Game Day: Raiders v Manly [Round 23, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Blowy Laysewer.

I was going to say Gaysewer, but I thought that might be offensive.

And kudos to Charming Linda-Rondstadt on getting rid of the exaggerated hairstyle.

And a big cheerio to the Manly-supporting flog in a wretched, Thai-built, domestically-labelled, small dick mobile - who wouldn’t allow a small Euro car into the traffic flow out of the carpark.

I can speak Klingon, but that's all Greek to me mate :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have never been privileged to live in the Manly area but I did have the choice, the pleasure and pride to support the most inspirational footy team in the world

The Manly Warringah Sea eagles

Today we went to war and with every battle great warriors prepare for loses (not excuses) and rely on their great character to overcome and prevail

We lost the penalty count
We lost a forward
We lost a back
We lost 2 bench players

But we did not lose our focus , determination , tenacity and resilience as these are the characteristics that win the big games

Our 2019 team is what inspirational Rocky movies are made of ..........

71DJrFO+8-L._SL1024_.jpg

How good is jack plugging holes at centre? He must be on the bench at least every week

I'll admit, after the past couple of years I wasn't sold on Jetski as a regular first grade player. But then, I wasn't sold on Brad Parker or Moses Suli either and I certainly wasn't sold on Dylan Walker as a 5/8.

Its amazing though what having a good coach can do for a side and its players. A coach who not only knows what he's doing as far as game plans and the like are concerned, but one with a great attention to detail at training where a players faults are pointed out to them along with how they can fix it.

There were a few players from last years squad who I thought were very iffy moving forward. But under Des they have started to show just how good they can be.

The Fox commentators were so obviously off the mark. In the first half when Chez narrowly missed a 40-20, by maybe 3m, not one of them noticed and all speculated (wrongly) why he looked disappointed. So bias is one thing, incompetence is another...

Dare to dream: Sea Eagles soaring to top four spot on NRL ladder
With only two rounds of the regular season now remaining, the team many tipped at the start of the season to be in contention for the wooden spoon have continued their stunning form.

Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph

Subscriber only

|

August 25, 2019 8:10pm

Close

Dare to dream Manly fans. Because even the wily old Des Hasler is struggling to keep his giant-killing Sea Eagles flying under the radar.

With only two rounds of the regular season now remaining, the team many tipped this year to be in contention for the wooden spoon have jumped into the top four after a courageous come-from-behind 18-14 win in front of Canberra’s biggest home crowd of the season.

On an afternoon when the Sea Eagles suffered two serious first-half injury setbacks that knocked Joel Thompson (broken arm) and Moses Suli (syndesmosis ankle) out of the match and potentially the season, a Joey Leilua brain snap turned the match on its head.

Trailing 10-4 in the 51st minute, the Sea Eagles were awarded an eight-point try after Leilua dropped his knees into Reuben Garrick’s back following a long-range intercept try.

The two teams staged a ripping end-to-end battle in the dying minutes but it was the Sea Eagles held on to knock South Sydney out of the top four on percentages.

Daly Cherry-Evans celebrates with Manly Sea Eagles teammates after the win over Canberra. Picture: AAP

At the start of the season even Hasler would have struggled to believe this could be possible after Manly finished 15th last year under Trent Barrett.

But Hasler couldn’t hide his pride after another gutsy performance when his players just found a way to victory.

“If you want to go anywhere in this competition I believe you have got to have that ability to hang in there and hang in there and hang in there,” Hasler said.

FROM OUR PARTNERS

AFL, NRL, Cricket, F1, Supercars, A-League. Have it all. Get Foxtel Sport today

Manly has now won eight of its past 10 games and will take on competition leaders Melbourne at Lottoland this Saturday who they beat 11-10 back in round 19.

“We are definite now of making the finals so I think these sort of games will come in handy because the squad is relatively young when it comes to semi final experience,” Hasler added.

“It is a journey and they have worked hard at it. They really wanted to work hard as far as winning back the respect. But at the end of the day the journey for them has been hard work and it is not over yet.”

LEILUA BRAINSNAP

No one ever questions Leilua’s outstanding ability to break a game wide open. But his lack of discipline has been a constant anchor throughout his career and another moment of madness cost the Raiders in this one.

Canberra was in control up until that point with the Sea Eagles really struggling to capitalise on any of their chances.

But that was until Jack Gosiewski swopped on an intercept near his own goal line and sprinted clear before he found a flying Garrick in support.

Joey Leilua’s brain snap proved costly for Canberra. Picture: Getty Images

Garrick raced away to plant the ball under the posts before Leilua recklessly dropped his knees into Garrick’s back well after the ball had been grounded.

It left the referees no option but to award an eight-point try.

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart was obviously not happy but he was not arguing the decision.

“I think it was justified,” Stuart said.

“I have spoken to BJ.”

There was a tough call that went against the Raiders in the first half when an onfield “no try” call went against Jack Wighton after it was ruled he had lost possession.

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart. Picture: Getty Images

The replays were hardly convincing and if it was sent up as a try it probably would have been the difference on the final scoreboard.

But Stuart was more concerned about factors in his own team’s performance.

“If you want to keep giving opportunity to good teams they are going to beat you and we gave them too many,” Stuart added.

“I am not taking the gloss off a really, really tough win for Manly down here. They played tougher than us and for longer.”

The Raiders remain in third spot on percentages and take on the Sharks next week in Paul Gallen’s last home game at Cronulla.

INJURIES ROCK EAGLES

Joel Thompson’s season looks to be over. Picture: Getty Images

The last thing any team needs counting down to the finals is more injuries but it looks like Thompson will be gone for the season with a broken arm and Sulu cold also struggle to get back after a syndesmosis ankle injury.

The good news for Manly is that Curtis Sironen is expected back for this week’s clash against Melbourne.

WHISTLE-HAPPY REFS

It was a pretty solid first half performance from both teams although the match struggled to really find its rhythm due to 16 penalties before the break.

Perhaps the best example of some of the pedantic rulings was when Jack Wighton was penalised for slowing down the play the ball after a cracking shot on Dylan Walker.

Given teams are often allowed to take up to 10 seconds for players to roll off three-man tackles, it just seems absurd a little more leeway isn’t given to dominant one-on-one tackles.

In the end 21 penalties were blown..

8pm at night on WA and still buzzing from this afternoons game.

That was truly a memorable and very gutsy effort.

We may not win the 2019 Premiership but boy haven’t these boys given us a ride for our money this year!!

We have not come this far to lose the 2019 premiership feathered friend

Our boys are on heat and they are going to screw any team that tries to stop them from taking the first prize

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8