SeaEagles v Souths @Brookie Rd7 Game day thread #GoManly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

pick the Margin

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was just looking at the possible teams for the day and there's some definite advantages for us through the centres, Matai and Lyon v Goodwin and Farrell.

I think the rabbits may try and offer assistance to Farrell and Goodwin to restrict Lyon and Matai, which could open up some space just inside or outside them, so the Wolf and Jorge or Snake and Watmough/Horo could take advantage of it. Then again, a nice inside pass to Foran, with Snake as a foil on the outside, may also prove costly for the rabbits.

In the forwards it's just going to be an arm wrestle and on paper, there's not much between the sides. The rabbits probably have some slightly more creative players in Luke, Burgess (Sam) and Te'o compared to our forwards (if you exclude Gift), who tend to have more strength up the middle for metres on their own. I think the rabbits forwards mentioned are more likely to look for an offload, which is good when it works, but also leads to mistakes, whereas we tend to take the less mistake options.

The kicking game will definitely be vital in this match and Jorge and Wolf will have to be very conscious of the 40:20 after last weekend's rep game, with Reynolds two 40:20's.

Apart from maybe one or two kicks under pressure, Reynolds kicking game was superb, so maybe 2V will use one nominated forward to hound him (or Foran) and put pressure on the kick. I'm sure they'll try and do the same with DCE, probably through Luke or Crocker.

The rabbits can lack discipline and don't hold their line all the time, which could lead to gaps for Choc and a (Oh F..k no!) flick/pass/toss as he bounces across the field, inside or outside, that may just work!

Flanagan obviously worked out during half time that up the middle, Manly is basically a no go zone for points, but out wide there are more chances, albeit only 2 tries (apart from the catch and run from a kick), so I expect Jorge will be targeted by Reynolds but more so the Wolf, as it's Inglis' preferred side and Merritt will be there as well.

DCE and Foran's kicking game is going to have to be right on the money, as is the kick chase to limit Inglis and his wingers' room. If you negate Inglis space, he becomes less of a threat, but it is also tinged with danger, as he is a marvel at getting his hands free to offload to his support, you need players also inside and outside, almost a complete line.

I'm not totally sure where we will win it, but I favour more Lyon and Matai's dominance over their opposing centres than anywhere else.

Looking forward to Brookie Friday for rabbit stew. Will be a tough game.

Our forwards will need to step up against their pack.

torana355 said:
If we can control Reynolds we win the game, it is that simple. I know its cliche but i think we are due for a loss so we has better bring our A game.
It is that simple . We contained the top Tiger benji Marshall and made him look like a pussy cat not so long ago when his team failed to score a point against us .
What more can Toovey and the boys do for us to have faith in our team ? Walk on water ?

I just can't wait for the Friday Night crowd at Brookie. The crowds at Brookie on a Friday Night always seem to have that little extra 'spice' in them, alot noisier and more fortress/battle-ground like.

ManlyArmy said:
I just can't wait for the Friday Night crowd at Brookie. The crowds at Brookie on a Friday Night always seem to have that little extra 'spice' in them, alot noisier and more fortress/battle-ground like.

Should do a march bro

rmd said:
I was just looking at the possible teams for the day and there's some definite advantages for us through the centres, Matai and Lyon v Goodwin and Farrell.

I think the rabbits may try and offer assistance to Farrell and Goodwin to restrict Lyon and Matai, which could open up some space just inside or outside them, so the Wolf and Jorge or Snake and Watmough/Horo could take advantage of it. Then again, a nice inside pass to Foran, with Snake as a foil on the outside, may also prove costly for the rabbits.

In the forwards it's just going to be an arm wrestle and on paper, there's not much between the sides. The rabbits probably have some slightly more creative players in Luke, Burgess (Sam) and Te'o compared to our forwards (if you exclude Gift), who tend to have more strength up the middle for metres on their own. I think the rabbits forwards mentioned are more likely to look for an offload, which is good when it works, but also leads to mistakes, whereas we tend to take the less mistake options.

The kicking game will definitely be vital in this match and Jorge and Wolf will have to be very conscious of the 40:20 after last weekend's rep game, with Reynolds two 40:20's.

Apart from maybe one or two kicks under pressure, Reynolds kicking game was superb, so maybe 2V will use one nominated forward to hound him (or Foran) and put pressure on the kick. I'm sure they'll try and do the same with DCE, probably through Luke or Crocker.

The rabbits can lack discipline and don't hold their line all the time, which could lead to gaps for Choc and a (Oh F..k no!) flick/pass/toss as he bounces across the field, inside or outside, that may just work!

Flanagan obviously worked out during half time that up the middle, Manly is basically a no go zone for points, but out wide there are more chances, albeit only 2 tries (apart from the catch and run from a kick), so I expect Jorge will be targeted by Reynolds but more so the Wolf, as it's Inglis' preferred side and Merritt will be there as well.

