Police to interview Dragons star George Burgess over ‘sexual touching’ allegation

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
JDB..............then Tristan Sailor..........now George Burgess.

St George Illawarra: BBQ gate is old news, now it's the sexual misconduct club.

Sponsors there will be looking over their shoulders very nervously.

Poor culture from poor leadership.

Sexual touching is what used to be called indecent assault.
Not quite. Sexual touching is an absolute nut job, worse than the decisions the bunker makes. If your dating anyone you need to record consent and then get it in writing because the recording could be unlawful.

My mates son who is 26 was going out with his girlfriend of 2 years. Yes they spent time doing the normal things couples do...all the way. Anyway one night staying at friends, after spending the night on the booze they chose to stay at the friends place. Somewhere during the night he started cuddling his girlfriend whilst she was asleep, she even woke up. A friend caught him giving her a rub and then complained about it. Anyway my sons mate got charged and convicted a Sexual touching...2 year good behavior and 100 hours of community service. Now the guy who made the complaint is dating the mates son's girlfriend. If you can work that out your better than me.

Bit hard to get something in writing from a person if they are asleep. Or do you say falling asleep indicates consent?
Look I get that perspective if you go out to a club and pick someone up, I get that if you are dating for a few months, but I think if your in a relationship for a period and you fool around the line gets more confusing. I also get if that was my daughter I'd be a pissed.

I have been married for nearly 20 years and our life is full on, my wife is just plain tied. She suggested if I got home from work and she was asleep and I was a bit randy it was alright. Even though technically she gave consent, 1) how do I prove it? 2) my wife is entitled to change her mind. Of course I wouldn't do that anyway, but I was pointing out how complicated it is.

Everyone is entitled to choice, lets make that clear.

It always gets down to she said/ he said or visa versa. It is which lawyer sells the more believable story and as a result sometimes the truth doesn't matter.

Personally I think the bucket they call Sexual Touching is way too big as the penalties are rather matter of fact. Should a person who says puts his hand another persons bottom get the same penalty as someone who actually sexual assaults someone? It's like in the workplace when someone walks up and puts their hand on another persons shoulder over a cup of coffee. A few years ago if they had that rule then 40% of men would have been convicted.

And by the way in my mates son's case the DNA evidence had multiple DNA present from 2 males, my mates son being only viable and dated, so how were they able to decide who's DNA did the touching and when? As I knew this kid, I feel he got set up and now he has the conviction forever. But at the end of the day there were 3 people in the room and we weren't there.

Interestingly whilst we target our frustration at footballers for being self absorbed megalomaniacs, I would suggest that the NRL would have had no more than 20 cases of domestic violence, sexual touching cases in the past 4 -5 years. It happens there are about 15 cases a week for this in Parramatta District Court. So it's not just a NRL problem it a problem that society has. Look how much of goes on in our Governments around the country?

Given that my rant has nothing to do about the specific incidence with Burgess as none of us know what he has allegedly done, if he is truly guilty then he needs to pay the price.

Sorry about the long winded response mate.

He's now been charged.

St George Illawarra Dragons forward George Burgess has been charged with sexually touching another person without consent and will face court next month.

The big Englishman fronted media on Monday morning before police ordered him to be interviewed over the incident, which is alleged to have occurred in Sydney earlier this month.

He told the Dragons he would deny the allegations and was then arrested at 4.40pm at Mascot Police Station.

NSW Police released a holding statement on Monday night, which said: “A man has been charged over an alleged sexual touching earlier this month.

“Earlier this month, officers from South Sydney Police Area Command commenced an investigation following reports a woman had been sexually touched by a man known to her on Tuesday 8 March 2022.

“Following inquiries, a 29-year-old man was arrested at Mascot Police Station about 4.40pm today (Monday 21 March 2022).

“He was charged with sexually touch another person without consent and granted conditional bail to appear at Downing Centre Local Court on Wednesday 13 April 2022.”

The Herald contacted Burgess for comment during the day. His England-based manager Chris Caisley could also not be reached for comment.

The NRL and the Dragons were caught completely off guard by the allegations when notified on Monday, prompting St George Illawarra to release a statement which read: “The St George Illawarra Dragons have been made aware of a matter involving one of its players by the NRL integrity unit.

“The Dragons are working closely with all parties, as the matter is under police investigation. The Dragons will be making no further comment at this stage.”

Burgess, who won the 2014 South Sydney premiership with brothers Sam and Tom, is due to play in the Dragons’ local derby against Cronulla at Wollongong’s WIN Stadium on Thursday night.

He expressed his delight at returning to the NRL after an almost three-year absence and the excitement at the prospect of a first clash wearing the Red V against bitter rivals Cronulla.

According to sources, Burgess professed his innocence before being interviewed by police. He is the father of three children with wife, Joanna.

Dragons coach Anthony Griffin declined to comment on whether Burgess would be selected for the match on Thursday night. St George Illawarra will announce a 24-man squad on Tuesday.

NRL clubs are bound to report integrity matters involving their players once they become aware of them, but St George Illawarra officials were told of the police interest in Burgess by the code’s integrity unit.

The alleged incident happened only two days before the start of the NRL season opener between the Panthers and Sea Eagles. Burgess’ first match was a NSW Cup fixture a couple of days later before his round two call-up to the NRL. The Dragons did not train the day in question.

Burgess, who resides in Wollongong, made his Dragons debut last weekend after being handed an NRL lifeline by the club on a cut-price deal and following major hip resurfacing surgery, which threatened his career. He became the first league player in the world to return from the major hip procedure.

The Dragons stood by former State of Origin player Jack de Belin through his high-profile sexual assault trial before two juries failed to reach a verdict on five of the six charges against him, and found him not guilty of the sixth.

De Belin was sidelined from the NRL for more than two years under the NRL’s no-fault stand-down policy before being cleared to return to the field last year after his criminal proceedings had finished.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8