[Resurrected] SACK Des Hasler!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Exactly my point. Des is the best we can possibly get in todays market. Why would they sack him to put an unknown in..... just stupid.

You seem to think every thing is just rosy ... in all your "save Dessie" posts you seem to skip over the fact that after 4 years of Dessie's way ... the entire club is a basket case .... exactly the same as it was at the Bulldogs after 5 years of Dessie's way ....

I think we have more chance of Bellamy coaching us for free than Penn opening the wallet and paying top dollar for him.

You seem to think every thing is just rosy ... in all your "save Dessie" posts you seem to skip over the fact that after 4 years of Dessie's way ... the entire club is a basket case .... exactly the same as it was at the Bulldogs after 5 years of Dessie's way ....
History does tend to repeat itself, hey. Des always tends to make it a complete debacle (or it just seems to go that way) when he finishes his time coaching somewhere.

pretty fair points... although I guess Des has had a decent say in that recruitment... ie Harper from the Dogs, maybe Lawton as well. He obviously isn't on board with the Foran/Schuster situation

Every single player in the club has been signed by Hasler ... every single one .

Just not sure what Des has done to you but gee you have it in for him that is for sure. I am no Hasler flag waver that is for certain and will never forgive or forget what he did to us in going to the Dogs. He is abrasive with club officials that is absolutely true - he cant stand them interfering but when you hear current and former players speak with such respect for him... ie James Graham for example - his players love him. He obviously gets offside those officials that want to meddle. Is he a perfect coach - do I agree with his selection decisions and use of the bench but I will ask again seeing from you sack them people all I hear are crickets... which coach are you bringing in that is experienced enough to deal with Penn and the rest of the egos in club administration land? I despise what Hasler did to us but I recognise that he is a very very good coach. You need to let go of the hatred and the blaming him for all that has happened. There is lots of blame to go around with Penn, Jerseygate, injuries etc.

Every single player in the club has been signed by Hasler ... every single one .
yes so you say....I have absolutely no inside intelligence on which players he pushed for, which he didn't and which he doesn't want aside from my guess is that he didn't want Schuster at 5/8 at least not now and he lost that battle.

Interesting that you used the Knights, and not the Sharks, Bunnies, Raiders or Cowboys who let their 1st string halves leave (for various reasons) yet are still in the comp and playing finals footy week 2.

To the others, there are so many coaches available , it's ridiculous. Jesus Bellamy will be off contract then, and throw enough money at him, anything is possible. Money talks. Over to you Penn. I've just sorted out your succession - open the wallet.
Because the Knights is quite comfortably the most comparable situation, Pearce much maligned and on good money, much like DCE, and primary playmakers on their sides

If you want to talk about those other 4 sides, a fair chunk of it comes down to health of the squads. We were sitting right with the Bunnies and Raiders until the final 7 weeks, our health went downhill, their health improved and so did their form

Sharks, let Johnson go, brought Hynes in, unproven but not really a big call when Johnson has never produced ?

Bunnies, letting Reynolds go was a big call for a rookie. Floundering much like we were then Latrell has come back and carried them, and Walker has gone with him. Sounds fairly similar to a Tom/DCE situation

Raiders, didn’t have anything in the 7 jersey and headhunted Fogarty

Cowboys, let Clifford go. Dearden and Townsend in. I can only imagine the combustion on here if this time last year we ran bottom of the table, and a “broncos reject” and “Sharks reject who is being massively overpaid” were brought in …

Just not sure what Des has done to you but gee you have it in for him that is for sure. I am no Hasler flag waver that is for certain and will never forgive or forget what he did to us in going to the Dogs. He is abrasive with club officials that is absolutely true - he cant stand them interfering but when you hear current and former players speak with such respect for him... ie James Graham for example - his players love him. He obviously gets offside those officials that want to meddle. Is he a perfect coach - do I agree with his selection decisions and use of the bench but I will ask again seeing from you sack them people all I hear are crickets... which coach are you bringing in that is experienced enough to deal with Penn and the rest of the egos in club administration land? I despise what Hasler did to us but I recognise that he is a very very good coach. You need to let go of the hatred and the blaming him for all that has happened. There is lots of blame to go around with Penn, Jerseygate, injuries etc.

