Post-Game Discussion Raiders v Manly [Round 23, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Game Information

Raiders
Vs
Sea Eagles
18 Suncorp Stadium
20 Aug 2021 18:00
80th minute

Match Stats

There was only one 'journo' in the press conference for Des and Ricky tonight. I thought Ricky was very patient with the work experience kid.

I had to laugh, though, when Ricky was glowing of DCE. His view is completely different to some folk on here, but hey, Sticky was only a former test halfback so not sure how much weight to attach to his opinion.

Do you know what the really sad thing tonight was with regards to Moses Suli??

The last time he put in an 80 minute performance like that was the 2019 Semi against Souths where he tore Dane Gagai to shreds.

Why the living eff has it taken him almost two years to do it again???

on line..????

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-20 at 23-01-13 Match Highlights Raiders v Sea Eagles.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-20 at 23-01-13 Match Highlights Raiders v Sea Eagles.png
    300.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 👍
Reactions: Ned
Next match against the Dogs gives us a chance to rest Harpo and Parker and try Suli and Walker in the centres. Many posters are adamant Walker is a centre so let him show it. Frankly, I thought he played well tonight in his utility role.
I'm also wondering if The Shoe should be rested. He tackled well tonight but may need freshening up for the finals because we need his attacking brilliance.

What was dumber than a lot of our game tonight was the decision to leave Turbo out. I am still fuming over that decision. Is the club lying to the fans about the seriousness of his health, or was it some ridiculous psychological thing to show the boys can win without him. I'm flabbergasted.
If he has a metal plate in his face and that got bumped and he has swelling or soreness I'd have thought there might be some risk of infection. Which could be real big trouble.
But then again I'm not a doctor so I'll defer to you medical expert types.

what you don’t grasp is walker is a running center. He has been played all over the park and has been mediocre in those roles.

We have a few good centers and whilst Parker is not dynamic his defence earns him his spot and with Garrick on his outside and Parker’s ability to get the ball away Parker deserves his spot.

Leaving Suli looking for a spot somewhere. You can have walker coming off the bench and dying with the ball of putting a grubber that is usually well covered or you could have someone like suli come on with the power to destroy a tiring defence.
Ok so it’s just a simple case of you not rating Walker’s performances in the middle...you are entitled to that opinion.

Though it was only by 1 pt, this game could determine our top 4 chances. A win's a win, so I'm happy with that!

I loved seeing Jake barking at the team after we scored, and then Cherry after we scored again.

A crucial moment for me was when Foz tackled 2 players at once on his own in the in-goal area to give us another set of 6. Well played Foz!

I can't understand why Hudson Young wasn't penalised for tackling Harper after he scored his try and was tackled by Kris, and then held him down?! Similarly thought it unfair to put a Raider on report several tackles later for a high shot on Marty, and we didn't receive a penalty.

At this time of the season, it was great to have a tough win rather than a soft one. Good experience for the finals.

I pray we don't ever play a single game for the rest of the season without Tom. Holy Gawd we are genuinely a shell of a team without him. I really don't understand what it is. It's like we throw away our whole style of playing footy. It isn't the normal side-to-side expansive footy, that rolls through the middle and moves the opposition pack. It's boring predictable one out footy with a lot of players running like headless chooks and just passing to rather Suli or Smole relying on one of them to make a break for us. It really is concerning, it also might be the fact we still don't have a necessary back up fullback.

Garrick is just not it as a fullback, gotta accept it. He had that one amazing game at cowboys, but in truth he is not built for that role. He's an elite winger, keep him there and stop reshuffling the backline just for Tom being out. I still believe Walker should've been at 1, would've done a better job tonight. Played great from his bench position as usual. Just a bit more built for it, with his involvement, passing and running game. Like deadset, maybe coz I'm used to Tom being everywhere on the field as a FB, Garrick was legit MIA in attack. Except for when he brought back the kick returns. That back up fullback position really has to get sorted for next year, but for now, let's just pray we see Tom every game now for the rest of the season.

At this time of the season, it was great to have a tough win rather than a soft one. Good experience for the finals.
I think that's right. It was a tough game.
Raiders have a had a terrible season but they made the grand final and the GF qualifier in the last 2 seasons, they've got the reigning dally M guy plus Papalii'i, and quite a few top players. And they were desperate, this was like their grand final, they turned up, and got the jump on us, largely through Manly errors.
So a very good sign to fight back from 0-12, score 19 straight points to win the game.
3 big games in 3 weeks, one close tough loss, one thrashing, and one tough close win. Good prep for finals month :)

I thought we missed Paseka tonight, we looked better once we had another big body in Sironen coming on

DCEs pass after the short drop out was brain dead, having the captain risking defeat to go for glory is poor match awareness and doesnt set the standard at all. The enterprising football we play only works if it's done at the right time.

Suli was great. It is a mistake to give him a big money contract though, you need to keep the pressure on him though he is absolutely worth it if he delivers that performance every week- but we got stung thinking that he turned a corner after the Souths eliminator two years ago. Tough decisions lie ahead. Parkers solid defence and ugly runs to draw defenders or Suli's bombastic running and haphazard defense.

Glad we won but we cannot afford to play that badly otherwise the ref will take the balance of the game away from us

If we lost i would burn all evidence of that Match existing but we won so i will rewatch it

Last edited:
Im reading how terrible we played, some credit must go to Can'tberra , they were fighting for a spot in the eight and tried there arses off..
Good press conference from Sticky praised his players effort but conceded we are a top 4 side and a real shot at the big one. With great players all over the park.. led by the best halfback in DCE that picked them apart

I think many positives out of that game for us. Raiders turned up with all their grit and made us play at their level and turned it on up the middle, Jake, Croker, Ocky , Marty , Walker and even Foz all with big tackle counts. Gutsy stuff in a dour arm wrestle is bloody good for us at this time of year. Ockys try when him and Croker went right against the flow was astute as was the DCE field goal timing. Looking forward to Toms return and what our spine has installed over the coming weeks.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10