Raiders looking at Gutherson

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
dowdz said:
The problem with trying to keep our juniors is, how long are they willing to wait on the lower grades, when all our senior players are extending their contracts.

I thought Jake T would of been in first grade this year.

I would hope that Jake at least sees a little first grade this year as well dowds.

He showed plenty against the Riff last year and front row isn't our strongest position. Hopefully he sees that his chance isn't too far away and stays put.

He's way too good for NSW Cup.

They would be mad to leave at this point in their careers. Thrown to the wolves (and Ricky) at Canberra, careers down toilet.

Our ageing roster are good enough to win another premiership, but they won't be there forever. Our youth origin stars have long careers mapped out at manly if they stay.

Nah @Jerry1, he looks better every time I see him - which ain't often enough.

He'll be a competent 1st grader, just how good remains to be seen.

I think a lot of clubs ''look'' at a lot of our players, including the green-machine Faders...

GREEN with envy the lot of em!!

We certainly have some talent in the backs coming through with Hiku, Gutho, Tom T and Charlie Taylor all touted for bigger things. Who knows we may keep a few..

RiverEagle said:
These quality kids are not a dime a dozen and, whilst I wouldn't pay way overs, I would look after them, and back their talent AND judgement in!

Here's hoping.

And looking after them is?.....paying overs for players that aren't ready for the weekly grind of NRL.

Do we pay overs for our (potentially) future stars or pay overs to keep our (proven) current international stars?

For every "future" star there is a couple of regular Joe's that become more than competent NRL players and make a career out of it.

Don't get me wrong, from what I've seen Jake, Gutho and Tom need to be looked after but aren't week in, week out first graders yet and I hope they realise that too.
No use getting a motza to bust your gut in a team that has no heart - the fans let you know who they expect to do the business even if you're in an average team.

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere on here that Jake signed a 3 year deal on reasonable $$ but was somewhat disappointed that he wasn't as far up the pecking order as he'd hoped. Bide your time and if you're as good as everyone says then you'll make the big $$ on your next deal and the one after that and the one after that.

StuBoot said:
Wasn't it mentioned somewhere on here that Jake signed a 3 year deal on reasonable $$ but was somewhat disappointed that he wasn't as far up the pecking order as he'd hoped
Chinese whispers, a classic parlour game that is a perennial favourite.

The main risk to us losing someone like Gutherson would be due to his concern about getting a chance and a regular spot in 1st grade. Plenty in front of him.

Garts said:
The main risk to us losing someone like Gutherson would be due to his concern about getting a chance and a regular spot in 1st grade. Plenty in front of him.

Yep, young kids aren't prepared to wait 2-3 years in reserve grade even if it might be better for their careers. They'll take the first grade opportunity almost no matter where it is.

Some will, some won't I reckon @Masked Eagle.
And we've handpicked young, potential ''future stars'', such as Chee Kam from them (the Raiders), ourselves...... So we can hardly cry foul if other clubs in turn circle our kids.

My point was better heads than mine, including Tooves, work out who we want to keep and what they're worth.
If they choose to go elsewhere, for more money or opportunity in their eyes, then so be it.

A few points worth noting. Some have said we take from other clubs so we should expect it when others take ours. In a fair world where junior resources are equal, that is justified and the reality is it works that way. But Manly has a far smaller demographic than Parramatta and Canberra and therefore far fewer juniors to choose from. Some clubs have a glut of talent and that's why they lose so many juniors to other clubs. Manly doesn't. Therefore, when a Gutherson or Trbojevic comes along, Manly need to be especially diligent in holding onto them. We don't have the luxury of picking and choosing from our junior ranks unless we have imported.

Further, regarding the Telegraph item suggested Hiku will be Manly's future full back. Obviously the writer knows little about Manly's juniors. Hiku is destined for the centre and will probably replace Lyon when he calls it a day. Gutherson will be initially full back when Stewart retires, but will also probably move to the centre when young Trbojevic comes of age. I suspect Manly's future backline in a couple of years, if they can keep them, will be;

Trbojevic
Taufua
Gutherson
Hiku
?
Foran
Cherry-Evans

Gutherson plays like Brett Stewart as a second 5/8 and could be very effective inside Taufua.

17 May 2014 Manly Daily Jon Geddes
Raiders warned to keep hands off

THE Sea Eagles have sent a clear message to the Canberra Raiders that they have a fight on their hands if they hope to lure outstanding young fullback Clinton Gutherson away from Narrabeen.

It was revealed yesterday that the Sea Eagles local junior was set to be targeted by the Raiders if they are unsuccessful in signing Wests Tigers fullback James Tedesco.

Gutherson was a member of the NSW under-20s side that recently beat Queensland and is under contract until the end of 2015.

One of his teammates in that baby Blues side was impressive young prop Jake Trbojevic, another product of the Sea Eagles nursery.

“The board is clearly aligned on trying to retain as much local talent as we can and clearly our local juniors are a priority for us,” Sea Eagles co-owner Scott Penn said.

“We will do everything we can to keep him.”

However, Penn said that the reality of a competitive marketplace was that it was difficult to keep everyone.

“It certainly doesn’t stop a club throwing a massive number out there, which at times makes it hard for us to match,” he said.

“But rest assured we will be doing everything we can to retain our local juniors.”

Penn said Gutherson and Trbojevic were clearly a talented pair. “But we’d like to keep them under the radar a bit more,” he said.

If we want to retain him I suspect we will have to let one of our established backline players move on at the end of next season. I assume it will be Matai as from memory his contract is up. Gutherson will then be the mr fix it in next years backline before slotting in fulltime the next year. Either way I would hate to be making the decisions.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6