[Resurrected] SACK Des Hasler!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
You were going OK but shot yourself in the foot with that example, the lack of discipline of those intimidating wild men has just led directly to an early exit for the Chooks .

Notwithstanding that you have nailed your opinion to the mast of that other luminary Rothbooze ... I am of the opinion that losing 3 players of the calibre of Tedesco, Tupou and Crichton for the game ... without replacement ... had a much greater effect ...

The sin bins were pretty even ...

History does tend to repeat itself, hey. Des always tends to make it a complete debacle (or it just seems to go that way) when he finishes his time coaching somewhere.
2011 premiership was a massive debacle was it bud??? He may have left but it wouldn't have happened if the club didn't try to lowball him and then stuff him around in 2010

Manly traditionally has played attractive eyes up attacking footy. Some clubs at times have been known for being robotic (Storm) dour (Sharks) violent (old-time Dogs, Souths, Saints) but Manly have pretty much always played a similar style over the years. To work properly it requires first and foremost, the cattle, but also that all the parts and players are in complete sync.

Manly for 70 minutes against the Cows were brilliant. That match was a huge test against a highflying opponent whose class has since been confirmed, and we were thrashing them! Yes the wheel fell off which showed there was still something missing. Best part was that after being rocked by that stunning loss the side re-grouped and dished out a similar thrashing to Storm... again imploding in the final minutes but this time still hanging on for the win.

Covid took our core defenders out of the Saints game and jerseygate ruined the Chooks game, which by then had become a must win. So that loss was definitely a turning point in the season, pretty much ended us.

But the form v Cows and Storm for 70 minutes each showed we had been building something of quality. Even without Turbo. For this reason I really don't understand the sack Hasler brigade. Not that I'm bothered if we bring in a great new coach, but I suspect if Des is gone we'll end up with Cartwright or Hales ... to bring on the good times? Hmmm, maybe not.

We were inconsistent all season even with Tommy in the beginning part of the year and Des's predictable team selections and game plans did not inspire any change

I agree with this assessment from Sporting News

Did the Sea Eagles over-deliver or under-deliver in 2022?​

There is no doubt that Manly UNDER-DELIVERED this year.

After getting on a run at the end of 2021 to finish in 4th, they missed out on the finals altogether in 2022.

The Sea Eagles got off to a rocky start losing their first two matches, but sparked to life and looked like they were building towards another campaign in September.

However, their season was littered with inconsistency, settling into a pattern of rattling off a few wins only to slip to consecutive defeats shortly afterwards.

From round 20 onwards, this swung completely towards the latter when they finished the season with seven defeats in a row.

Anyone suggesting Des isn’t still a top tier coach has lost their marbles , however there’s a few BUT’S.

I’m still of the belief that the modern game may have moved past him and as he doesn’t take onboard the advice from younger assistant coaches ( hearsay but looks like it too ) he’s still living in the way things were done a decade ago.

His use of the bench is so vastly different to every other side and his failure to fully utilise all 4 players is at times extremely frustrating.

And his failure to at least try younger players ( when the ones he’s choosing are doing no more than plodding along ) is baffling.

If Des could adapt to a mentoring type role ( which he is very very good at ) dealing with recruitment, player welfare / motivation but leave the defence / attack to some dynamic assistants he could easily stay in the role for years to come.

HOWEVER

From what I saw in my days when I was close to the club it’s “ my way or the Highway “ for Des , the moniker “ mad professor “ is exactly what he’s like , and so based on my points above , with a coach who just will not accept change or help then what’s happening now is the result.

I don't hate Dessie .. in fact I am/was a big fan ...

My biggest reason for wanting him gone ... apart from results, apart from the club being a basket case, apart from selections, recruitment, retention etc ... is one simple, over-riding, non negotiable deal breaker ..

... and that is .. that after 4 full years of Des coaching we remain ... A VERY POORLY COACHED FOOTBALL TEAM .... our structures and patterns and composure under stress are abominable ...
I get your point .

I do not believe that any Manly person hates Des or any player

We just hate losing

In 2021 when we made the top 4 , We made it on the back of Tom Turbo and when the smart coaches found a way to stop Turbo they stopped Manly and Des could not find a way to over come this

Reports of Hasler personally training him now says to me that he is on board.
Or that, much like with his use of player questionnaires (Question 1. Would you rate Des Hasler's performance as head coach as excellent, or really truly excellent? Question 2. How much do you love being coached by Des? (a) A lot. (b) Heaps. (c) Very much. (d) All of the above.), Des is attempting to use the players as bargaining chips in his quest for a contract extension.

