Seems the "cleanout" is broader than we think: Now the Angels?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Always respect your thoughts Loobs but in this case I don't think it's about the likes of your daughters. The Angels come from a not-so-long-ago when women didn't have a place in the game, when the big awards night was a male only affair, and a female CEO was unimaginable. These are high powered women in their own right who've given a huge amount to the club and, in my mind, should have earned the respect of any powers that be.
Exactly - Delmege and Kaspersky were brought in by the coroporate connections of the Angels.
All are high achievers in Sport, Media and Corporate Australia and represent the 40% female fan base of the NRL.

Why would a club that is struggling financially (as stated by the owners) get rid of an arm which is making money??
The only rea$on I can $ee making any sway, the only thing that makes $ense, with Joker Penn I$ that they are co$ting money, not making it.

The Eagle Angels are only a huge positive for the club. Surely. Positive publicity, great for the image of the club, fantastic role models, fundraisers, etc, etc. The sort of people that new fans would be drawn in by.

Why?

In the absence of them doing a reverse turn, it's hard to argue against those who say the Penns are seeking to rip the heart out of the club and support base to force a shift and rename of the club.

Always respect your thoughts Loobs but in this case I don't think it's about the likes of your daughters. The Angels come from a not-so-long-ago when women didn't have a place in the game, when the big awards night was a male only affair, and a female CEO was unimaginable. These are high powered women in their own right who've given a huge amount to the club and, in my mind, should have earned the respect of any powers that be.
I get that but to me anyway, that's exactly why they should be on equal footing with all members and levels of the club. If they bring in dollars, then the board and owners should recognise them on par with what anyone else does. I'd like to see us be progressive enough where every contribution is equal and equally respected.

The Eagle Angels are only a huge positive for the club. Surely. Positive publicity, great for the image of the club, fantastic role models, fundraisers, etc, etc. The sort of people that new fans would be drawn in by.

Why?

In the absence of them doing a reverse turn, it's hard to argue against those who say the Penns are seeking to rip the heart out of the club and support base to force a shift and rename of the club.
No, no, not at all. Forward thinking people like ZtH believe being hated by everyone is a much more positive outcome. It makes it much easier to attract new supporters, new sponsors etc.

I mean if seemingly everyone hates you, you must be doing something right. Right?

The whole reason they exist is to bring a sense of pride and fun into the community. That's why we have sporting teams. If they want to treat it as a 100% corporation then people will choose to shop elsewhere.

Kelly said that that current management had met with the Eagles Angels in December 2014.

"The Eagles Angels were impressed that we met with them," Kelly said.

"A select group of Angels were also invited to be our special guests at the Women in League round (in May) at Brookvale Oval but unfortunately declined."

OMG - This says it all - women, who we deem to be worthy of us, should be impressed that we deign to acknowledge their existence :banghead:

Manly Owners have totally lost touch with all aspects of REALITY :mad:
(Fixed)

everyone will be written off by the Penns, you mean?
People like the Penns only care about themselves and couldn't give a stuff about anyone else. It is always just about money for rich people

The complete lack of information from them and the club since they took over is a disgrace.

They have a complete lack of engagement with the fans and it will be interesting to see how next year pans out. If Barrett doesn't get instant results fans are going to be pissed.

From all reports we have no major sponsor next year and other sponsors are leaving. Not a good sign for the club

They should have kept Toovey in some sort of support/management role at the club. Would prefer that he had Kelly's job

This report has rocked me. If the Angles say the Penns are ignoring their wonderful work and importance to the culture to the club, then under their ownership this club may not be worth supporting. It's really worrying.

As long as the Sea Birds don't get the sack I am happy
well don't forget,Kelly came from souths,and they don't have cheers girls anymore.I dont know if he was there when that happened,thats right ,they got drummers there instead,Im with Kiwi,if they go,then I go

whats that saying,everything old is new again,in this case everything that is old,is gone. I can still see that smug look on his face the other day,When you 100% investment in the club,you can make what ever changes you want,or words to that effect

To be completely honest though - why do we need a separate female supporter group? We should be one group of supporters and that's it. My daughters are growing up members of the club, not part of a female specific subset. That carries on to all things.

Simplistic.

The Angels provide another avenue in which to promote the Sea Eagles in a positive light, with their various work and functions that often improve links between business and the club, and reaches out to 50% of the population that traditionally have been ignored in the advertising of the game.

As the first example of this kind in the League, other clubs quickly saw the benefits and developed their own versions.

It would appear backwards to walk from such an obviously successful marketing tool, managed by those with the love of this club at the heart of it.

What's going on?

Not even the Eagles Angels are safe:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...iders-parting-with-manly-20150730-ginrao.html

I hate it when corporates come in to "shake things up" and change everything.

They are killing Manly's culture.

I think Joe Kelly is an NRL plant to dismantle the Manly culture leaving an empty generic franchise for the NRL to move wherever they want. Sure looks that way.

NYEagle

NYE I said this some months ago. For my trouble I received a few dislikes and I think one troll. Therefore I said very little about this in recent times.

The NRL 'needs' one less team in Sydney and they seemed to have picked Manly for some reason. I don't know why they didn't pick Wests, Easts, Dogs or even Souths. Maybe because they have big corporate backing unlike Manly so maybe they have seen Manly as the weakest link.

My thoughts I expressed earlier were in summary, let Manly drop to her knees financially and with the NRL bailout be then forced to the Central Coast. One less team in Sydney and a lovely newish ground at Gosford.

Then Manly (Central Coast) will be allowed to rebuild and then become a force in the NRL again.

Mind you it wouldn't be all that bad because Manly would cover the Northern Beaches to the lower Central Coast in a very large junior basin. (For my personal thoughts, I'd like it because I live one hour north of Gosford and don't face a two or two and a half hour drive to Brookvale and then try to park which we all know is a problem.)

So if I am right and I hope I am not here is what may happen:

1 Continually give bad press coverage to every little misdemeanour to make a case of dysfunction within the club.
2 Limit the power of the Head Coach (2V) so he cannot buy the players he wants.
3 Allow factions to develop and publicise these faction's differences.
4 Have a mole in the boardroom to leak every damaging bit of dirty laundry.
5 Keep accomplishments to a minimum and under-play them as much as possible.
6 When the new coach comes in give him a bit of breathing room and then pounce.
7 Place people in positions of power who may not have the best interests of the club at heart but may be working to another agenda.
8 Disenfranchise the fan base so when a relocation is imminent there will be very little fan rumble.
9 Continually offer hope of a better stadium and an upgrade that will never happen.
10 Have a wonderful stadium available at another location.
11 Let the club die financially and then be 'forced' to relocate with a whopping NRL grant to re-establish the club at a new location.
12 This then can happen at a time best suited for those involved.
13 Continually promise one thing then fail to deliver and then 're-educate' the population to think the right outcome has been achieved.

To quote Joseph Goebbels:

“It would not be impossible to prove with sufficient repetition and a psychological understanding of the people concerned that a square is in fact a circle. They are mere words, and words can be moulded until they clothe ideas and disguise.”

“Think of the press as a great keyboard
on which the government can play.”

“Faith moves mountains, but only knowledge moves them to the right place...”

Anyway guys just my thoughts and I hope I am wrong. But I remember Peter Peters comments we won't move from Brookvale, voluntarily (paraphrasing).

By the way I am not a fan of any issm be that Communism or Fascism but I quote Goebbels simply as a mastermind of what can be done using propaganda.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8