Pre-Game Sharks v Manly [Round 21, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

26 30
PointsBet Stadium
23 Jul 2023 04:05 PM

Team Lists

And no-one even bothered screaming about Glenn Hall, he wasn't expected to get within coee of first grade, based on what he'd done at previous clubs. Someone saw something in him...
The important Key to your post feathered friend and the critical point that sums up the whole debate on this topic is your quote , Someone saw something in him .End quote

We all see different things ...
Some posters on here have seen nothing more from woods than what he was producing at his previous clubs that released him .
Woods in his prime and in the slower version game was a dominant player
but in the new fast game and in the twilight of his career he is not dominant
And as we know if we do not have a dominant man pack we get dominated

Nothing Personal towards any player from a personal perspective
The only thing personal to passionate fans is that Mediocre performances on the field tarnish our Legendary clubs great legacy of success

And no-one even bothered screaming about Glenn Hall, he wasn't expected to get within coee of first grade, based on what he'd done at previous clubs. Someone saw something in him...
Glen Hall was certainly a surprise packet and one of Crusher "s more astute pick ups ,
Referred to him as a bit of a Puffing Billy type prop previously and what a remarkable turnabout in consistent and real good form at Manly then as a 2 nd rower .
Really a credit to Glen actually . Maybe also a bit of a punt if he could have shown something better but did he what , especially in the 2008 G F

Yes a real gamble , it’s why I used him as my example.

And no superstar , just a toiler.

It’s what I think the coaching staff see in Woods , not going to win you games but also not going to lose you any through silly mistakes.
Think that Arron was more suited to a slightly earlier time when the quicker ruck speed or defensive requirements there was not as prevalent or required as recent seasons .
No doubt can do some useful things there but just a bit too limited for Manly "s needs right now and with the current forward and especially prop mix
Rodney had just that bit of an X factor about him and very effective in a lot of areas in and around the ruck .
Anyway just my take and maybe the selectors can see something or his contribution in his present game that i am missing .
Then again

Actually fairly hopeful that Lodge can offer some good go forward and go reasonably well in general . Keppie may just bounce back with a bit of vigor and determination and bring some good input as well . Ruck defence certainly not helped last week conceding so many 6 agains , hopefully Jake is a bit more refreshed then last outing
.Really can not understand Arron [ Woods] ahead of particularly Bullemor and even Sipley , coaching staff no doubt have their reasons but would be of interest to me why .
Just be so good to see a lot more variation in attack and the outside backs some much better opportunities but need the Shu to mainly lift big time there .
Sharks maybe down on form a bit but still some very formidable players .Good comeback last Brookie against them but certainly can "t afford to give them the jump tomorrow
.Playing a lot for pride now and anything better will be a bonus .
Actually just on Shane Rodney , pretty sure that he was a bit of a gamble being recruited after a terrible run with injuries . One of Manly "s most consistent players and most likely on modest money during his Manly stint then and can "t recall any more serious injuries also
Can "t recall him ever playing at prop though or at the Panthers , 2 nd row and maybe also 13 once at Manly but not sure on that one
Well put. I think we are closer than the bookies suggest in this one.

Interesting to see that all reserves named on the extended team list are playing reserve grade today, except Gordie.
Either late in for woods please let this be true or 18thman as bully was in reserve grade today

My mate, a Rooster diehard, reckons it will be interesting to see who runs the ball harder - Woods or Lodge.

His money is Woods on 2023 form.

They will be hard to split. Should be a real low light.
You gotta laugh or you'd cry. How did we get here? Penn family so much to answer for........

In the past five seasons, Cronulla have won the same number of games against teams in the NRL’s top eight as Wests Tigers.
Since the start of 2019, the Sharks have played 46 matches against teams in the top half of the ladder, and been victorious only on 10 occasions. Only the Gold Coast – excluding the Dolphins, who joined the NRL this year – with seven victories, have managed less

Cronulla’s inability to compete with the top sides was laid bare in last week’s resounding 44-12 loss to the Warriors. It’s an issue club officials are addressing internally as their season – 10 wins, seven losses for a sixth-place position at the start of the round – hangs in the balance.
The flipside is that when the Sharks come up against a team they are expected to beat, they almost always do. And when they win, they win well. They have scored 469 points this season (27.5 points a game), just six shy of Parramatta, who have played an extra game.
Cam McInnes (left) and the Sharks were hammered 54-10 by the Storm in June.CREDIT: NRL PHOTOS
However, their failure to topple the best teams has earned them a reputation as “flat-track bullies”, the cricketing term for batters who flourish on easy pitches but can’t make runs when the ball moves around on more demanding surfaces.
Cronulla forward Cameron McInnes was more concerned about his side’s resilience than its record against top sides.

“I don’t really buy into that,” McInnes says. “The way I look at it is that the times we’ve been challenged on the field, when it’s tough periods, we’re not showing the resilience to get out of that.
“It’s irrelevant where a team sits on the ladder; we need to get more resilient in certain patches. It’s not always going to go right, but at the moment we’re letting in one, then two, then three [tries]. That’s where the issue lies.
‘We talk about wanting to be a defensive club and we’re falling well short of that.’
Cronulla forward Cameron McInnes
“We know our system, we just have to have the attitude to stick to it over and over again.
“With that top-eight thing, I don’t want to delve too much into it, but when you beat a team coming ninth, they’re not in the top eight because you beat them.