DCE and Foran's kicking game is going to have to be right on the money, as is the kick chase to limit Inglis and his wingers' room. If you negate Inglis space, he becomes less of a threat, but it is also tinged with danger, as he is a marvel at getting his hands free to offload to his support, you need players also inside and outside, almost a complete line.

I'm not totally sure where we will win it, but I favour more Lyon and Matai's dominance over their opposing centres than anywhere else.

Nice write up and general read on the game. I enjoyed reading it.

m.smh.com.au
Where Sea Eagles dare: Manly's 'massive' five-week run will reveal all

APRIL 22, 2013
Michael Carayannis April 23, 2013

Manly have identified an intense five-week period where they play each of their top-four counterparts to gauge their premiership worth, starting when they host South Sydney on Friday night.

And they could be boosted by the return of Glenn Stewart, who is a chance to make his comeback from a serious knee injury in what would be his first appearance of the year. Should he not pass a late week fitness test, Stewart is almost certain to play against St George Illawarra on Monday week.

Sitting second behind Melbourne, Manly have dismissed any doubts surrounding their ageing roster heading into this season. The Sea Eagles played three top-eight teams in their opening six games with their only hiccup a two-point loss to Gold Coast.

Winger David Williams said this next period of football before their round 12 bye was a true test.

''We've got a massive five weeks ahead,'' Williams said. ''It'll be a good challenge and we'll certainly know where we sit. It hasn't been spoken about but I've had a look at it.

''We'll definitely speak about it and everyone knows who we are playing and where they sit [on the ladder] and how tough it is going to be. We haven't been playing our best and we've still got the two points which is a good change because in the past years games we were lacking in a little bit we threw away.''

Williams has overcome a slight back complaint and will play, as will teammate Anthony Watmough who had back tightness after featuring in Australia's 32-12 win against New Zealand on Friday night.

Watmough, who underwent scans on Monday morning, said Souths' monster forward pack had presented his team with their biggest challenge of this season.

''We haven't played easybeats but we haven't played the top teams,'' Watmough said. ''The Rabbitohs are contenders and they have a big pack. Our young boys will get a baptism of fire.''

Watmough said his team had to confront the Rabbitohs head on.

''I don't think I've seen a bigger team,'' Watmough said. ''There should be a weight salary cap - they are massive. Poor little me, they are going to try and run over the top of me.''

Meanwhile, Williams has rejected plans that he would join brother John in early retirement at season's end. The older Williams was forced into retirement at the age of 27 after he was unable to secure a NRL contract despite playing 19 first-grade games for Cronulla last year.

''Not much takes me by surprise these days with the rumour mill but it's not the reality,'' Williams said. ''It's definitely not on the books.''

Williams, 26, who is off contract at the end of this year said he hoped to remain at the club. ''If the game's done with me that will be it, but I'm hoping it's not.''

I'd be hoping that DCE grubbers his kicks, and doesn't try to many chips near their line. Inglis has a knack of plucking them out of the air and running a long way. Make the big unit bend down. Crunch him and put pressure on his sore thigh. I'd think that Toovs will have Foran hounding Reynolds out of the game. Our pack is as good as theirs and maybe more mobile. I expect a big game from Lawrence and the new boys. Getting excited already.

DCE and Foran will need to be on-song with their down field kicks to limit Inglis' kick returns. They were marvellous against the Bulldogs and put in some nice bouncing kicks to slow the ball down and limit Barba's options. It looked as though this was something they had worked on with Andrew Johns. I'm hoping they will have a similar plan on Friday night.

Is Gift playing? If not then who will take his place? Gower?

Inglis, Merritt, Champion, Goodwin, Everingham, Sutton, Reynolds, Tyrrell, Luke, Asotasi, McQueen, Te'o, S Burgess

Extended Bench: Peats, Lima, Lowe, G Burgess, Crocker, Hunt, Clark

RL Gronk said:
ManlyArmy said:

Should do a march bro

I should, the only problem which happened last time was minimal interest.

MANLY TEAM V SOUTHS

1. Brett Stewart 2. Jorge Taufua 3. Jamie Lyon 4. Steve Matai 5. David Williams 6. Kieran Foran 7. Daly Cherry-Evans 8. Brenton Lawrence 9. Matt Ballin 10. Brent Kite 11. Anthony Watmough 12. Justin Horo 13. Tom Symonds
Interchange: 14. Richie Fa'aoso 15. David Gower 16. Jamie Buhrer 17. Jason King

Sea Eagles: 1. Brett Stewart 2. Jorge Taufua 3. Jamie Lyon 4. Steve Matai 5. David Williams 6. Kieran Foran 7. Daly Cherry-Evans 8. Brenton Lawrence 9. Matt Ballin 10. Brent Kite 11. Anthony Watmough 12. Justin Horo 13. Tom Symonds
Interchange: 14. Richie Fa'aoso 15. David Gower 16. Jamie Buhrer 17. Jason King

Members online

No members online now.
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4