[Resurrected] SACK Des Hasler!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Rothbooze? No idea what you are on about. My point was simply that if the Chooks hadn't lost their heads I think they would have beaten Souths. Whatever.
As for your view that Desie turns the other cheek and coaches non-aggression... that's a weird one. I'm sure he coaches the players to try to be disciplined and not give away stupid penalties but that's hardly the same thing.

Rothbooze also blamed the loss on JHW and Radley ...

It's all in the delivery ... you say we are coached to be disciplined and not give away stupid penalties .. fair enough ... that's a nice life's goal ...

And I say winning the forward battle and dominating the middle is well worth a couple of "stupid" penalties and a set of beer steins .... everyday of the week .. and if you don't have one big Mungo doing it ... you will probably finish 11th or worse ...

The fact is thought
Des still underachieved with the playing roster he had
And you blame Des totally? So he coaches them, trains them, gives them a game plan, gives directions, training sessions seem great, yet game day it falls to pieces….what else is he supposed to do if the playing group don’t follow what he’s asked them to do on the field? Des is not out on the field dropping balls, missing tackles, slow play the balls!!!!!

And exactly the same basket case since the late 80s……quit blaming Des for our administrations lack of sensibility! As I said they’ve been a basket case since the late 80s not just since Des was here. PS the Bulldogs were a basket case before Des got there!

Yeah, you are correct ... nothing is Dessie's fault ... he just keeps being in the wrong place at the wrong time .....

And you blame Des totally? So he coaches them, trains them, gives them a game plan, gives directions, training sessions seem great, yet game day it falls to pieces….what else is he supposed to do if the playing group don’t follow what he’s asked them to do on the field? Des is not out on the field dropping balls, missing tackles, slow play the balls!!!!!

If by some miracle you are correct, and Dessie IS giving them outstanding coaching and game plans , but the players don't follow what he has asked them to do .. Isn't that in itself a catastrophic failure of coaching ?

Are you saying that He's had 4 years to work out which players will/can do what he is asking .... and done nothing about it ? ... and you want to keep him doing it for another 2 years ?

PSS .. In the interest of full disclosure, I don't think that any of the above is true ....

How about 21, 22, 23, 24, 25? When the role of mentor and chief motivator should have been at the forefront.

Those rounds, pretty much the entire starting backline, and half the forward pack were gone, I didn’t go into any of those games expecting a great result, some of those games turned out better than I expected (Parra for example we competed well for 60), some came out worse than expected, (ending of the Titans game)

People can say injuries are just an excuse, to some extent they are correct, but look at the impact on Melbourne’s season they had, flying halfway through to out the back door of the 4 and then the comp. The stats on availability of the squads in the finals last week showed just how important being fit is at the back end of the season. Below is near a starting 13 that we had unavailable, outside of the halves we were hammered

Tom
Garrick
Parker
Harper
Saab
Aloiai
Lawton
Paseka
Keppie
Jake

To be the Devil's advocate here ,Its a bit hard to craft a team when the top 3 are already here taking up the majority of cap space.
I feel poor Dessies hands were tied somewhat !

Yep, you are spot on here, and I agree.

Tom - if he's on the field - value for money.
Jake - okay, probably overpaid - my suggestion has been to extend him 3 years, but reduce the average cap hit on these final two to compensate.
DCE - I know the media BS about dollars (Anthony Watmough's contract was sent to me remember), so I DO hope he took a heavily reduced extension - possibly on 700k or something.

Taupau being gone has freed $800k odd. Then add Walker, Foz (combined another $800k). Plus parts in Taufua, Boyle, Davey (possibly another $400k).

If you take a fair bit of that maybe happening, he has the ability to re-tool and invest for need.

2011 premiership was a massive debacle was it bud??? He may have left but it wouldn't have happened if the club didn't try to lowball him and then stuff him around in 2010

Honestly mate, I didn't like the way he was involved with Greenburg, with those dodgy emails that were leaked, where they were conniving together to break a contract. Also hated how he took Hopoate with him. That said, it brought us Tooves, and I thought he did an amazing job.

Still waiting waiting waiting for someone/anyone from the sack Des team... which experienced Coach is coming here to put this club back on its feet seeing you claim Des has destroyed it? I have asked many on here straight up that same question... crickets so far. Given the supposed nature of this club with warring factions, an owner that couldn't care less about the Club itself but more about the dollars and the ability to be the unchallenged Chieftain, a new CEO inexperienced in the Rugby League world, a supposedly divided playing roster, no remaining support staff - he will have to put together his own support team there will need to be an uber experienced coach to come in and sort out this "mess". Because no way in heck a green newby could take on this challenge - just who is this saviour??? Someone please help to set my mind at ease? Thanks so much.

Honestly mate, I didn't like the way he was involved with Greenburg, with those dodgy emails that were leaked, where they were conniving together to break a contract. Also hated how he took Hopoate with him. That said, it brought us Tooves, and I thought he did an amazing job.
Just to clarify that point mate, Hopoate signed with Parramatta before he left and didn’t start with the Dogs til 2016

K
Oh Des has a hand in this - absolutely but he didn't have a hand in all the injuries nor I am guessing the fact we haven't had a CEO most of the year or owner who is invested in the club or I gather nothing to do with the Gay Pride Boycott 10 shambles. And given the key injuries in that list above and adding Aloiai - that is a fair chunk of our decent cattle missing for significant time this year. That is extremely hard to overcome BUT we were on track until the jersey shambles and the wheels fell off and again not sure you can blame Des. I was not a fan of him coming back - to me he knifed us and I have never forgotten that and will never forget that. But he is a very good coach. He is abrasive and not great at man management with the Club and owners but I guess the players generally love him. Now when we have had a bit of luck with injuries Hasler has taken us deep into the semis and with some luck we could have been in a GF the year of the Jake sinbinning. Anyway - I would guess right now there is not much market for Des but 6 months ago there would have been a significant market.. all the jobs are pretty much filled now.