I don't hate Dessie .. in fact I am/was a big fan ...

My biggest reason for wanting him gone ... apart from results, apart from the club being a basket case, apart from selections, recruitment, retention etc ... is one simple, over-riding, non negotiable deal breaker ..

... and that is .. that after 4 full years of Des coaching we remain ... A VERY POORLY COACHED FOOTBALL TEAM .... our structures and patterns and composure under stress are abominable ...

This whole concept of 'stability' is an interesting one.

It seems that Des thinks a contract extension for 2024 would provide stability for the club.
Was this not his argument for the last extension?
Has he, since that last extension, been setting up any kind of 'succession plan'?
From the outside it looks as though he hasn't and, I suspect, this is also how it's seen by the Penn family.

Where is the 'stability' for the club in another year when no plan has been made in the last however many years?
Many have misquoted Scott Penn's remark that "Des can have the job as long as he wants" by leaving out the kicker, and he did say it, "as long as the results are good".
We finished 11th!

The only stability that an extension will offer is for Mr Hasler's bank account.
If he really does believe in 'stability', he would accept that he has a job for next year and get all these players, who it's claimed are in his corner, to have the best year of their lives in 2023 telling them, that no matter what, they play for Manly and Manly is a proud and strong club. Meanwhile, he should get everything in the best possible state for his successor should he not be offered another extension.

That would be 'stability' for the Club, not the coach.
The results aren’t des fault. The management of this club completely sabotaged the season with the pride jersey (well intentioned or not) and we have had a horror run with injuries. Whacking in a rookie coach won’t change ****.

I don't hate Dessie .. in fact I am/was a big fan ...

My biggest reason for wanting him gone ... apart from results, apart from the club being a basket case, apart from selections, recruitment, retention etc ... is one simply one over-riding non negotiable deal breaker ..

... and that is .. that after 4 full years of Des coaching we remain ... A VERY POORLY COACHED FOOTBALL TEAM .... our structures and patterns and composure under stress are abominable ...
yes sorry - I dont see that. I am no coaching genius. I certainly see players making ridiculous decisions in defence and with the ball and sadly with most of them - you can't coach that out of them - DCE/Taupua/Keppie for instance. I certainly don't see poor game plans or defensive structures but yes I am no coach. I see lots of injuries this year and 2020 that destroyed our chances and probably impacted on our game plans and structures. I see we have some players that need to be jettisoned - totally agree with that. Like you I had high hopes for Keppie for instance - complete dud and my assessment of him was so wrong. There needs to be a roster turnover somehow and I am not sure how that happens with the salary cap and contracts and not having to pay part of the freight to get rid of players.

yes so you say....I have absolutely no inside intelligence on which players he pushed for, which he didn't and which he doesn't want aside from my guess is that he didn't want Schuster at 5/8 at least not now and he lost that battle.
Reports of Hasler personally training him now says to me that he is on board.

yes sorry - I dont see that. I am no coaching genius. I certainly see players making ridiculous decisions in defence and with the ball and sadly with most of them - you can't coach that out of them - DCE/Taupua/Keppie for instance. I certainly don't see poor game plans or defensive structures but yes I am no coach. I see lots of injuries this year and 2020 that destroyed our chances and probably impacted on our game plans and structures. I see we have some players that need to be jettisoned - totally agree with that. Like you I had high hopes for Keppie for instance - complete dud and my assessment of him was so wrong. There needs to be a roster turnover somehow and I am not sure how that happens with the salary cap and contracts and not having to pay part of the freight to get rid of players.

see, there you go .... your assessment of Keppie wasn't wrong .... he is/was on track to fulfil his potential ...

Then the world ended because ... wait for it .. he dropped the ball .... and whilst the world was ending, it got worse ... in his desire to move up quick and put a hit on ... he gave away an off side penalty .... FUKK HIM OFF the manly fans screamed in outrage ..... NEVER PLAY first grade again they moaned .... imagine a prop giving away a penalty ... unheard of.

