[Resurrected] SACK Des Hasler!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
So no criticism of Scott Fulton or any of the Fulton’s roles in the current malaise?
No I leave that to @ReadingThePlay no seriously of course move them on also but the two I mentioned only got rehired because of Des and none of them should have ever been let back in the club after going to the dogs.

This was always ending in tears just a matter of when it was a remarriage of convenience from both parties (Des and Penn) and neither have any love for the club it's all about themselves.

He signed well before our season was over in secret talks with Greenburg. That's a handy excuse from him, but he left us with a heap of back ended contracts that the board won't let happen again, then did the same with the dogs and they are only now recovering from that debacle.
Didn‘t he try to squeeze the club for more coin before leaving and did it knowing he was leveraging off the fact he had the option to go to the dogs.

Just wondering which young players should have got a run and when... based on Weekes last night showing he isn't a number 1... well certainly far from it at the moment. Koula... got his run played well and faded out, Tippytoes got his run and faded out...just which young players in red hot form in other grades deserved a run?
I'll use hamoule as one example... Des used to pick Morgan Boyle ahead of this guy and even after mom performances when he did get a jersey (due to numerous injuries) he still didn't pick him regularly!
Look how des utilises his bench... basically picks one or 2 players that get circa 10 minutes... is our team that fit that it justifies this?
I cannot comment on weekes as I didn't watch the game, but most reports suggest he did quite well for his first up full start....

Walker Brothers (Manly DNA) -

yes one played for us. These guys would be my choice for assistant rolls.

I would love to see this personally but probably won’t happen. When we have our strike players available we have a lot of strike and some unorthodox ideas could be the key to mixing things up to take it to the top 8 sides.

Just don’t know how/if Des would work with any of these ideas.

We are very predictable and have no real plan B to turn to when we struggle against the better teams.

They’ve always had each other’s backs, what else would you expect him to say.
Foz isn't the only one to praise Des before. Here's a comment from Michael Ennis in 2019

"He's got this unique way of being able to turn the whole competition against your club, where he instils this belief in amongst the group that no one rates them,"​
"He builds this belief in his players through this incredible defensive system that he has and the backbone of it all his work ethic
"When you're under Des' regime, you can try and surprise him and get to the club at half-past six in the morning but he's already there, and he never ever leaves before the players do. Then that work ethic becomes infectious in the group. [it hasn’t become infectious in our group because we don’t have the right core playing group]​

Defence was always a hallmark of Des coached teams but this playing group has shown time and time again that they aren't built for that. They crumble.

The 7 players have already exposed that the playing group is still not there yet in terms of personalities and committment. To write off Des Hasler's coaching credibility despite recent success with him just seems impulsive to me.

Here's another from Ennis that did infact point out his time at the dogs had run dry, but he still lists many positive things about him that suggests he has the ingredients, just not the right audience;
“I would’ve liked to see Ivan Cleary go to the Bulldogs and Des Hasler go to the Wests Tigers when all that happened,” the veteran dummy half said.​
“I think the Wests Tigers – at that stage coming off the Jason Taylor tenure – I thought the Tigers, with that young group of players, could’ve really developed under Des.​
“With how good he is with putting structure and discipline and process in place"​
“I thought they ran a bit dry at Canterbury and it was time to go.​

So yes, Des can 'go stale', but the problem isn't that he's a bad coach. We weren't stale 8 weeks ago.

Weed out the players that are uninterested (at least Taupau out is a good start) and freshen the place up without tearing down its foundations. We need some new players who will return the loyalty Des shows them. Des, however, does need to accept that new coaching staff are needed to to keep the place fresh.

I don't want to see us become one of the 6 or so bottom 8 teams recycling our head coache for fun, losing their identity along the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll use hamoule as one example... Des used to pick Morgan Boyle ahead of this guy and even after mom performances when he did get a jersey (due to numerous injuries) he still didn't pick him regularly!
Look how des utilises his bench... basically picks one or 2 players that get circa 10 minutes... is our team that fit that it justifies this?
I cannot comment on weekes as I didn't watch the game, but most reports suggest he did quite well for his first up full start....
Haumole was injured and had a smashed elbow lol. You actually need to earn a first grade start not get it because you are young and promising! Weekes I think will be a super player but he aint a fullback... certainly not at this stage. He dropped the bomb which led to the win last night and in the first half which was the half i watched he didn't drop the bomb... because he was so confused and never got a hand to it because he didn't know where the ball was. I certainly agree with Des poor in my opinion bench rotation. But again the question was.. which young players should have been blooded. Again I agree with you on Weekes but he played 5/8 in the trials and looked good... you just dont put Foran out.. our best player all year just to give someone a run.

No dreaming needed Des is done just about when could be next week could be round 10 next season but get your head around Des is finished will not get an extension and his yes man are getting punted.
Last good player Cleal signed was Lyon he deserves the boot and Donny should be punted as our players are unfit.
These two slinked back into the club with Des after giving us the middle finger on their way to the dogs.

No tears with those two getting the bullet.
lol lol lol yawnn

Foz isn't the only one to praise Des before. Here's a comment from Michael Ennis in 2019

"He's got this unique way of being able to turn the whole competition against your club, where he instils this belief in amongst the group that no one rates them,"​
"He builds this belief in his players through this incredible defensive system that he has and the backbone of it all is his work ethic [aka playing group**].​
"When you're under Des' regime, you can try and surprise him and get to the club at half-past six in the morning but he's already there, and he never ever leaves before the players do. Then that work ethic becomes infectious in the group.​

Defence was always a hallmark of Des coached teams but this playing group has shown time and time again that they aren't built for that. They crumble.

