PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Penrith v Manly [Round 8, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I have a dream ... that one day someone with squillions buys a club ... and the minute the draw is released .. he goes to the courts and gains an injunction on the NRL ... and demands that all teams have the same opportunity ...

When teams don't play exactly the same teams as other teams, short turn arounds, some teams playing at the same time every week so they get into a rhythm while other teams play from 2pm til 8pm etc etc ...
.... and all teams get an even share of free-to-air on Channel Nein.
It is humiliating for the NRL to show the worst team in the comp every week on prime time TV. How is the sport supposed to showcase its attributes when it has shown the Donkeys' pathetic displays for the past 20 matches.

Panthers are red hot at the moment, we have been playing well and have a few wins on the trot but look at the opposition we have faced in comparison... I dont think we can win but that really isnt the point, we were belted by 40 points a month ago, now we will truly see how much we have/have not improved against best team in the comp by a country mile.

I am not being negative, I am simply being realistic. I wont be disappointed with a loss at all so long as we have a go and not get belted the same way we did a month ago. I honestly believe if we loose 1-12 the team will take so much confidence out of that which will hold us in good stead towards the end of the season when the wins really count.

3 weeks ago we were $86 to win the premiership, this week we are in to $26. If we pull off an upset this week* we will be into $13 or thereabouts. For anyone who likes a punt this could be your last chance to get on at value. *Disclaimer: 0 chickens were counted in the writing of this post. Gamble Responsibly.

The Panthers are red hot because they have hot players across the park

Hot players who defend well and can put up the heat in attack from every position in the back like

No deficiencies in the Panthers. All are super fast and super safe in defence

So how do we beat them ?

We can beat them if we resiliently defend long enough to frustrate them and put them off their game and let Tommy do the rest :)

A hard fought loss can only be a lesson on how to overcome the other hot title contenders that we play.

They are definitely beatable. The Broncs were the better side and should have beaten them a couple of weeks ago.
They are beatable . Every team is
Against the Broncos I thought they were also complacent but when it mattered to win the game they had their game breakers to do so

Panthers although a talented side, are not as intimidating as past dominant teams, they give the impression it they could go the other way if teams start troubling them and their confidence starts to break down along with some egos. They have been very fortunate and the team to have adapted and benefited from he rule changes the quickest with their roster compared to others geared the other way like us. They have shown signs of cracks the past couple of weeks and are ripe for the picking, hopefully by us. I think this team needs a well earned grinding victory to steel them for the rest of the season, this could be a turning point match for us with that sort of win and show us where we are really at.

Every loss should be a a lesson and we need to learn form this heavy loss a few weeks ago

3 weeks ago we were $86 to win the premiership, this week we are in to $26. If we pull off an upset this week* we will be into $13 or thereabouts. For anyone who likes a punt this could be your last chance to get on at value. *Disclaimer: 0 chickens were counted in the writing of this post. Gamble Responsibly.
with those figures and that concise argument its going to be very hard to gamble responsibly ,but I 'll try!! .

To'o is the key to them getting on the front foot. He is a beast on 2nd/3rd hitup coming out of their end. Broncos nullified him as much as possible by bombing to him and limiting his effectiveness out of the backfield. Staines and Edwards are much easier to handle on 2nd and 3rd hitups
I like the tactic we used against the Titans, bomb go the right edge (Staines in this scenario) to make the left edge work to get the ball early(To’o) and limit Kikau the same way as Fifita.

The Panthers are red hot because they have hot players across the park

Hot players who defend well and can put up the heat in attack from every position in the back like

No deficiencies in the Panthers. All are super fast and super safe in defence

So how do we beat them ?

We can beat them if we resiliently defend long enough to frustrate them and put them off their game and let Tommy do the rest :)

A hard fought loss can only be a lesson on how to overcome the other hot title contenders that we play.
The best defense is to attack. Attack them with and without the ball. We have to have 85% + completions and starve them of field position. Kick, kick, kick and smother the chin every time he gets it.

Have a quiet confidence about this game, but won't be disappointed if we lose so long as our game doesn't regress.

As fantastic as the win against the Tigers felt, the stats show:
  • Our completions were still not where they need to be (33/45 or 73%)
  • Our play-the-ball speed was over 4-secs (way too slow against a rampant and fit Panthers outfit who have conceded less than 7-pts per game on average)
  • Kick defusals need improvement (67% - will be problematic against a more effective halves pairing of Luai/Cleary who have a superior kicking game)
  • We missed 16 tackles and made a further 15 ineffective (which Kikau/Yeo/Martin and their entire backline will punish)
There were some great moments in that Tigers game - those breaks from Turbo were sublime, however they were through a glaring weakness I posted in the pre-game Tigers thread (their weak D in their Centres). There are not the same chinks in the Panthers armor, their Def is simply outstanding, they have had less than half the next nearest team Pts Against scored against them.

The Panthers will not be complacent - pretty sure the last 2 weeks especially and the amazing FA repair work we have done (76-6 in 2 weeks) will have teams acknowledging we aren't the easy-beats we were in March and that they need to aim up to beat us. However they haven't been tested since Rd 3 against the Storm - who were understrength themselves (Panthers were without Cleary admittedly).

We are not full strength, but are arguably playing better than our on-paper full-strength team. We are a definite chance.

There is some pride to recapture for the Manly team - pretty sure they have the motivation to fire up after that loss at home to the Panthers. They just need to play smart, do their homework on things like:
  • Targeting To'o with kicks - he is a beast at 2nd/3rd runs out of their half a identified earlier - 300+ meters against the Knights
  • Running boppers at Kikau and tiring him out - he is a big liability in Def when he is tired, and prone to going high when gassed as well (penalties)
  • Rush up on Burton & Staines a bit, who have an error or two in them
  • Adopting a similar strategy of containment not just for Kikau but for Capewell too - danger is forgetting how good Capewell is and just tunnel-visioning obvious threat Kikau
  • Slowing down Luai's play-the-ball speed when he makes runs, he gets them on the front foot a lot (wrestlefk the bugger a bit)
Panthers have a super well-rounded team, we will have to exploit any errors they make and keep our errors to a minimum. We need repeat sets, early and often. We need an 80%+ completion rate, and to protect Tommy and our halves. If we exhibit the Def we have over the last couple of weeks with our straight-line intact, and are mindful of their offloading ability and shut-down their 2nd phase play that breaks the line and eats easy meters, then we won't have a cricket score put on us like last time.

The Panthers will race out of the blocks with an up-tempo game and look to gas us early, likely getting help from the refs in the process with 6-agains, so we need a top notch bench strategy.

Panthers are used to leading/winning and if we ruffle them, we can definitely beat them - will be an amazing achievement if we do.
Go Manly!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8