Post-Game Discussion Raiders v Manly [Round 12, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Raiders
Vs
Sea Eagles
14 GIO Stadium
21 May 2023 16:05
80:00 minute

Match Stats

Just such a spirited effort all round after that difficult start . Not sure with the overall really impressive turnabout with the attacking approach , [ maybe the coaching staff to take some kudos ] of course some of Turbo 's and Shuster's great plays made a huge difference but the whole side seemed a lot more attuned to use the footy better . And save for a couple of flimsy one on one tackling efforts , largely had the Raiders measure in defence also, particularly in that initial stage when they were really under the pump , Big wraps for Tent but Bullemor continues to impress as well ,[ how about re signing him Manly ] Sam Fainu really good for a newcomer . Croker looked a lot fresher and eager , Garrick good and Saab showing again that there is no substitute for real speed . Jake probably summed up that much needed desperation required with that try saving effort on Whitehead , A few things going Manly 's way but hey who cares , a serious morale boosting win and where there is life ,there is still hope to make the finals

I was there!

The boys really stood up!

Go Manly!!!

20230521_152106.jpg
20230521_173001.jpg
20230521_174245.jpg
20230521_180751.jpg

A bit odd that we scored 8 tries and apart from a 40/20, DCE was involved in zero of them, including the two tries scored down the right side of the field.

It was a good thing a fit Tom and Josh Schuster were making something happen because even with some excellent performances from Bullemor, Paseka and Keppie, I'm not sure how many points we would otherwise have scored.

A bit odd that we scored 8 tries and apart from a 40/20, DCE was involved in zero of them, including the two tries scored down the right side of the field.

It was a good thing a fit Tom and Josh Schuster were making something happen because even with some excellent performances from Bullemor, Paseka and Keppie, I'm not sure how many points we would otherwise have scored.
How was it odd Scorpio that we scored 8 tries. Our matchwinners all stood up yesterday, it was a Tommy, Schuster and Saab deadly triple combo, nothing odd their.

How was it odd Scorpio that we scored 8 tries. Our matchwinners all stood up yesterday, it was a Tommy, Schuster and Saab deadly triple combo, nothing odd their.

Not sure if you're being deliberately obtuse but the point was that our highest paid player did nothing of note apart from a 40/20, even with our forwards having a field day.

We won the match and scored a lot of points, which is great, but to me it isn't a great sign that even in perfect conditions our halfback didn't do too much...

Man, how cold does it look, there's a lot of people waring hoodies and beanies out there.

Special mention to the hamburger hoodie.

Good stuff!
Yes it was as cold as anything, maybe 6 or 7 degrees with a cool breeze ...but it was cracking experience! The raiders fans were good, barely a queue for a beer (Four Pines are you listening?) ... a beer holder in the seat rest (Penn are you listening??) Really easy busses in and out (Council are you listening???) ... really good setup.

Not sure if you're being deliberately obtuse but our highest paid player did nothing of note apart from a 40/20, even with our forwards having a field day.

We won the match and scored a lot of points, which is great, but to me it isn't a great sign that even in perfect conditions our halfback didn't do too much...
You're a hard marker Scorpio, DCE busted his balls in our last 2 defeats, may not have featured to much yesterday but his Captaincy of the team was first class, ie; going for the try instead of the goal, it's called reading the game.

Damn! I posted last week that Manly were $51 to win the grand final, but i expected Raiders to win to push that $ up even higher. This morning Manly are down to $41. Still good value. If Manly can make the top 8 and somehow be at full strength, I can't see why they can't win three in a row to reach the grand final. Not saying it is easy or a sure thing, but it isn't outrageous imo.

Not sure if you're being deliberately obtuse but the point was that our highest paid player did nothing of note apart from a 40/20, even with our forwards having a field day.

When Schu and Tom are on fire it's Chezs job to get us in position to unleash the guys with the hot hands. When we are at our best DCE can step back and organise/kick. When we are playing poorly is when he feels the need to do everything himself. Set up right, spread left is our go to play. If it's as successful as it was last night it naturally follows that the right hand side won't have much to do.

i completely agree

forwards did well, 6 went well, 6 kicked, fullback went well

this is almost the perfect setting for DCE to showcase ive been advised.

Nah, they got this was more like it

to be expected though before origin his preservation tactics are legendary now he is a mainstay. before that we could count on extra effort, maybe even a try assist

When Schu and Tom are on fire it's Chezs job to get us in position to unleash the guys with the hot hands. When we are at our best DCE can step back and organise/kick. When we are playing poorly is when he feels the need to do everything himself. Set up right, spread left is our go to play. If it's as successful as it was last night it naturally follows that the right hand side won't have much to do.

To me this is the problem. If Tom and Josh are fit and firing, I suppose it's fine to just go through the motions and give them the ball and do little else in attack. But there is no other first grade half-back who couldn't do exactly that.

The problem is, if our #1 and #6 aren't fit and firing... what happens? Well we saw exactly what happens in the past 3 weeks... we hardly fired a shot in attack and repeatedly gave the opposition the ball.

I am pointing this out when we win, because when we lose, DCE escapes any criticism from a lot here, because people instead blame the lack of a decent 5/8, or blame Tom for being unfit, or blame the forwards, or they say DCE is just 'trying too hard'.

But that's just my opinion.

Its a bizarre team and season. Last few weeks, seemed to have zero ideas in attack. Yesterday, it was like there was so many attacking options, six tackles in a set was never enough. Some sets went by without Schu or DCE or vice versa getting the ball.

I can tell what he did of note, he did a stupid chip & chase 1 minute from halftime when a deep kick would have shown game management abilities. That chip & chase mess almost resulted in a Canberra try right on halftime and DID result in 2 points right on halftime. There are times when he leaves me utterly speechless.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8