Or that, much like with his use of player questionnaires (Question 1. Would you rate Des Hasler's performance as head coach as excellent, or really truly excellent? Question 2. How much do you love being coached by Des? (a) A lot. (b) Heaps. (c) Very much. (d) All of the above.), Des is attempting to use the players as bargaining chips in his quest for a contract extension.
If the players were winning for him his bargaining chip would be much higher

Doesn't read.to me he has an issue with Des. Our current coach could be Bert and Ernie , and Woodsies problem would be the same.

This isn't a Des thing. This is a after 4 years, any coach in our current situation would be under pressure given ALL the circumstances.

Particularly because it's Des that crafted the playing group, his fitness and coaching staff, structures etc.

How come you're not getting that ?
To be the Devil's advocate here ,Its a bit hard to craft a team when the top 3 are already here taking up the majority of cap space.
I feel poor Dessies hands were tied somewhat !

To be the Devil's advocate here ,Its a bit hard to craft a team when the top 3 are already here taking up the majority of cap space.
I feel poor Dessies hands were tied somewhat !
The fact is thought
Des still underachieved with the playing roster he had

Notwithstanding that you have nailed your opinion to the mast of that other luminary Rothbooze ... I am of the opinion that losing 3 players of the calibre of Tedesco, Tupou and Crichton for the game ... without replacement ... had a much greater effect ...

The sin bins were pretty even ...
Rothbooze? No idea what you are on about. My point was simply that if the Chooks hadn't lost their heads I think they would have beaten Souths. Whatever.
As for your view that Desie turns the other cheek and coaches non-aggression... that's a weird one. I'm sure he coaches the players to try to be disciplined and not give away stupid penalties but that's hardly the same thing.

So there would have been no problem bringing the 2 squads back together the week after one of the squads had ended Manly's season by sitting out a must-win game?
They should have been straight back to top form and cohesion, even though suddenly there was stuff all to play for, not to mention any misgivings about each other from the 2 squads.
Bit harsh to pin the failures post jerseygate on the coach, the damage had been done and it was very significant damage.
Just my opinion of course.

So there would have been no problem bringing the 2 squads back together the week after one of the squads had ended Manly's season by sitting out a must-win game?
They should have been straight back to top form and cohesion, even though suddenly there was stuff all to play for, not to mention any misgivings about each other from the 2 squads.
Bit harsh to pin the failures post jerseygate on the coach, the damage had been done and it was very significant damage.
Just my opinion of course.
That was his job and only his and, I believe, he failed in a way that Bellamy and Robinson and Bennett would not have. But I also think that those three would be aware enough of what was happening in the club overall that the jersey would not have come as a surprise.
Sometimes the whole unapproachable mad professor schtick works against him. Lately, I would say that is the case more often than not.

But I also think that those three would be aware enough of what was happening in the club overall that the jersey would not have come as a surprise.
So you think Des dropped the ball in jerseygate by not being up to date on every single aspect of the clubs operations? Maybe you're right, but that's the first time I've ever heard that criticism of him, usually its the opposite and he's getting criticised for wanting to know and control everything!

That was his job and only his and, I believe, he failed in a way that Bellamy and Robinson and Bennett would not have.
All just a matter of opinion, but as an example see BBQgate last year. Once a club is rocked by a bunch of players scuttling the club's semi-final ambitions in one fell swoop, I'm not sure if a combined Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger, Belichick Lombardi and Ron Barassi could get them back on track!.
Typically every year a team is struggling to keep afloat and when their chance is realistically extinguished their form drops away. They simply don't have the same motivation.

Anyway you might be correct and if we get a new coach, that's fine with me. I won't veto it :)

You seem to think every thing is just rosy ... in all your "save Dessie" posts you seem to skip over the fact that after 4 years of Dessie's way ... the entire club is a basket case .... exactly the same as it was at the Bulldogs after 5 years of Dessie's way ....
And exactly the same basket case since the late 80s……quit blaming Des for our administrations lack of sensibility! As I said they’ve been a basket case since the late 80s not just since Des was here. PS the Bulldogs were a basket case before Des got there!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12