume other unavailability, we don't have anyone who usually plays in a specified position. At that time as long as we don't exceed the salary cap, we can bring up one of the developmental players into the 30 when other players are unavailable, as long as we pay them the minimum rate for each game they play. Now in terms of Hastings, some would say he's a hooker, and therefore we cant add Fainu to the list. But this is where it is uncertain, because we bought Hastings as a back. No other player in the 30 is identified as a hooker, so does that mean Fainu can be upgraded while Api is injured. Andersons's case is a little more uncertain, but it would be great if we had Fainu, Anderson and perhaps Cust available for first grade. Funa, I believe is already in the 30.

Is Wright the new Parker ?

I need a an U20's highlights video as proof. Then we can beg for him to play 1st grade.

Parker is a solid hard running player, good defence, who does his job and in a year or two might make a fine back rower. Tom Wright is more the instinctive ball player. Has fine evasive skills, very fast, deceptive, good short kicker, fairly good defender. He can do some remarkable things on the football field if given a bit of room, has a real X Factor ability. But tends to go quiet in games. Reminds me of Phil Blake and Johnny Gibbs, not that he is exactly the same, but has that exploding ability to make something out of nothing (but you see it only a few times a game). He's gradually finding his feet in the big league but needs to play first grade to get a sense of what is required of him.

Parker is a solid hard running player, good defence, who does his job and in a year or two might make a fine back rower. Tom Wright is more the instinctive ball player. Has fine evasive skills, very fast, deceptive, good short kicker, fairly good defender. He can do some remarkable things on the football field if given a bit of room, has a real X Factor ability. But tends to go quiet in games. Reminds me of Phil Blake and Johnny Gibbs, not that he is exactly the same, but has that exploding ability to make something out of nothing (but you see it only a few times a game). He's gradually finding his feet in the big league but needs to play first grade to get a sense of what is required of him.

Thanks for the honest hopeful reply. I won't say anymore on the subject because hope springs eternal.

Tom Wright is wasted in the reserves. This year should have been a great opportunity for TB to blood him given the injuries we've had. He may have gone missing sometimes playing for Blacktown but am sure that will change if he is thrown in the spotlight. Just look at the Socceroos as an example, with the young 19 yo Daniel Arzani. He was always considered a bolter for even making the world cup squad, due to age and inexperience. There were some commentators saying that at the very least he should be chosen to get the feel of the atmosphere on the world stage. No one expected him to get any game time even in the friendlies leading up to world cup. Over the weekend he came on as a substitute in friendly against Hungary and on his first touches he scored a goal. Also a cross he put in late in the game led to an own goal by the Hungarians. Everyone knew this kid had the xfactor. You just need a coach with balls to give them a go. It's about time TB grew some and unleash Tom Wright in the big arena.

Please Trent.... pick T Wright ahead of L Brown, because:

1. T Wright is a better player
2. (MOST IMPORTANT REASON) When Baz has chose Brown this year, we have not won a single game. Brown could be a bad curse. When Baz has chosen T Wright to play we have won every game, T Wright is a good luck charm

Lewis "Brayden The Curse Wiliame" Brown doesn't have a nice ring to it lol

I know everyone says that Tom Wright isn't ready for a regular spot in first grade yet. And I get that, playing about one good game in four isn't really that good and not the best way to force the coach to pick him.

But the thing I wonder about is whether or not putting him in first grade would motivate the kid to play more to his potential? Getting a regular spot in first grade might do wonders for his confidence. Look at what its done for Shaun Lane. Playing in the NSW Cup last year, he was so-so really and for the most part only played first grade as an injury replacement. This year he's been given a solid go in first grade, at first from the bench then into the starting side with Siro's injury, and it seems to have done him the world of good as he's finally starting to show what people have seen in him since the juniors.

It could prove to be the same for Tom Wright. But we'll never know unless he's given a chance to play more than 6 minutes off the bench once in a while.

I know everyone says that Tom Wright isn't ready for a regular spot in first grade yet. And I get that, playing about one good game in four isn't really that good and not the best way to force the coach to pick him.

But the thing I wonder about is whether or not putting him in first grade would motivate the kid to play more to his potential? Getting a regular spot in first grade might do wonders for his confidence. Look at what its done for Shaun Lane. Playing in the NSW Cup last year, he was so-so really and for the most part only played first grade as an injury replacement. This year he's been given a solid go in first grade, at first from the bench then into the starting side with Siro's injury, and it seems to have done him the world of good as he's finally starting to show what people have seen in him since the juniors.

It could prove to be the same for Tom Wright. But we'll never know unless he's given a chance to play more than 6 minutes off the bench once in a while.
What we do know is that Trent would prefer to promote and has promoted in the game against the Titans that we lost the last resort Jono Wright . Now every blind freddy and his dog knows what Jono brings to the game . But that's our predictable Trent and he has stamped his predictability in our game plan each week .

Trent Barrett as a coach seems to prefer to play it safe with things rather than chancing his arm.

Well, that's got him nowhere fast hasn't it. We're 26-37 under his coaching.

This season is gone as far as playing Finals is concerned. But we can still salvage something at least from the year. However, we're not going to do that trying to play things safe. And with the club already having told a number of players, including Matty Wright, Jono Wright, Lewis Brown and Frank Winterstein, that they aren't going to be here next year, plus the possibility that we won't be able to afford to keep Brian Kelly, we need to start blooding some of the younger talent like Tom Wright because due to the salary cap situation, regardless of any appeal, we really aren't going to be able to afford many, if any, top liners for 2019.

What we do know is that Trent would prefer to promote and has promoted in the game against the Titans that we lost the last resort Jono Wright . Now every blind freddy and his dog knows what Jono brings to the game . But that's our predictable Trent and he has stamped his predictability in our game plan each week .
Except for the Roosters game but generally agree with your sentiments .

Jono Wright was the travelling emergency for that game in Gladstone and only got a call up about 5 minutes before kick off because Parker was sick. I don't think the Great Wright Hope was even there. Just the luck of the draw.

Jono Wright was the travelling emergency for that game in Gladstone and only got a call up about 5 minutes before kick off because Parker was sick. I don't think the Great Wright Hope was even there. Just the luck of the draw.
The great white hope LOL That's funny !
Tom W was not there because one would think that we wasn't in the coaches plans .

Luckily Trent went M Wright last week and not T Wright, the kid would have been mincemeat after playing 65mins at hooker

I'd like to see more of him a team some point, but think he needs some grounding under him first. What can't be debated though is last week isn't a great scenario for him, as he didn't play any footy which is what he needs to do at the moment

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11