[Resurrected] SACK Des Hasler!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
You have to give Zoolander some credit for the edge defense today that was probably his idea.
I am happy @Damien2812 to give TB credit for delegating today's defensive strategy to the Bulldogs defensive coach. That's about as much credit that I can give him without vomiting in my mouth. I feel dirty just saying that
😉😎😁

I wonder what we would be saying if Hasler was successful in stealing jurbo and turbo to the dogs in 2012?
Obviously had no chance but..

I'll put my hand up that I lost faith after the Round 4 loss. Des' selections in the first four rounds had me completely baffled. I'm glad injuries forced him to pick our best 17 but I shudder to think how this side would have gone if Harper, Olakau'atu and Schuster weren't picked when they were.

I'll put my hand up that I lost faith after the Round 4 loss. Des' selections in the first four rounds had me completely baffled. I'm glad injuries forced him to pick our best 17 but I shudder to think how this side would have gone if Harper, Olakau'atu and Schuster weren't picked when they were.
I'm pretty sure that Des was well aware of the talent each of those players possess. After all, Schuster and Olakau'at extended before round four. Then there is Harper - a player Des poached from the dogs. Considering how tired all three have appeared in recent weeks - it's a coaching masterstroke that they weren't picked earlier.

I'm pretty sure that Des was well aware of the talent each of those players possess. After all, Schuster and Olakau'at extended before round four. Then there is Harper - a player Des poached from the dogs. Considering how tired all three have appeared in recent weeks - it's a coaching masterstroke that they weren't picked earlier.
That's one way of looking at it....
Masterstroke or dumb luck? I know which one you believe.

That's one way of looking at it....
Masterstroke or dumb luck? I know which one you believe.
Des Hasler coaching record
  • 2 premierships
  • 5 Grand Finals
  • 15 Finals series

The Who
- Nada, zilch, zero

Despicable (your name for him) v The Who
- Mercy rule quickly invoked to spare a sausage roll eater from certain death.

Dumb luck? Sure thing.

Again conjecture at its very best. You see it one way having limited facts and with those exact same facts I see it another.

You say injuries forced his hand and turned our season.

I say he probably looked at the draw for those first 4 weeks and knowing Tom was out considered

1. what possible mental damage could be done against such good sides to the young saviours you speak of. Big losses can stunt a young players ability to cope with the step up.
2. The young saviours had no real experience In FG or any reserve game time so were mostlikly unprepared to face a Penrith, roosters or souths.
3. The old heads while coming off a run of poor form were expendable. They could take some hammerings and it didn't really matter.

I could go on but hopefully you get my point.

I'm probably wrong and so are you and its probably something in the middle but to say the only reason we are where we are now is because injury forced Des's hand is ludicrous.

Again conjecture at its very best. You see it one way having limited facts and with those exact same facts I see it another.

You say injuries forced his hand and turned our season.

I say he probably looked at the draw for those first 4 weeks and knowing Tom was out considered

1. what possible mental damage could be done against such good sides to the young saviours you speak of. Big losses can stunt a young players ability to cope with the step up.
2. The young saviours had no real experience In FG or any reserve game time so were mostlikly unprepared to face a Penrith, roosters or souths.
3. The old heads while coming off a run of poor form were expendable. They could take some hammerings and it didn't really matter.

I could go on but hopefully you get my point.

I'm probably wrong and so are you and its probably something in the middle but to say the only reason we are where we are now is because injury forced Des's hand is ludicrous.
To say injury forced Des' hand is just a simple fact of how things played out. The players being picked ahead of Harper, Schuster, and Olakau'atu were only not picked ahead of them right after they were injured, and they haven't been in front of them since.

I do agree with you that there's definitely a lot more to the story than anything you or I know, and many of the factors you have suggested may well have been in Des' thinking. All I know is that our best 17 was not being picked (Turbo injury obviously aside) until much later in the year and many of us were bewildered by that. The omission of Harper was the one that pissed me off the most, he was our best player at the end of last year.

I will put my hand up and say i was wrong about Des. I wasnt basing it just on the first four games but also the way we finished the last.

I am glad we have turned it around. For him.. the players and the staff. I do believe he had a bit of fortune with the injuries forcing him to make these changes maybe earlier than he had wanted even. Who knows if he would have changed it in round 5 or 10.

Shuster Guacamole Harper Sipley Keppie all came into the side and gave them a huge lift. Tom came back and sparked the backline into life.

Des, however, didnt lose belief.. look at his interview after round 3-4. I didnt have that belief... not many did. If we were coaches we would of failed and come last. But he believed in them and they believed in themselves.

I still think the team he picked in the first four rounds was a horrible line up.. but which ever way you want to believe it... its working out well now!

Des Hasler coaching record
  • 2 premierships
  • 5 Grand Finals
  • 15 Finals series

The Who
- Nada, zilch, zero

Despicable (your name for him) v The Who
- Mercy rule quickly invoked to spare a sausage roll eater from certain death.

Dumb luck? Sure thing.
I coined the DESpicable moniker after he sold out in 2011 to the Dogs'. It's now almost a decade old. I've not forgotten, but I can forgive.

Schuster played 65 minutes of first grade last year & suffered a season ending injury in that game.

No way was he ready for first grade in round 1.

Olakau'atu was named on the extended bench for round 1 then suffered a dislocated elbow playing for BWSE the very next day.

As soon as he recovered he was named on the bench.

So he wasn't available for games 2 through 5 or 6.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11