Premiership contenders

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It really depends on how long the combinations take to set in. We have so many new players that it may take some time for them all to gel together.

Honestly combinations shouldn't take that long . The only player missing from our backline is Foran . The forwards myles etc is experienced so they will just slide into it . Same goes for lussick he just rolls forward without much of an off load so I can't get into the gel thing for to long . The pre season will get some rhythm .

Honestly combinations shouldn't take that long . The only player missing from our backline is Foran . The forwards myles etc is experienced so they will just slide into it . Same goes for lussick he just rolls forward without much of an off load so I can't get into the gel thing for to long . The pre season will get some rhythm .
Watch for Lussick (and others) to develop an offload under Cartwright. New skills can take some time to stick.

Expect them to be competitive early, and develop new skills and combinations as the season progresses.

Watch for Lussick (and others) to develop an offload under Cartwright. New skills can take some time to stick.

Expect them to be competitive early, and develop new skills and combinations as the season progresses.
Couldn't agree more . There likely to come out and smoke sides early . Toovey sorry barrett and Co will have them ready , a bit of fine tuning here and there but they will be ready . Imo.

For what its worth, here is my take on things.....

Brisbane - Haven't really lost anyone significant and will be hungry after losing the GF. Their usual favourable draw helps.

Canterbury-Bankstown - I don't see much improvement for Des' men. The changes to the interchange will hurt their bigger forwards and losing Hodkinson who was also their goal kicker won't help.

Canberra - Middle of the road. There is definite room for improvement, but since the mid-90's the Raiders have had a bad habit of promising much and delivering little.

Cronulla - Rumours that 2016 will be Gallen's last year might just help their cause. The NRL seem to like fairytale finishes and they do love their NSW captain. Should make the finals but on talent I don't think they can win the premiership, they might need some referee help.

Gold Coast - Looks set for another bottom 4 finish.

Manly Warringah - Big changes to the forwards should be for the better, whether the coaching change is for the better remains to be seen. Pretty much the same backline as before, but outside of Tommy and Snake we lack pace in the backs. Unfortunately there isn't much cover in the backs if we get hit with 2015-like injuries. If things go well a definite top 4 finisher.

Melbourne - Starting their slide. If Smith, Cronk and Slater can remain healthy they are a chance to play finals again. Outside of them though I don't know if they have the talent to go all the way.

Newcastle - Getting Hodkinson will help, but again I think they'll be a bottom 4 team.

New Zealand - Gaining RTS and Luke is a big bonus for them. But really, outside of them, Johnson and Mannering they are a bit light on IMO. Should make the finals and as always with the Warriors, anything is possible if that happens.

North Queensland - Going back to back is almost impossible these days. They can win it again, but will they have the hunger? Definite top 4 chance and will play finals, but a second premiership will rely on Thurston retaining his "Best player in the world" form.

Parramatta - Will Foran be the next Sterling? He's good, but not that good. And he can't do it all by himself. Have also gained Michael Gordon and Gutho. 50/50 on making the finals though all of us here are probably praying they finish with the spoon.

Penrith - I can't see Hook being better than Cleary. He couldn't get it done in Brisbane with all the advantages in the world and I don't think he will be any better with the Riff. They are going to struggle to make the top 8.

South Sydney - Will probably have Sam Burgess, but they have had to let a few go to fit him under the cap. Should play finals, but doubtful as true premiership contenders.

St George Illawarra - Will need to improve if they are going to play finals again this year. Bottom 8 for mine.

Sydney Roosters - Losing RTS will hurt, as will losing Maloney. Do they have a goal kicker now that Maloney is a Shark? Can see them making the 8, but that's about it.

Wests Tigers - Sadly for Matt Ballin, the Tigers are a bottom 4 side at best. Tedesco, Moses and Brooks will have flashes of brilliance, but it'll be few and far between.

Without Foran organising the left and acting like a half when the ball shifts right may mean things are not going to run as smoothly as the past.
Foran became unpopular in these parts and therefore he doesn't attract much praise any more, but I suspect many are underestimating the effects of his loss, in both attack and defence. Hopefully his replacement doesn't take too long to settle into the role.