“I look more at when completion rates are high and when the games aren’t as easy. Whether you sit 17th or first, it’s irrelevant. We all have the ability as NRL players.”
There will be no dodging the top sides in the weeks to come. The immediate priority will be Sunday’s clash with Manly, who must win to realistically keep alive their hopes of finals football. Fitzgibbon’s men then face defending premiers Penrith away and South Sydney in Perth. The Sharks also take on finals contenders the Cowboys and Raiders to finish the regular season.

The Sharks’ record against the top eight (over five seasons)​

• Played: 46
  • Won: 10
  • Lost: 36
  • Win rate: 21.74 per cent
  • Points for: 840
  • Points against: 1261
Asked if there was a mental hurdle when facing the contenders, fullback Will Kennedy said: “It’s always hard to face the top-eight teams. We’ve just got to learn from it. We’ve really got to work on it at training as well. We’ll work on it and fix it.”
The most glaring issue the Sharks need to address is their defence. When they concede points, it’s an avalanche. The collapse to the Warriors prompted Fitzgibbon to wield the axe, with Matt Moylan the highest-profile casualty. Moylan missed six tackles on a porous left edge that has a new look after Siosifa Talakai was demoted to the bench. Injured Wade Graham (toe) and Teig Wilton (knee) were left out of the side.

Braydon Trindall replaces Moylan, utility Connor Tracey is shuffled into the centres and Jesse Colquhoun is in the starting side for the first time.
McInnes said he felt partly responsible for Moylan’s dumping, given it’s his role to stiffen the defence.
“Obviously, we’re not happy with how we’ve been going, particularly defensively, throughout the season,” McInnes says.
“We talk about wanting to be a defensive club, and we’re falling well short of that.
“That’s what we want people to know us as. Our attack is really good, but the attack doesn’t win, that’s been proven time and time again.

“Not only is the defence more important, our defence is letting down our attack at times. It’s a cycle of the game we definitely want and need to fix.

“There’s been some changes, and we need to respond to that as a playing group, as a club. We need to start to show what we’re about. We face adversity at times, this is an important moment in our journey as a group.
“We want to respond in the right way and we’re looking forward to doing that.”
All is not lost. An upsurge of form and Cronulla could again cement a top-four finish. However, given the congestion of the ladder, a couple of poor performances could put the finals beyond reach.

“We need to prove that we are worthy of getting there,” Fitzgibbon said. “At the moment, we haven’t and that’s what’s coming up.

Glen Hall was certainly a surprise packet and one of Crusher "s more astute pick ups ,
Referred to him as a bit of a Puffing Billy type prop previously and what a remarkable turnabout in consistent and real good form at Manly then as a 2 nd rower .
Really a credit to Glen actually . Maybe also a bit of a punt if he could have shown something better but did he what , especially in the 2008 G F
Loved the fend/run over Inglis run to set up the next try in the 08 GF. I remember jumping out of my seat on this one..

Well said, Mark, Woods is a 'Shane Rodney type' player...not flashy but plays his part.
I don't think he's a liability and assume the football staff think similarly.

I'm not a massive fan but I am a fan of Woods because, as you say, he's relatively mistake free, which Keppie is not (why else would Keppie be on the outer?). Woods loves Manly and is fulfilling his dream to play here. Not many players are as passionate as him.

For what he's on, he's earning his coin which some other players are certainly not! I'll probably be crucified but it's just my opinion...
Are you seriously implying Woods has played mistake free football these past few weeks? How the hell do you come to that conclusion? He may not have dropped many balls or fallen off a tackle, but there are so many times where he hasn't even laid a hand on the opposition due to his lack of speed.

He has also chased too hard on the outside, been penalised on multiple occasions, (two of which resulted in us conceding a try in the ensuing set) and made zero impact with or without the ball. Jake has been guilty of giving away penalties as well, but he makes four times the amount of tackles. Jake also hits in defence where as Aaron usually allows 5-10 post contact metres.

If you can stomach the pain, go back and watch what happens when Woods comes on. Just focus on Aaron's game and get back to me.

Well said, Mark, Woods is a 'Shane Rodney type' player...not flashy but plays his part.
I don't think he's a liability and assume the football staff think similarly.

I'm not a massive fan but I am a fan of Woods because, as you say, he's relatively mistake free, which Keppie is not (why else would Keppie be on the outer?). Woods loves Manly and is fulfilling his dream to play here. Not many players are as passionate as him.

For what he's on, he's earning his coin which some other players are certainly not! I'll probably be crucified but it's just my opinion...
HE IS NOT MISTAKE FREE!

My goodness, what do you people watch?

Facts are good I agree feathered friend
and the fact is Rodney injury was the cause for his limited 2008 NRL game and not his form
facts
Injured in round 23, 2006, Rodney did not return to the NRL playing field until June, 2008. He underwent surgery on his ankle, spine and had two shoulder reconstructions.
You are correct. Shane Rodney was held in high regard at Penrith and played a big part in their grand final season. He was an integral member of that powerful Panthers team for six seasons. Shane was very quick and a great defender. Mr Rodney was 26 when he signed with Manly.

Sharon shouldn't be seeing first grade at this stage of his career. He has been washed for 3 years now.
Mate, I am mystified that some people see his inclusion in the side as worthwhile. I'm actually starting to think this is some Silvertails joke and old school posters are winding me up.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10