The only thing that should of happened is for Dessie to throw Keppie another lump of raw meat with the instructions to "give him another one" instead we have hamstrung our forward pack with "play nice with others" rules ... our "coached" lack of aggression was embarrassing

Contrast the attitude of Robinson to JHW, Victor and Lodge et al ..... couldn't give a rat's about penalties or dropped ball ... just as long as they win the middle battle ...

see, there you go .... your assessment of Keppie wasn't wrong .... he is/was on track to fulfil his potential ...

Then the world ended because ... wait for it .. he dropped the ball .... and whilst the world was ending, it got worse ... in his desire to move up quick and put a hit on ... he gave away an off side penalty .... FUKK HIM OFF the manly fans screamed in outrage ..... NEVER PLAY first grade again they moaned .... imagine a prop giving away a penalty ... unheard of.

The only thing that should of happened is for Dessie to throw Keppie another lump of raw meat with the instructions to "give him another one" instead we have hamstrung our forward pack with "play nice with others" rules ... our "coached" lack of aggression was embarrassing

Contrast the attitude of Robinson to JHW, Victor and Lodge et al ..... couldn't give a rat's about penalties or dropped ball ... just as long as they win the middle battle ...
I am certainly not risk adverse that is for sure. I think we should play expansive footy ala 2021. I also certainly would never decry players being mongrels and giving away the odd penalty for intimidation given despite being a lock and not big... that is exactly how I used to play the game. What grinds me about say Keppie/Marty and DCE is the field position/time of the game that they do stupid things and Keppie just has a pumpkin on his head with his continued boneheadedness and forgetting almost every game to cover off on the inside in defence. Those three players are not the only ones but they are the coach killers in my mind. Nothing at all wrong with having a go and being different but you need to consider game time and field position before deciding to throw caution to the wind. Sadly with Keppie his pumpkin is fixed on those shoulders for good - not sure you can get through to that brain.

You were going OK but shot yourself in the foot with that example, the lack of discipline of those intimidating wild men has just led directly to an early exit for the Chooks .

Doesn't read.to me he has an issue with Des. Our current coach could be Bert and Ernie , and Woodsies problem would be the same.

This isn't a Des thing. This is a after 4 years, any coach in our current situation would be under pressure given ALL the circumstances.

Particularly because it's Des that crafted the playing group, his fitness and coaching staff, structures etc.

How come you're not getting that ?

There’s an old saying that for a business to succeed, everyone has to be on the same page, however, unfortunately, I don’t think Penn and Des are actually reading the same book.

How Mimis and Des can walk from a meeting with one view of what was agreed and Penn walks out with another, is completely bewildering.

I don’t think this is going to turn out well, however, if the players are supposedly steadfast in their loyalty to Des, it may well galvanise the group in 2023.

Manly traditionally has played attractive eyes up attacking footy. Some clubs at times have been known for being robotic (Storm) dour (Sharks) violent (old-time Dogs, Souths, Saints) but Manly have pretty much always played a similar style over the years. To work properly it requires first and foremost, the cattle, but also that all the parts and players are in complete sync.

Manly for 70 minutes against the Cows were brilliant. That match was a huge test against a highflying opponent whose class has since been confirmed, and we were thrashing them! Yes the wheel fell off which showed there was still something missing. Best part was that after being rocked by that stunning loss the side re-grouped and dished out a similar thrashing to Storm... again imploding in the final minutes but this time still hanging on for the win.

Covid took our core defenders out of the Saints game and jerseygate ruined the Chooks game, which by then had become a must win. So that loss was definitely a turning point in the season, pretty much ended us.

But the form v Cows and Storm for 70 minutes each showed we had been building something of quality. Even without Turbo. For this reason I really don't understand the sack Hasler brigade. Not that I'm bothered if we bring in a great new coach, but I suspect if Des is gone we'll end up with Cartwright or Hales ... to bring on the good times? Hmmm, maybe not.

Robinson has sent the first 2 to anger management sessions in the off season. They will come back in 2023 as:
1663120899408.png

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12