I’d like to see Seibold given a chance with Glenn Stewart as forwards coach and maybe Brett as a backs coach, maybe Jamie could be encouraged to put his hand up. I’ve stood on the hill for the past few years and haven’t seen a game plan of any sort, and why hasn’t DCE been told about his deficiencies.

Des has coached us to two finals appearances in four seasons including a top 4 finish last year and was in the eight this year until pride saga and injuries de railed us.

Why is he under any pressure at all or is he not and it is just that he wants an extension ? Why wouldn’t we give him at least one year extension with the above results.

Who are we going to replace him with ? Trent Barrett, Garth Brennan, Nathan Brown.

Or an untried coach.

I don’t get it

I’d like to see Seibold given a chance with Glenn Stewart as forwards coach and maybe Brett as a backs coach, maybe Jamie could be encouraged to put his hand up. I’ve stood on the hill for the past few years and haven’t
Thanks - at least someone has given me one answer. I appreciate the input. He was a disaster at the Broncos... so not sure he will be any better than Des but he does have some experience... not a great outcome but still yes he could be a consideration. I am pretty sure there is no way he would come here... he was absolutely shellshocked at the Broncos and was run out of town and therefore I can't see him at any stage taking on this supposed basket case of a club especially with warring factions. I must say I have not thought the team plays without a game plan or structure... my view has generally been that the players make dumb decisions by not holding the ball, making a stupid pass.. rushing up out of the line to destroy that play and as a result ruin the game plan and attacking/defensive structures. Now do I think Des' bench strategy at times is poor and do I think he keeps picking plodders - yes but I think his game plans and structures are absolutely fine.

Des has coached us to two finals appearances in four seasons including a top 4 finish last year and was in the eight this year until pride saga and injuries de railed us.

Why is he under any pressure at all or is he not and it is just that he wants an extension ? Why wouldn’t we give him at least one year extension with the above results.

Who are we going to replace him with ? Trent Barrett, Garth Brennan, Nathan Brown.

Or an untried coach.

I don’t get it
Thank you Jen... me either!

.what else is he supposed to do if the playing group don’t follow what he’s asked them to do on the field? Des is not out on the field dropping balls, missing tackles, slow play the balls!!!!!
First of all I want to make this clear

I love All Manly Legends like Des that have made Manly Great

And it is sad to see a Des Hasler coached team badly underperform and miss the finals
It is sad to see a Des Hasler coach team not being able to compete with a top 8 team
It is sad to see a Des Hasler coach team Earn the name Flack Track Bullies a Team who dominates inferior opposition, but who cannot beat top-level opponents

what else is he supposed to do if the playing group don’t follow what he’s asked them to do on the field? You ask ?

All Great leaders have the ability to lead , inspire and ,lift their followers to greatness
And there was nothing great about Manly in 2022 sadly feathered friend

And dont start on any excuses
Because excuses are the father of Mediocrity
and the Mother of all Incompetencies

Jake - okay, probably overpaid - my suggestion has been to extend him 3 years, but reduce the average cap hit on these final two to compensate.
DCE - I know the media BS about dollars (Anthony Watmough's contract was sent to me remember), so I DO hope he took a heavily reduced extension - possibly on 700k or something.

Taupau being gone has freed $800k odd. Then add Walker, Foz (combined another $800k). Plus parts in Taufua, Boyle, Davey (possibly another $400k).

If you take a fair bit of that maybe happening, he has the ability to re-tool and invest for need.
Think the number would be closer to a $mil for Walker & Foz. $550K for Taufua, Boyle & Davey (think Davey alone was $280K, Taufua $120K then what Boyle was on) So it would be good to know where the $2.2 mil was spent for next year?

We can't blame Des for the fact that the administration for our NRL Club has been completely dysfunctional for years. Neither can we blame him for Rainbowgate or the pre-existing split in the player's group. He shouldn't carry ANY responsibility for those issues.

However, he needs to take sole responsibility for a myriad of other issues. Eg, Team selection, Bench use, Picking injured players (see team selection), Team fitness, Outdated game analysis, Training Load issues (read training injuries, and also see team fitness), Player management issues, etc., etc., etc

These issues (and others not listed) are long-standing and, in many cases, down to Des's stubbornness. He consistently has shown an inability to move forward with his coaching philosophies, let alone his coaching techniques, to better suit the modern game.

MWSE does need a succession plan. This shouldn't be dictated solely by Des. He is not the MWSE Messiah that many of his disciples on here blindly believe that he is.

However, now is not the time to force him out the door. Surely, now is the time for the powers that be (including Des) to find a workable solution that is focused on returning MWSE to its rightful place at the top of the NRL. Whether this takes two years or five years, the strategy needs to be developed and implemented now.

Yet here we are with only one mid level signing, got a feeling some of our magnificent 7 got good $ top ups.

I’d like to see Seibold given a chance with Glenn Stewart as forwards coach and maybe Brett as a backs coach, maybe Jamie could be encouraged to put his hand up. I’ve stood on the hill for the past few years and haven’t seen a game plan of any sort, and why hasn’t DCE been told about his deficiencies.
Seibold, the last I saw him he was on a betting ad giving his opinions on who you should punt on. No thanks..

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8