Realistically it's time to be realistic

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Credit where credit's due and yes Baz has done very well to get the team playing like they are. Top 8 is a realistic aim but talk of top 4 is imho premature and a bit too high at this stage.
We have taken some scalps like the Cowboys and Chooks but we've also been beaten by the Storm and Dragons, the 2 top sides in the comp. Its early days, let's enjoy the ride and see what happens....

This team is very much a work in progress. They seem to be free of the shackles of the last 2 seasons where we were dogged by discontented players, player contracts, cleanouts ect. There seems to be a togetherness again and you see that every time a try is scored. I see us being a match for most sides this season and with some shrewd recruiting we will be a major force next year. The Turbos are driving this team and guys are improving their performances each week.

I watched my first game in 6 weeks last night and I marvelled at the speed of the team, the game plan, how relaxed DCE looked leading the team around and how much we missed B Lawrence through all the mayhem of the 15 and 16 seasons. He has bought a calmness to the pack and the younger guys are following him, Marty Taupau is the thrust that we need and he destroyed Souths last night.

There are some really good days ahead for this team!!

That Souths team last night is not NRL standard, but you can only beat what's in front of you and that was a pretty complete performance from Manly - the best for a couple of years. I definitely think we can make the 8 after that.
That Souths team lost to Brisbane by 1, agree though, they were bad, however in saying that we were beyond great. That was most certainly a top 4 quality performance

My question to you bazeagle is do you realize that none of the Barrett critics presented a logical argument . All that was happening is that they were looking at the scoreboard and because they weren't happy giving it deluxe to the scapegoat.
Even if Barrett led us to our first spoon the logic was still dodgy and the death riders would have been right by fluke not superior intelligence as they were depicting themselves. Have a look at someone like Batty (the poster ) who has a balanced logic . If the harsh critics on here can't see logic then they will go on with the same crap every time the scoreboard doesn't stack up.
This season for us ? Injuries could be the biggest factor. If we can stay healthy then anything is possible.
Penrith to finish higher than Saints on the table is my tip.
You will never get a balanced opinion from some of the drones that frequent this site. They follow each other like sheep, the "special" ones. It is good to see the emergence of some new members who can articulate a reasonable debate without following the cattle over the cliff.

Imagine a new fan of Manly coming onto this site to learn a thing or two.
My advice to them is check the history of the ones who alarm them the most and they will find that their opinions are to viewed as comedy rather than anything to do with the future. 40 years as a supporter won't prove that they know what they are talking about , it is their track record that is the one and only guide.
Check out Wombat Legacy and many others to see a balanced view devoid of panic
Oh right e o Wombat Legacy and cleary you Forty Baskets as well, are fully onto it on every level. What the hell are you talking about? Are you accountants or lawyers? Being a true footy supporter means passions arise naturally and these emotions do blend into a so called "balanced opinion" or a "reasonable debate". Bollocks. Do you guys sit at the game or watch it on tv with a cup of cocoa and some crocheting to be getting on with?

Oh right e o Wombat Legacy and cleary you Forty Baskets as well, are fully onto it on every level. What the hell are you talking about? Are you accountants or lawyers? Being a true footy supporter means passions arise naturally and these emotions do blend into a so called "balanced opinion" or a "reasonable debate". Bollocks. Do you guys sit at the game or watch it on tv with a cup of cocoa and some crocheting to be getting on with?

You say it how you see it, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that champion. You have the gumption to admit when things have/are changed/changing.

I dedicate this song to you, legend.

Just a bit of friendly advice to a new member. Don't take the negative posts to heart, most of them are crap .

So, to get this right, we only take the positive posts to heart, because they are in line with your determination of what is acceptable?

Sounds pretty communist to me?

Imagine a forum where everyone toed the line, and agreed that only positivity is acceptable. Jeez it would get boring, fast. Open your mind mate.

To be honest Ryan, Bazeagle deserves some stick, purely on his DCE bashing.

Making negative posts cause the guy went to see his family after a hard loss is quite frankly over and above.

Baz, bag DCE over your perceptions on DCE's kicking game, tackling, ref interaction, ball running, etc, but leave the poor guy's family and how and when he interacts with them out of it.

I personally couldn't care less about his bagging of Barrett after every loss, and his enevitable "I was realistically wrong thread" after every win.
The guy seriously floats with the wind in terms of his opinions on footy matters, and therefore has zero credibility in my mind.

To be honest Ryan, Bazeagle deserves some stick, purely on his DCE bashing.

Making negative posts cause the guy went to see his family after a hard loss is quite frankly over and above.

Baz, bag DCE over your perceptions on DCE's kicking game, tackling, ref interaction, ball running, etc, but leave the poor guy's family and how and when he interacts with them out of it.

I personally couldn't care less about his bagging of Barrett after every loss, and his enevitable "I was realistically wrong thread" after every win.
The guy seriously floats with the wind in terms of his opinions on footy matters, and therefore has zero credibility in my mind.

