Poll added - Sea Eagles Everyone in League jersey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

how does this play out?

• the religious 7 ride into the sunset and never play for Manly again

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • the religious 7 are all reinstated next week with no hard feelings

Votes: 132 69.1%
  • Vlandys goes ahead with his Pride Round next year

Votes: 36 18.8%
  • Manly use the Everyone in League jersey forever more

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • one or 2 of the 7 are sacked as ringleaders

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • all or most accept some enlightenment on the issue and will wear the jersey in future

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • Manly never mention Everyone in League again...

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • Several players sek immediate release from Manly

Votes: 23 12.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For me this jersey change was a marketing cash grab; not about inclusivity.
What's next; a green jersey to promote climate change? A Teal jersey to support a political party?
Haven't we got too many jerseys already? We have an Indigenous one. We have a Retro one. We had a black one to support a gambling sponsor. A few years back we had a jersey to promote a movie!
Apparently the marketing 'gurus' didn't inform the players of this latest version. IMO the club is totally to blame for putting potential merchandising revenue ahead of what players, and supporters like me want. And that is to play in our traditional maroon and white non-politicalised jersey.
I actually think we did a green jersey a few years back around climate stuff! Hilarious. You also forgot Anzac jersey, pink women's jersey, community jersey. Could be more.

Ok, at the end of the day, does this pass the pub test?

If you said at the pub that almost 50% of a starting nrl side refused to play when their team is fighting for survival due to the implications of them wearing rainbows on their shirt....what is the response you'd think to get? Lol
As soon as someone formulates a response with "at the end of the day" it usually means that person is not really open for debate or discussion and made up their mind.

I am a proud gay man and have loved Manly since I was a kid.

The initiative from the club is a good one, not consulting the playing group is another example of the dysfunction at the head of the club.

We have a season defining game where focus and attention is vital now sidetracked by the players who choose not to play.

We need to be together as a club and respectful of peoples rights and beliefs.

Every year St Kilda and the Sydney swans wear a pride jersey and it's a well respected event. Im disappointed that what should be a positive message is now soured and tainted.

Growing up on the northern beaches in the 80s, I got a taste of feeling excluded as being gay at the time was against the public narrative.

Fortunately we live in a more tolerant world and one of our greatest players , Ian Roberts explains in his book how tough life was back then for a gay kid.

The 7 players who allegedly have decided not to participate in this game due to wearing a jersey to support this initiative, it might be a suggestion to read his book.

Oh well it's a shame that our club again deals with this and splits the playing group at a time when they need to pull together!!

Whatever happens I love this club abd the guys who pull on the maroon and white regardless of their skin colour, race, religion or sexuality!

Aren't we all Sea Eagles?

GO MANLY!!
Sexuality is nothing to be proud about, that is half the issue.

Only have to look at the Dragons last season after their infamous BBQ to see how something like this can derail a season.This could be curtains for the season and I worry about Thursday night

As soon as someone formulates a response with "at the end of the day" it usually means that person is not really open for debate or discussion and made up their mind.
I just think it's a ridiculous situation.

I don't agree with how management approached this. Sounds a bit underhanded if it was sprung on them.

I do find it hypocritical that they are fine with running on a field named after alcohol on a Sunday while wearing a jersey with sponsorship on it from gambling.

I can understand their point of religious freedom, but whether or not the jersey has rainbows on it, the club has gone out and said they support inclusiveness. So whether it has rainbows or not, they are wearing a jersey that promotes inclusiveness. Rainbows don't change this.

Again, I don't understand the rationale of how 1 jersey is fine but another isn't in this circumstance.

As an aside with 7 players having say an average of two kids there is a fair chance that at least one of their children will be gay.

If their parents (to be confirmed, media speculation at this point etc) can not even wear a jersey for 80 minutes how will they go parenting a gay child?

