[Resurrected] SACK Des Hasler!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Nordburg

First Grader
So it's becoming quite clear:

- Des won't want to leave without getting paid out. Also this would be his last chance imo to coach a Nrl side so not sure he would want to leave on the last note being this seasons results

- The club wants a succession plan however have forced Des's staff to basically leave so that makes lots of sense?

- if Des stays next season, much like this season, his decisions will be short sighted (forget long term development of players, he will continue to pick experience over youth as every result will be critical as he only has the 1 year on his contract

- if Des somehow does leave in the off season, we basically have no coaches, structures/plans going into next year and will be way behind the 8 ball before a ball is even kicked for 2023. It's basically already too late to get a new coaching team in place for 23

Who will blink first in this mexican stand off/shi* show!
I think they’ve got a coach in place ready to go,just not someone many will be happy with or high profile enough to warrant spruiking about in the media

40 nil

It's only a game ...
Most incoming coaches will wish to have input in recruiting of new players suitable for the team they wish to develop. It is too late for this for 2023, so if Des is replaced, it will possibly be an interim type coach with a more credentialed coach being sought for 2024. Indeed, the club is in a mess. Never mind, let's hope for success in 2023, regardless...

We need a modern minded coach - maybe Jason Ryles fits the bill?

Last edited:

Nordburg

First Grader
With initials S H ? Or am I off the mark?
If it’s not to be Des,good luck to a rookie coach walking into that hornets nest.Earlier in the year when other clubs were looking for a new coach,the media threw up a handful of names like Ciraldo,Flanagan,Green etc.Now this week,they’ve offered up a new crew of blokes that are in the running like Ryles,Young and Hornby.The media go through a cycle of coaches they like to push forward but most of the time it’s with no basis or in Flanagan’s case,a mate of theirs.Not 100% sure on Ryles contract status at the Chooks,but I thought he’d be available in 2024 and they have a history of making sure their assistants see out the contract

Shoe1

Journey Man
Firstly can't believe some here are even trying to compare Manly to Chelsea.

Chelsea spent 200million pounds in one transfer window over the off season. Tuchel won the champions league less than 3 months ago and was sacked after 7 games this season.

In football there are probably 10 or 15 coaches that could come in to replace him that have won big honours and have form on the board.

We spend little or no money. Are a basket case. And the best bit.....

We finished 11th..... yep not last or even second last. 11th and the amount of knicker twisting around here is astounding.
We both had combover accountant Joke Kelly.

Ryan

Journey Man
95% of which are either not available, worse that what we already have or both of the above.

The other 5% just don't exist.

I kinda think this sums up our divide mate. I talk about what has already transpired and base my opinion on that.

You project what "might" happen, and state it as though it's fact. Comments like, well that coach will never work is guess work mate, with no sound basis to provide backbone to your argument.

We are.coming up to half a decade with Des since his return, and he's a .400 coach (not too far off Trent Barrett type figures). You have said it's the next 17 games that will be the telling games in his coaching ability (out of say 100 games for me) vs. 117 games for you to decide. See how we are arguing semantics really ?

40 nil

It's only a game ...
There are only five premiership winning coaches currently in the NRL - Bellamy, Robinson, Hasler, Cleary & Stuart. If Des doesn't coach in 2023, the number will remain five with Bennett returning to coach the Dolphins. Only Bennett has won premierships at more than one club.

Thus, sometimes clubs need to take a chance with a (well credentialed) rookie coach. It's working this year for the Sharks & Cowboys (2nd year). Rookie coaches have won a comp in their first year, i.e. Gould, Stuart & Robinson.

ManEagle

Just a Man and his Eagle
It's been reported this afternoon that turbo is very much team Des. I think if they sack des for a rookie. Tommy will leave at some point
Flip side of that is, Turbo and Jake were also very much Team Baz, but they are still here.

Most of this stuff is all media BS to sell papers,some may of it may stick and force the situation by external pressure, I hope Des stays for another year.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
This whole concept of 'stability' is an interesting one.

It seems that Des thinks a contract extension for 2024 would provide stability for the club.
Was this not his argument for the last extension?
Has he, since that last extension, been setting up any kind of 'succession plan'?
From the outside it looks as though he hasn't and, I suspect, this is also how it's seen by the Penn family.

Where is the 'stability' for the club in another year when no plan has been made in the last however many years?
Many have misquoted Scott Penn's remark that "Des can have the job as long as he wants" by leaving out the kicker, and he did say it, "as long as the results are good".
We finished 11th!

The only stability that an extension will offer is for Mr Hasler's bank account.
If he really does believe in 'stability', he would accept that he has a job for next year and get all these players, who it's claimed are in his corner, to have the best year of their lives in 2023 telling them, that no matter what, they play for Manly and Manly is a proud and strong club. Meanwhile, he should get everything in the best possible state for his successor should he not be offered another extension.

That would be 'stability' for the Club, not the coach.

EOL now nesting on the GC

Official NRL commentator of the UK Royal Family
Premium Member
Tipping Member
For a few different reasons, I don't believe Des can coach the club to a premiership in this era. At some time a change needs to be made.
For me its the opposite. Out of all the available talent or lack there of in the market at the moment Des is best placed to win a premiership for me. We have 80% in place just needs to fill in some blanks.

Team P W L PD Pts
12 9 3 83 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 9 4 110 20
13 8 5 66 20
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
13 7 6 133 16
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16
13 7 6 -34 16
13 6 6 27 15