Totally understand. The thing about footy (and what makes it exciting though) is the uber high's and the uber low's. Some people are naturally more here and now, some people are more long term minded.

I know it literally rips me apart when the team loses. On the flipside, a win like we had Friday night, literally makes my whole week happy, and drives what I do (as in watching all the footy shows).

I even get to the point after a loss, of waking up the next day thinking, why the **** did I say that on the forum (which is exactly why woodsie and Kevin get the ****s with me understandably).

I've always been a fan of Barrett (disagreed with some team selections) and really think he'll take us to the wonderland. I disagree entirely with strone and baz in that, and have shared PM's with them about it, but I absolutely am open to their opinions & views.

I just have to have the wiles to convince them otherwise - hehehe, because they are very knowledgable, strong characters.

But it's all good either way. We are all Manly community. We all want the same things.

Negative illogical posts are 100% acceptable because it is a forum.
In fact the first person I would read and pay the most attention to is the one making all the bold statements either negative or positive who actually was correct a lot of the time.
How unreal to read a post by someone declaring a certain wooden spoon who had a track record of any sort.
I asked a cricket player years ago about who he thought our next champion bowler would be. He just said quietly one name .... Glen Mcgrath in his opinion and this was before he had ever played for Oz.
Here is an opinion I would seek.

Understand man. But hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it. The reason I understand your view is this (and I do this with the utmost respect to the deceased here):

Remember when Brett Stewart was being accused of who knows what in the media (no need to repeat it). Rebecca Wilson came out with articles suggesting Brett Stewart should be immediately stood down and reprimanded. I actually wrote her at the time, and warned her of the damage to reputation and things it was causing (including repurcussions around libel and things). What do you know, Brett Stewart was found completely innocent, so I wrote her after that again, and she replied with something along the lines of, "isn't hindsight fantastic to all you knowledge-less cretins on that Sea eagles site" with some further abuse aimed at us all.

So I get it.

BUT, you have to take the subject matter, and seriousness 9in the scheme of life) of making bold predictions about the form of the team into consideration. You talk about accountability - but for what? Saying Barrett may not succeed as coach? Is it really that dramatic or serious that someone needs to be held to account for making said prediction?

We have to lighten up here. Compare that to Rebecca Wilson's prediction about Bullet's guilt or innosense.

We all need to lighten up. We all know nothing about each other, apart from our opinions on a footy forum about footy. You're suggesting based off that, you'd ask a bloke who said Glenn Macgrath would be a great cricketer their life long opinion's on all subject matters, over someone who suggests Trent Barrett might not make it?

Seems really narrow minded mate. There's more to life than a prediction or opinion on The Sea Eagles. We don't need to rehash threads from 17 years ago to prove that someone said something off track, surely?

All that was happening is that they were looking at the scoreboard and because they weren't happy giving it deluxe to the scapegoat.

I would have thought the scoreboard a fairly logical way to judge how a team, and by extension its coach, is performing?

The scoreboard records one thing. The game that has just been played and judging the coaches and players performance on that day is entirely logical.
By extension, to declare that it proves anything about the rest of the season is proven to be illogical .
Jeez 40 Bskts = it's all too hard. Logic? What the hell is that? This is footy and this is a footy forum populated by many different people from many different backgrounds.Trying to narrow anything down to fit your comfort zone is doomed to failure here. Rest easy. Footy takes me away from many other stresses I have in my life and I do get fired up here which is illogical and long may it be all of that.

Totally understand. The thing about footy (and what makes it exciting though) is the uber high's and the uber low's. Some people are naturally more here and now, some people are more long term minded.

I know it literally rips me apart when the team loses. On the flipside, a win like we had Friday night, literally makes my whole week happy, and drives what I do (as in watching all the footy shows).

I even get to the point after a loss, of waking up the next day thinking, why the **** did I say that on the forum (which is exactly why woodsie and Kevin get the ****s with me understandably).

I've always been a fan of Barrett (disagreed with some team selections) and really think he'll take us to the wonderland. I disagree entirely with strone and baz in that, and have shared PM's with them about it, but I absolutely am open to their opinions & views.

I just have to have the wiles to convince them otherwise - hehehe, because they are very knowledgable, strong characters.

But it's all good either way. We are all Manly community. We all want the same things.
100% Ryan. I'm gutted after a loss and it definitely spills into the following week. Hey 40 Bskts - I know this is massively illogical but that's the way it is for me. It may make me even write illogical, unreasonable and crazy posts here. But in the end it doesn't really harm anyone, does it.

No harm done, but can't I debate illogical crap ?
If I wanted to be in the comfort zone I'd join the sheep Baz, but the day I bag the crap out of the coach and players based on nothing, but complain when someone has the hide to comment on my own dismal record as an " expert " critic , is the very day I pull my head in.
Ok. Not sure I've ever claimed to be an "expert" critic.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10