The 7 players have already exposed that the playing group is still not there yet in terms of personalities and committment. To write off Des Hasler's coaching credibility despite recent success with him just seems impulsive to me.

Here's another from Ennis that did infact point out his time at the dogs had run dry, but he still lists many positive things about him that suggests he has the ingredients, just not the right audience;
“I would’ve liked to see Ivan Cleary go to the Bulldogs and Des Hasler go to the Wests Tigers when all that happened,” the veteran dummy half said.​
“I think the Wests Tigers – at that stage coming off the Jason Taylor tenure – I thought the Tigers, with that young group of players, could’ve really developed under Des.​
“With how good he is with putting structure and discipline and process in place"​
“I thought they ran a bit dry at Canterbury and it was time to go.​

So yes, Des can 'go stale', but the problem isn't that he's a bad coach. We weren't stale 8 weeks ago.

Weed out the players that are uninterested (at least Taupau out is a good start) and freshen the place up without tearing down its foundations. We need some new players who will return the loyalty Des shows them. Des, however, does need to accept that new coaching staff are needed to to keep the place fresh.

I don't want to see us become one of the 6 or so bottom 8 teams recycling our head coache for fun, losing their identity along the way.
He's done and the sooner we move on from des 2.0 the better. He has not improved us as a club since his return.

Remember it's a result driven business.

Last edited:
If our coach loves the club as much as all these commentators say he does why did he leave to coach the dogs?
Because when your boss or bosses are complete cockwombles who lie, deceive, stab each other in the back, conveniently misplace the bag of gold when it suits them and have only self interest its sometimes better to walk away.

Its a bit like an affair I suppose (I've never actually had one for the record). The wife or husband at home is busting your balls or you just can't get on anymore and all of a sudden you have a good looker stroll in and show you the love and adoration you are craving and before you know it.... boom... you wake up in another bed thinking the world is good again. Of course not all that shines is gold and sometimes the gold bar is actually a polished turd and you end up going back to a bad situation regardless.

Al la Desmond and the return of the king...... sorry had to put the pun in im sure some of you will remember that poster?

He's done and the sooner we move on from des 2.0 the better. He has not improved us as a club since his return.

Remember it's a result driven business.

Yes he did get us to PF last year but that's on the back of one player.
I think you will find any result in football is on the back of one or more players is it not?

Would Bellyache been as successful if it wasn't for Smith, cronk and slater? NO!

Robinson - Teddy and co - NO

Wayne @ the Broncs - the QLD origin side - Hell No.

A coach works with what they have at their disposal. Simple.

Look at Madge. World beater right? NO. He had GI , Burgess and Reynolds. Won a premiership and has now done sweet FA at a different side.

Des had Tommy. 2021 was led by Tom and held up by the squad. Team effort.

Exactly - there is no replacement coach out there of any quality or in fact a better quality than Des who is available and will come to Manly - the sooner people on here realise that the better for all. People on here need to stop dreaming... focus on reality. Better to try and dream some new players.... because that will be where there will be significant changes.... not the head coach,
Mate. If people on hear started looking at hard facts and stopped dreaming this place would cease to operate. Would only be a handful of people left.

He signed well before our season was over in secret talks with Greenburg. That's a handy excuse from him, but he left us with a heap of back ended contracts that the board won't let happen again, then did the same with the dogs and they are only now recovering from that debacle.
I don't really see your point. He left because of the board. The board was in 2 halves each backing a co owner trying the screw the pooch of the other guy.

Had he stayed we would have had at least 1 more premiership or even more and no amount of back ended contracts would have mattered.

You as an employee would not accept that workplace and neither did he.

Didn‘t he try to squeeze the club for more coin before leaving and did it knowing he was leveraging off the fact he had the option to go to the dogs.
Ah hello. Thats called business and getting the best contract value available.

No way you sittingbin an interview would not try to better your pay packet if possible.

I can also cherrypick examples to suit my narrative. Young hoppa is a good one. Every man and his dog was calling him as our great hope in 2020. He got his chance and the gold bar promised was actually a polished turd....

Just throwing it out there but did you notice Haumole wasn't really considered for FG till he signed an extension till 2024. If we had put the beast into the shop window before tying him up he would be long gone.

I don't really see your point. He left because of the board. The board was in 2 halves each backing a co owner trying the screw the pooch of the other guy.

Had he stayed we would have had at least 1 more premiership or even more and no amount of back ended contracts would have mattered.

You as an employee would not accept that workplace and neither did he.

Ah hello. Thats called business and getting the best contract value available.

No way you sittingbin an interview would not try to better your pay packet if possible.

I can also cherrypick examples to suit my narrative. Young hoppa is a good one. Every man and his dog was calling him as our great hope in 2020. He got his chance and the gold bar promised was actually a polished turd....

Just throwing it out there but did you notice Haumole wasn't really considered for FG till he signed an extension till 2024. If we had put the beast into the shop window before tying him up he would be long gone.

You know you can quote each poster and do one reply if you wanna save time and not make 4-5 new posts?

Up to you, I certainly don't mind. Just a PSA.

This message will del in 5-10 mins (or after lunch)

Just like this as an example.

Mate. If people on hear started looking at hard facts and stopped dreaming this place would cease to operate. Would only be a handful of people left.
Yes and this site would be renamed Silvertools instead of Silvertails. :p Literally what would be the point of coming on here, if we were all limited to hard facts and logical answers. Imagine some of our more notable posters having to post within those boundaries. :eek:Perspective time @Eagle of London

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
9 7 2 72 16
8 7 1 56 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10