[Resurrected] SACK Des Hasler!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I wonder when people will stop blaming the coaches?
Probably when coaches get replaced with captain coaches
Someone needs to select players, motivate players, come up with game plans for attack and defence targeting weekly opposition etc
Wayne Bennet seems to go ok and so does Bellamy

Probably when coaches get replaced with captain coaches
Someone needs to select players, motivate players, come up with game plans for attack and defence targeting weekly opposition etc
Wayne Bennet seems to go ok and so does Bellamy
Two coaches and pretty much the same results.

This is what has happened due to a lack of ownership and direction for a number of years.

As an example Tony M is still cleaning up the problems that a lack of ceo caused

It comes down to perspective I guess @Kiwi Eagle...
My memories from Des 2.0 will always be of a coach that religiously picked the same starters regardless of form and the fadeout of 2020 (lost 8 of the last 9 games) and 2022 (lost 8 of the last 10 games and last 7 straight)...
For mine, 2021 run was ALL about Tom and that is highlighted by our ongoing impotence when he is not in the side - sure, we were hovering around the 8 this year but we we played sh*t sides mostly with our wins against the Storm and raiders our only top 8 wins...

I loved Des as a player and Des 1.0 has claims to being Manly's best coach - but for mine, Des 2.0 was a failure that was only made to look half decent because of the Barrett experience...
I think there's a common denominator here that gets overlooked. Des 1.0 was under the ownership of Delmege and won titles where Delmege / Quantum were the majority shareholders., whereas Des 2.0 was under the ownership of Penn.

I love toovey but I don't think he was a great coach. That team was built on Haslers shoulders and could have pretty well coached themselves by 2012.

Point taken and I agree with you. Manly had a very strong line up, though it was approaching the end of its reign. But it was also a time when the administration was beginning to go viral and not the easiest road to travel. Point is though, Toovey coached Manly for 3 years and in 2012 they came 4th knocked out in the prelim final, in 2013 came in 4th and were defeated in that controversial grand final against Souths and in 2014 they came in 2nd and knocked out in the semi. Des was long gone by then. They had some top players, but then Hasler also had those top players. Credit where credit due, Toovey kept Manly near the top for all three years of his tenure. Left because of management disputes not performance.

Point taken and I agree with you. Manly had a very strong line up, though it was approaching the end of its reign. But it was also a time when the administration was beginning to go viral and not the easiest road to travel. Point is though, Toovey coached Manly for 3 years and in 2012 they came 4th knocked out in the prelim final, in 2013 came in 4th and were defeated in that controversial grand final against Souths and in 2014 they came in 2nd and knocked out in the semi. Des was long gone by then. They had some top players, but then Hasler also had those top players. Credit where credit due, Toovey kept Manly near the top for all three years of his tenure. Left because of management disputes not performance.
i see your point and agree somewhat. However, all great sides that have been together for a long period to me can be self sufficient to a point.

That manly side was stacked with quality that had been there and done it at the highest level. I see Toovey as more a caretaker of the talent than an outright coach. He had a passion and was probably able to get the boys up but he's no Hasler, Bellemy or Bennent.

He was coach for four years. He might have made the finals four years running, if not for off-field issues. They ultimately came quite close in 2015.

could hasler become dragons caretaker coach, while taking action against manly and steer drags away from the spoon and us a tad closer

wild Irony

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8