That is more directed at the players than on here. I will say it for the last time - I can not believe in the year 2022 that something like this is an issue
2022. Why is it different to 2017 or 1984 or 1975? Some people's value don't change, believe it or not. Times change and we move with them - tempora mutantur (yes I looked that up!). But we keep lots of old values because we think they're right. The last 60 years have brought huge cultural changes in the West. We generally accept lots of changes but keep some old ones. They come from a culture that upholds all the old values. But their younger people will challenge those views more and more.

I feel sorry for these guys. They are and will cop a relentless media bollocking in the next few days that will be quite hateful. They signed up to play footy, not to be pawns in a PR media game.

I don't agree with how management approached this. Sounds a bit underhanded if it was sprung on them.

I do find it hypocritical that they are fine with running on a field named after alcohol on a Sunday while wearing a jersey with sponsorship on it from gambling.

I can understand their point of religious freedom, but whether or not the jersey has rainbows on it, the club has gone out and said they support inclusiveness. So whether it has rainbows or not, they are wearing a jersey that promotes inclusiveness. Rainbows don't change this.

Again, I don't understand the rationale of how 1 jersey is fine but another isn't in this circumstance.
Which is why this is not a single game issue... these players have made it clear that their beliefs do not align with the values of the club... so, unless the club is prepared to crab-walk away from those values, these blokes do not have a future at Manly...

One comes across as agenda promoting(a bigger picture perspective) the other is just a corporation advertising themselves for greed, both are negatives but to some one has bigger implications.

2022. Why is it different to 2017 or 1984 or 1975? Some people's value don't change, believe it or not. Times change and we move with them - tempora mutantur (yes I looked that up!). But we keep lots of old values because we think they're right. The last 60 years have brought huge cultural changes in the West. We generally accept lots of changes but keep some old ones. They come from a culture that upholds all the old values. But their younger people will challenge those views more and more.

I feel sorry for these guys. They are and will cop a relentless media bollocking in the next few days that will be quite hateful. They signed up to play footy, not to be pawns in a PR media game.
I like change when it is for the better. Much like how we used to treat indigenous people, women, migrants to name a few.

As a manly fan we put up with a fair bit.

I have supported every player through some accusations and even convictions - if there are 7 players who are, in 2022, so closed minded that they can understand why this would be of importance to the gay / q community then it might actually be the first thing that makes me question my support of this team.

I would struggle to support a team that condones gambling, drinking but condems a lifestyle which

1. People can not choose
2. Has no material impact over their life

Lets hope this is another beat up as what should have been a proud day for the club has descended into farce
As a manly fan we put up with a fair bit.

I have supported every player through some accusations and even convictions - if there are 7 players who are, in 2022, so closed minded that they can understand why this would be of importance to the gay / q community then it might actually be the first thing that makes me question my support of this team.

I would struggle to support a team that condones gambling, drinking but condems a lifestyle which

1. People can not choose
2. Has no material impact over their life

Lets hope this is another beat up as what should have been a proud day for the club has descended into farce
Absolutely mate..tbh this makes me see these 7 blokes a little differently now. I mean I’ll get over it and still cheer for them but I’m definitely disappointed by their closed mindedness.
I don’t see eye to eye with their religious beliefs but I certainly don’t hold that against them. You’d just like to think they’d offer the same respect to others..

How did or could it come to this debacle type situation now . Poor management and consultation but must be some way of resolving it . Can't the players with the objections just be encouraged or urged to make some type of a joint or collective [ inclusive ] public statement [ or for the public record and a position citing that they do have some serious and possibly genuine concerns and reservations wearing the jersey emblem or theme reference . and wearing the jersey does not reflect their own views in particular but for their team mates and club "s sake and interests are still prepared to play . maybe a bit simplistic but surely something is worth trying , still respecting the beliefs or whatever of the respective players but putting their club and team mates first again . just should not have come to this , must be some middle and sensible ground somewhere with out derailing the and their season . .
Well said and I agree it's poor management and consultation and should not have come to this. Surely some middle and sensible ground could be found, especially when our season's on the line. Why can't the 'stood down' players wear our normal Manly jersey? Give the players the choice, keep the team together, get back to playing footy and save our season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 5 5 -56 12