They had horse and coaches.

They were handsom(e)s back then not coaches. Mind you I'm not sure that applies to Arthur. He did however look fairly spiffy in his photo didnt he. I wonder if he coached in that suit

And it wasn't unusual to see a horse with a sulky behind.

A horse with a sulky behind.......

HorseandSulky.jpg

Everything is in Brisbane's favour to win the comp.
Can you imagine an opposition club opting to play a home match at Brookvale Oval. Yet this is what we, and other clubs, are doing, furthering the already lopsided advantage the Boncos have.
This comp is about as fair as a FIFA ballot.

I think Foran may surprise. He often swapped with DCE at half so he knows what to expect, and controlling the play is his game. With Gutherson, Gordon added to the back line with Radradra and Corey Norman, they have the makings of a pretty decent backline especially if they can hold Hopoate or grab Hiku. No I wouldnt under-estimate that side. Depends on the forwards to hold the line.

I'll ****ing spew of the Eels do well, my bestest mate ( since we were 5) is a Parramatta Sea Eels fan, and he will drive it in real deep if they were to make top 8 or 4 and we missed out.

So please if there's a god or anyone up there !!!!

The Speels do have the makings of a decent backline, but their forwards.......Choc and Mannah are past it. They've lost Lussick and gained Hasson. And the rest aren't really anything to write home about. A few promising youngsters and some journeymen.

Despite the injuries, what we showed this year is that even the best backline in the competition can only do so much behind a beaten pack.

Last edited:
Foran became unpopular in these parts and therefore he doesn't attract much praise any more, but I suspect many are underestimating the effects of his loss, in both attack and defence. Hopefully his replacement doesn't take too long to settle into the role.
I do agree his attitude was not the greatest but it has been over-stated and stretched longer than it really was an issue.
The guy was playing injured big time and conserving himself to prolong his career along with trying to stay on the field doing what he is mostly paid for and that is "being a 5/8 not an inspirational big hitting defender on forwards twice his size"

If Foran continued to play like he did from 09-2013 he would of been off the field more often than not, fans seem to not want to look at the bigger picture.

Have not seen the new recruits in action so we might be ok for all i know, but on the surface for now Foran is a big loss to the attacking potency and crispness of the left(i can see Matai struggling not due to injury but missing Forans presence) and freeing up the pressures on DCE who has had it real easy just basing himself on the right for the most part.

If our go forward punch is effective and consistent DCE can play more central both sides off the back of this and do really well, if our go forward effectiveness is poor and slow DCE will have a terrible year.

I'm pretty confident we will have a forward pack that will do plenty of damage. Jake with a full year under his belt, the experience of Myles, the size and aggression of Tapau and Lussick, the emergence of Knight and Fonau-Blake as potential inclusions during the year (chomping at the bit for game time).

We also have the 'new vibe' around the club of a fresh start and that success is a must; add to that the additional speed we have in Tom T, Dylan Walker and Matt Parcell (who is lightening quick) and I think we will make plenty of metres.

I think the key is Korisou and Parcell working up a combination with DCE - knowing when to get him the ball and when to do their own thing. If they can get on top of that early it will go a long way towards us finding some rhythm in attack.

Last edited:
In a funny sort of way I'm bloody pleased Foran has gone ,reason being if he stayed on the money we were going to pay him there is no way that we would of been able to build this juggernaut of 16 and beyond. Walker will fit in nicely on a third of the money.

Does anyone think a big problem with Foran going is the added pressure it puts on DCE. Some felt he was trying too hard last year and he will be under more pressure next season. Maybe why TB was keen on Killer at 5/8.

Mate I think he will go to another level in 16 . He has a license to roam and whoever we get to play 6 he will still be calling the shots . Let's not forget the platform the forwards will lay for him . That's why thurston is so good because he always plays behind a solid pack and he gets so much time something dce didn't get last season.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4