PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Dragons v Manly [Round 3, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mataiforever

Bencher

Injury toll - who steps up? Team v Dragons.​

Current toll (please add if i've missed someone):
Tommy
Siro
Davey
Fainu
Cust (concussion - back next week? probably not...)
Lawton
Taufua

Who else?

Croker probs 80 mins next week which is tough. Parker to 2nd row it looks like. Schuster in there somewhere - sounded like Des will be moving Walker to centre in the presser which I'd assume Harper to 1 (although I'd like Koula somewhere in there).

Team v Dragons?
1. Harper 2. Saab 3. Walker 4. Suli 5. Garrick 6. Foran 7. DCE 8. Paseka 9. Croker 10. Taupau 11. Gosiewski 12. Parker 13. Trbojevic
14. Schuster 15. Keppie 16. Paseka 17. ??? Someone to come up from Blacktown?

Who gets the promotion? Sipley, or surely a second rower? Would be great to see Zac Saddler off the bench.

Last edited by a moderator:
Promote Saddler to that bench spot. I would love sipley but having three prop forwards on our bench is risky. Best thing to do with Schuster as utility, is have him come in at lock after 30-40 minutes and work his magic as a third playmaker. He can go lock and push Jake to prop. Walker needs to stay at centre and not go anywhere else. What's the deal with Cust though, he'll be right for next week no?

Tommy
Siro
Davey
Fainu
Lawton
Taufua

Who else?

Croker probs 80 mins next week which is tough. Parker to 2nd row it looks like. Schuster in there somewhere - sounded like Des will be moving Walker to centre in the presser which I'd assume Harper to 1 (although I'd like Koula somewhere in there).

Team v Dragons?
1. Harper 2. Saab 3. Walker 4. Suli 5. Garrick 6. Foran 7. DCE 8. Paseka 9. Croker 10. Taupau 11. Gosiewski 12. Parker 13. Trbojevic

Who gets the promotion? Sipley, or surely a second rower? Would be great to see Zac Saddler off the bench.
Neither it’s Aloai’s spot

1. HARPER
2. SAAB
3. SCHUSTER
4. WALKER
5. SULI
6. FORAN
7. CHERRY-EVANS
8. TAUPAU
9. CROKER
10. PASEKA
11. ALOIAI
12. GOSIEWSKI
13. TRBOJEVIC
14. CUST
15. KEPPIE
16. PARKER
17. SADDLER / SIPLEY

Funa
Saab
Walker
Suli
Garrick
Foz
DCE
Paseka
Croker
Tapau
Parker
GoJetski
Jake

Shuster
Aloia
Keppie
Toff

I think this will be the team. Cust for Toff if he passes HIA and Shuster will relieve an edge.
Sign if the times I guess, but how many of those players would be capable of making our 2011 side?

My team for next week. Speed kills.

Koula
Saab
Walker
Harper
Garrick or Tuipulotu
Foz
DCE
Paseka
Cust
Aloia
Jake
GoJetski
Schuster

Parker
Tapau
Keppie
Sipley

Parker in the 2nd row has to be a early April Fool’s joke.
How many concussions playing centre - he will last 5 sec in the forwards !!
boyd cordner gets concussed heaps... doesn't mean he shouldn't be in the pack

parker has nil attributes of the modern day back - no speed, no passing game.
he has the attributes of a back rower - runs a strong line, great in defence, aims up hard.

yes he's small but if he bulked up he'd be a better 2row fill in off the bench than a centre long term IMO

boyd cordner gets concussed heaps... doesn't mean he shouldn't be in the pack

parker has nil attributes of the modern day back - no speed, no passing game.
he has the attributes of a back rower - runs a strong line, great in defence, aims up hard.

yes he's small but if he bulked up he'd be a better 2row fill in off the bench than a centre long term IMO
Well he’s not a back we all know that. May as well give him a shot he may even surprise a few. I’m not at all against this option. Plus it’s Not like we have a lot of other options.

For better or worse, this is how I would go.....

Harper, Saab, Walker, Suli, Garrick, Foran, Cherry-Evans, Paseka, Croker, Taupau, Gosiewski, Parker, Trbojevic. Bench - Cust, Schuster, Aloiai, Keppie

I don't really like the idea of Parker in the back row, but in reality its only moving one position in and the amount of defense just on the edge wouldn't be a whole lot different. At centre he still has back rowers running at him so not much difference IMO. I know some would like to see Schuster there, but I think right now he should be coming off the bench.

Funny, as just a back rower, Parker would actually have some pace for the position.

Saddler can't actually be promoted just yet as he's on a development contract which means that unless we apply for and get an exemption a-la the Chooks and Suaalii, he can't be used in first grade until at least mid-season.

Tommy
Siro
Davey
Fainu
Lawton
Taufua

Who else?

Team v Dragons?

I don't think Foran will play. One of his legs was taped from mid thigh to mid calf yesterday and he was limping on it and defened on the wing all game, but maybe he's struggle on.

I think Schuster will start and it's time for the failed experiment of Walker at FB should end. Parker to back row walks to centre and Funa or Harper to FB.

And someone to come in for Davey, obviously.

we should see if we could get that 'on loan' system the warriors got last year due to covid.

or

we should ask if uncle nick can get us that 'on loan' system.

For better or worse, this is how I would go.....

Harper, Saab, Walker, Suli, Garrick, Foran, Cherry-Evans, Paseka, Croker, Taupau, Gosiewski, Parker, Trbojevic. Bench - Cust, Schuster, Aloiai, Keppie

I don't really like the idea of Parker in the back row, but in reality its only moving one position in and the amount of defense just on the edge wouldn't be a whole lot different. At centre he still has back rowers running at him so not much difference IMO. I know some would like to see Schuster there, but I think right now he should be coming off the bench.

Funny, as just a back rower, Parker would actually have some pace for the position.

Saddler can't actually be promoted just yet as he's on a development contract which means that unless we apply for and get an exemption a-la the Chooks and Suaalii, he can't be used in first grade until at least mid-season.
That's a good team! I reckon you are 100% on the money and as a whole probably looks our best side all year

I don't think Foran will play. One of his legs was taped from mid thigh to mid calf yesterday and he was limping on it and defened on the wing all game, but maybe he's struggle on.

I think Schuster will start and it's time for the failed experiment of Walker at FB should end. Parker to back row walks to centre and Funa or Harper to FB.

And someone to come in for Davey, obviously.
idk people calling the walker experiment to end aren't realising the fact that no other alternatives have chemistry with the team. In midfield / edge attack walker links up the best with 6 7 9 and 13 than say harper, funa etc who have hardly player with these boys in top grade. Funa at least has some experience with them.

i'd also like to leave walker there as I really want to see tolu koula given a go and he won't be given one at fullback, likely centre or wing.

That's a good team! I reckon you are 100% on the money and as a whole probably looks our best side all year

And the sad thing is that at least 3, maybe 4 of that team I put up would probably not make our overall best 17 if not for injuries.

Des mentioning about Walker playing centre is why its got me wondering if he meant playing Harper or Funa at fullback, or was he hinting at a possible return next week for Tom? There were reports out of the Manly camp this week that Turbo is running freely again so who knows, maybe he'll be on the extended bench on Tuesday, and if he is I'd put my house on him playing.

01. Morgan Harper
02. Jason Saab
03. Dylan Walker
04. Moses Suli
05. Reuben Garrick or Christian Tuipulotu
06. Josh Schuster
07. Kieran Foran or Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Marty Taupau
09. Cade Cust
10. Taniela Paseka
11. Josh Aloiai or Marty Taupau
12. Jack Gosiewski