Say NO to Idris

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think that Massouds logic is that the big fella lives in Manly and that we logically will try to get him. He can be a destructive player on his day but for me 3 clubs in 5 years suggests that he doesnt settle well. I think for now he needs to get his life in order before he thinks of football.

I was watching ch7 all day i didn't hear anything mentioned on idris.
7 News Sydney Sports segment had the visuals and Massoud's report.

Both the Titans and Penrith have tried to help Idris, but it's a life term challenge for some.

I don't hold with the view that an employer is responsible for someone with personal issues. As there are plenty of government and private services that are set up for Idris to address his. @:cool:

Manly had Matt Cross retire early, as he was overwhelmed with the mental stress of being a Professional Athlete.

Last edited:
At first I thought no way but I have to say after thinking about it I wouldn't mind him as back up.

No other clubs will take him on which means his price is driven down..... So let's say we pick him up for 150k a season for 2 seasons, not risking to much and who knows he may show some of his potential here.

At first I thought no way but I have to say after thinking about it I wouldn't mind him as back up.

No other clubs will take him on which means his price is driven down..... So let's say we pick him up for 150k a season for 2 seasons, not risking to much and who knows he may show some of his potential here.
There is a headcount limit, so his annual stints away from the game will mean that his Club is one man short.
Both Penrith and Manly have serious injury lists, so having an injury prone and emotionally unreliable Player is a huge risk.

$150k is too much, at best Idris will command a second tier contract,

That seems a touch harsh to me

He has documented mental health issues(due to his upbringing) - I would rather the NRL finds a way to accomodate him rather than wash it hands of him

I'm somewhat doubtful he will ever settle into another team without constant support and even then it will be a struggle.
It's so much bigger than we envisage and I agree that the NRL or the RLPA should back him. It should come under the heading of duty of care.
Hope he gets the support he deserves.

Do you recall when the Gold Coke signed Idris and there was so much positive publicity? He was the 'king of the kids' who would not only help win matches but boost membership. It was similar rhetoric when he joined the 'Riff.
Idris is still very young and I'm not prepared to write him off as a footballer and a player who can become a cult figure for youngsters. Provided he was cleared by medical and mental health experts I'd be very happy to have him in our squad.

doesntmatta might,they are trying to buy everyone lately,uncle Brad will look after him@:p@:D@:eek:@:oops:

I'm somewhat doubtful he will ever settle into another team without constant support and even then it will be a struggle.
It's so much bigger than we envisage and I agree that the NRL or the RLPA should back him. It should come under the heading of duty of care.
Hope he gets the support he deserves.

Agree

I am not across AFL but do they seem to do a better job of helping indigenous players adjust to the environment?

Do you recall when the Gold Coke signed Idris and there was so much positive publicity? He was the 'king of the kids' who would not only help win matches but boost membership. It was similar rhetoric when he joined the 'Riff.
Idris is still very young and I'm not prepared to write him off as a footballer and a player who can become a cult figure for youngsters. Provided he was cleared by medical and mental health experts I'd be very happy to have him in our squad.
I agree, he is a very dangerous footballer and would make a damaging back rower if we could get him right.

Agree

I am not across AFL but do they seem to do a better job of helping indigenous players adjust to the environment?
I have such little knowledge of AFL it wouldn't be fair of me to make a comment...although I do get the impression that they seem to be more proactive about such things. I'd like to think all professional sports are becoming more aware.

• 👍
Reactions: lsz
Putting Idris to one side for the moment - I'm worried that Manly could be considering signing Sandow!

This too is worrying me ,I was starting to come to the opinion that no news is good news & the club has it all under control (signs Dce & Sam Burgess ,fingers crossed ) ,But if Sandow signed FMD ,I'd be gutted.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6